Seahawks one of three teams interested in FA DL Jared Odrick

Uncle Si

Reaction score
I'd think that FAs still out there are not priorities for any team but meant more to fill some depth. What are your thoughts?

tacomahawk

Reaction score
nash72":2yqnh248 said:
Uncle Si":2yqnh248 said:
nash72":2yqnh248 said:
Another Jaguar reject?

Yes?

Thanks. Just wanted to verify. I'm sure he'll excel no matter where he signs.

Of the FA that are out there, that we can still afford, who would you rather us look at? Or are you simply bemoaning every possibility per usual?

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
nash72":29nu519y said:
Another Jaguar reject?
You're the type that would have described Lynch as a Bills reject. Is Graham a Saints reject? Bennett a Bucaneers one?

Just come clean and tell everyone why you hate the Hawks. Go on it will be cathartic.

OP
OP
MontanaHawk05

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
nash72":3t9faqwb said:
Another Jaguar reject?

The defensive line is a bright spot for the Jags. Malik Jackson and Senderrick Marks are widely considered solid players, exactly the kind of player that sometimes hides valuable depth.

Odrick got 5.5 sacks in 2015 and kinda looks like a Red Bryant replacement. He's probably a solid rotational lineman at worst.

Jville

Reaction score
Mg2Fphoto2F20172F02202Fr182472 1296x518 52D2

Thanks for posting :2thumbs:

Here is another write up from Jordan Raanan ESPN Staff Writer >>> [urltargetblank]http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-giants/post/_/id/51419/defensive-lineman-jared-odrick-has-attracted-interest-from-giants-others[/urltargetblank]

nash72

Reaction score
Uncle Si":30h79j43 said:
I'd think that FAs still out there are not priorities for any team but meant more to fill some depth. What are your thoughts?

My thoughts are that I dont feel we should be spending any money on a player thats coming off an injury and cant make a mediocre to bad team like the Jaguars. All this talk about depth, but very rarely a difference maker. Resigning McDaniel makes just as much sense since neither are more than just a body to feel a space with little to no aspirations. Quit wasting money.

nash72

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":us3znouv said:
nash72":us3znouv said:
Another Jaguar reject?
You're the type that would have described Lynch as a Bills reject. Is Graham a Saints reject? Bennett a Bucaneers one?

Those players were actually good before they came here. I dont think those players are fair comparisons when talking about Jared Odrick.

nash72

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":eiuetdle said:
nash72":eiuetdle said:
Another Jaguar reject?
Odrick got 5.5 sacks in 2015 and kinda looks like a Red Bryant replacement. He's probably a solid rotational lineman at worst.

That was 2 years ago. He's probably a solid rotational lineman at best to be honest.

Whatever, Odrick doesnt deserve all these posts, but sometimes I wish we would quit signing 7 to 8 players and use the money on at least one difference maker. Depth is nice but if none of the players are any good, whats the point?

Seafan

Reaction score
nash72":e5c2ffxe said:
MontanaHawk05":e5c2ffxe said:
nash72":e5c2ffxe said:
Another Jaguar reject?

That was 2 years ago. He's probably a solid rotational lineman at best to be honest.

Whatever, Odrick doesnt deserve all these posts, but sometimes I wish we would quit signing 7 to 8 players and use the money on at least one difference maker. Depth is nice but if none of the players are any good, whats the point?

In before the lock/move.

Quit wasting money, huh? Most of these guys aren't costing a cent if they don't make the team. This is just typical off season adding to the pile. You can't get better if you don't bring in competition. None of us know if Odrick is better or worse than McDaniel. If JS/PC are interested in bringing him in then I'm interested. They know better than us.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
nash72":oqrfk8qs said:
MontanaHawk05":oqrfk8qs said:
nash72":oqrfk8qs said:
Another Jaguar reject?

You don't understand the point of depth?

It's ridiculous to question the point or purpose of an overall FA philosophy based on moves like this. Signing cheap depth doesn't impact the teams ability to sign bigger FA targets.

You also continue to question these moves without providing a list of players the team could sign if they pass on this one.

nash72

Reaction score
Uncle Si":297dhzkk said:
nash72":297dhzkk said:
MontanaHawk05":297dhzkk said:

You don't understand the point of depth?

It's ridiculous to question the point or purpose of an overall FA philosophy based on moves like this. Signing cheap depth doesn't impact the teams ability to sign bigger FA targets.

You also continue to question these moves without providing a list of players the team could sign if they pass on this one.

I understand it, but sometimes I feel the cons sometimes outweigh the pro's. Take this as an example. Say a guy races cars and he has four Yugo's and he goes out and buys another for cheap to add to the stable in case one of the others breaks down or the others arent running well. Thats great, but he still has a stable of Yugo's. Sometimes a better vehicle with more performance would benefit you instead of the same old under powered junk you had before. Sure, you would have to quit buying those junk cars and save money to afford the upgrade, but the performance would be worth it. The Dline has been an issue as of late. Save up and get somebody to fix the problem instead of another guy that just contributes to it.

Somebody mentioned Marks earlier. Why not go after him? You know, a guy not coming off of injury and actually played last season.

tacomahawk

Reaction score
nash72":17l8tcob said:
MontanaHawk05":17l8tcob said:
nash72":17l8tcob said:
Another Jaguar reject?

League minimum contracts for a few people do not add up to the millions of dollars required to sign one of the so called difference makers you speak of. So again, and you have been asked this many times, who would you have signed, and who would you do away with to pay for it? Kicking the tires to find depth is smart football management.

OP
OP
MontanaHawk05

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
"Coming off an injury" is not a guarantee that he's gonna suck.

And..."that was 2 years ago"? So what? That's just a weak argument. He was cut for cap reasons, not really performance reasons.

The "difference-makers" are out of our price range, for good reason. We have a ridiculous amount of Pro Bowl talent already on the roster and it's not cheap to keep them. At some point, you're just going to have to accept that money does not grow on trees even for the Seahawks, and that the "cheap churn" they've always done is a valid method to get around that obstacle.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Marks? How much would he be? How much better is he for the team and is that value worth the cost? By spending money there what is sacrificed elsewhere?

Questions the team would be asking. Answers probably not as easy "what about that guy someone mentioned"

QuahHawk

Reaction score
I'm interested in Odrick. The guy has had some success in this league and is a starter caliber, would be a great 3rd rotational guy and would dampen the need to draft a DT with one of our early picks.

28th Pick in 2010 Draft out of Penn State
29yo 6'5 298lbs
Jared Ordick has had a relatively healthy career and has played in all 16 games 5 of his 7 years. Not rookie or last year.
Had >4.5 Sacks in 4 or 5 seasons he played the 16 games.

I'm interested. I'd give him $8M over two years.