Reaction score
Tall, strong kid with a great arm.

[youtube]o3y6rILNmDo[/youtube]

OP
OP
S

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Of all the off-season machinations so far, this one has me wondering what is going on the most.

The guy is arguably the best QB available in the draft.

Any ideas?

iigakusei

Reaction score
These ulterior motive posts are so lame.
They are doing their homework in case San Fran or Arizona drafts him - that's it.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Here's what I would say about that. Not every visit and/or workout that the Seahawks have with players is necessarily about this year alone. So, let's say that 3 years down the road, Davis Webb ends up being cut by whatever team he's drafted by. The Seahawks (having already done their evaluation of him 3 years prior), have somewhat of a baseline from which to operate. So, moves like this they make aren't always about the here and now ... they are ALSO about the future as well. Like a master chess player, they are always thinking and evaluating possible moves they may make down the road. Under Schneider, the Hawks have been (and will continue to always) keep an eye on the future ... as well as focusing on the present as well.

OP
OP
S

semiahmoo

Reaction score
iigakusei":d8xx9mad said:
They are doing their homework in case San Fran or Arizona drafts him - that's it.

???

Could you explain the San Fran & Arizona angle as it pertains to the Hawks and this particular position?

Thanks.

OP
OP
S

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":12lp45kd said:
Here's what I would say about that. Not every visit and/or workout that the Seahawks have with players is necessarily about this year alone. So, let's say that 3 years down the road, Davis Webb ends up being cut by whatever team he's drafted by. The Seahawks (having already done their evaluation of him 3 years prior), have somewhat of a baseline from which to operate. So, moves like this they make aren't always about the here and now ... they are ALSO about the future as well. Like a master chess player, they are always thinking and evaluating possible moves they may make down the road. Under Schneider, the Hawks have been (and will continue to always) keep an eye on the future ... as well as focusing on the present as well.

Seems an evaluation now for a player 3 years down the road would be worthless/wasted time.

The Seahawks won't be anything like they are this season three seasons from now - including the coaches.

I thought they might be trying to fill the backup roll, but this kid could very well be a starter if the he's as good as some say.

Maybe he's not?

The announcement has to have a few brows arching upward wondering what the Hawks are up to.

iigakusei

Reaction score
semiahmoo":b4ewa82v said:
iigakusei":b4ewa82v said:

???

Could you explain the San Fran & Arizona angle as it pertains to the Hawks and this particular position?

Thanks.
Not that I really believe you care - but IMO they are doing their homework and getting a good look at him up close for the possibility they face him this year or maybe the next (as the QB for San Fran or Arizona). That is smart. It is what smart front offices do. It has absolutely zero to do with Russell Wilson.

OP
OP
S

semiahmoo

Reaction score
iigakusei":32soyim0 said:
semiahmoo":32soyim0 said:
iigakusei":32soyim0 said:

???

Thanks.
Not that I really believe you care - but IMO they are doing their homework and getting a good look at him up close for the possibility they face him this year or maybe the next (as the QB for San Fran or Arizona). That is smart. It is what smart front offices do. It has absolutely zero to do with Russell Wilson.

Why would it have anything to do with Russel Wilson? I thought perhaps they were looking at him as a backup, but he is being hyped as potentially the top QB in the draft so that seems unlikely.

So you think he would give up his time (Webb) to travel to Seattle so staff could check him out in case Seattle faces him this year or next?

Not sure that makes any sense.

mikeak

Reaction score
Here is what I heard on the radio this morning

They are doing this so they can get a feel for the value in case a team wants to trade up when Seattle is on the clock. The advantage with a first round pick (besides the better spot) is the ability to lock up the fifth year. This is extra important with a QB. So as in the past they can turn the 26th pick into an early second rounder with a bonus pick. Therefore they are looking at the QBs now to help determine the value in case a trade opportunity exists.......

This was on the Brock show with the ESPN beat writer (can't spell his name)

EDIT: Sheil Kapadia

jammerhawk

Reaction score
The team needs a legit backup QB as Boykin is trying to get himself incarcerated recently.

After the first three QBs many of the rest will drop sharply as the need for starters greatly outweighs the need for backups.

The team has additionally looked at other QBs this draft and are doing their homework.

OP
OP
S

semiahmoo

Reaction score
jammerhawk":36s4t8gk said:
The team needs a legit backup QB as Boykin is trying to get himself incarcerated recently.

After the first three QBs many of the rest will drop sharply as the need for starters greatly outweighs the need for backups.

The team has additionally looked at other QBs this draft and are doing their homework.

That was my initial thought as well, but some are saying (on other forums and related stories) that Webb might very well be the best QB in this year's draft so I figured a definite backup roll was not in his cards.

OP
OP
S

semiahmoo

Reaction score
mikeak":2yozflf7 said:

They are doing this so they can get a feel for the value in case a team wants to trade up when Seattle is on the clock. The advantage with a first round pick (besides the better spot) is the ability to lock up the fifth year. This is extra important with a QB. So as in the past they can turn the 26th pick into an early second rounder with a bonus pick. Therefore they are looking at the QBs now to help determine the value in case a trade opportunity exists.......

Ah, that does make some sense.

Thank you. I wasn't the only one wondering what the implications of this meeting were.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
semiahmoo":17snrlfi said:
Hawkscanner":17snrlfi said:

Seems an evaluation now for a player 3 years down the road would be worthless/wasted time.

The Seahawks won't be anything like they are this season three seasons from now - including the coaches.

I thought they might be trying to fill the backup roll, but this kid could very well be a starter if the he's as good as some say.

Maybe he's not?

The announcement has to have a few brows arching upward wondering what the Hawks are up to.

Absolutely not -- I'd argue that such evaluations of players go on all the time. I'll further add that moves like these aren't necessarily always about their own personnel needs either -- especially this time of year.

Let's say that Schneider and company get some good intel that either the 49ers and/or the Cardinals are seriously thinking about taking Davis Webb in the draft. And let's just say for argument's sake that's exactly what happens and the Niners draft him. It's now Week 7 of the regular season and Davis Webb finds himself in the starting lineup vs. the Seahawks. Well guess what? The Seahawks (having already done their homework Pre-Draft in bringing him in for a visit) ... have themselves a nice nifty little advanced scouting report of Mr. Davis. They have a good profile of his mentality, how he thinks on the field, his tendencies, his strengths and weaknesses, etc. So, moves like this I'd argue aren't necessarily always about them.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":3nlvmevw said:
Excellent points.
:2thumbs:

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
mikeak":15wy388o said:

That too and that makes perfect sense. There are MANY reasons for such evaluations like this come draft time -- ESPECIALLY when it comes to QB's.

OP
OP
S

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Fascinating.

Thank you for the info.

Be interesting to see how Webb does at the NFL level. He has all the attributes of the modern-era QB: Size, arm strength, good instincts, etc.

Seems like a nice young man.

mikeak

Reaction score
jammerhawk":1to9dnci said:

While I agree that a backup may be needed and taken in the draft there is just no way that I see Seattle drafting one in the first three rounds.

If they do someone should be fired.

When you have gaping holes elsewhere then you don't waste your pick on a backup