I have found myself demanding instead of expecting

bevellisthedevil

Reaction score
This is not meant to be a negative thread, more a post of self reflection. I haven't enjoyed the Seahawks the past couple of years like I have in the past.

I used to be excited at the prospect that we could be a really good team and make a run. I enjoyed the build up of the team and the improvement from year to year. I had hopes every year that this year could be the year and when it finally happened I was ecstatic.

Then expectation wasn't enough.

I found myself demanding success which I know is unrealistic. However, when you are "fanatical" or a fan, realism doesn't matter.

I demand they play better. I demand they call better plays. I demand they dominate everyone. I demand a dynasty.

Time to hit reset. I am looking forward to the draft. They are not world champions. I expect they have a chance to fight again for the Lombardi if the cards fall right.

RiverDog

Reaction score
bevellisthedevil":3qvi0wia said:
This is not meant to be a negative thread, more a post of self reflection. I haven't enjoyed the Seahawks the past couple of years like I have in the past.

I used to be excited at the prospect that we could be a really good team and make a run. I enjoyed the build up of the team and the improvement from year to year. I had hopes every year that this year could be the year and when it finally happened I was ecstatic.

I found myself demanding success which I know is unrealistic. However, when you are "fanatical" or a fan, realism doesn't matter.

I demand they play better. I demand they call better plays. I demand they dominate everyone. I demand a dynasty.

Time to hit reset. I am looking forward to the draft. They are not world champions. I expect they have a chance to fight again for the Lombardi if the cards fall right.

I hear ya. Pete's raised my expectations, as did Holmgren as far as that goes. Simply making the playoffs or winning the wild card game isn't good enough anymore. And these last two editions haven't been anywhere near as good as the previous 3. I sense that we're slipping. I don't think it's time to blow the team up and start over as we still have a solid core, particularly on defense and at quarterback, but if we don't get things turned around soon, then we're going to have to at least start thinking about hitting ctrl/alt/delete and starting over. Father Time is relentless.

But at least we're not Browns fans. That team gets blown up every weekend.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
If you can maintain this new mindset, it will help you enjoy the journey more. Not sure of your age, but from an NFL perspective, this era we are in could be the best days of your life. So why rush it and always be looking ahead to that game in February? And sadder yet, assessing its value to your enjoyment standards by whether or not we make that game.

You and I have had our battles on here -- and that's fine, but also perplexing somewhat as we both cheer for the same team and want success for that team. I'm getting up there in age and I just have to tell you that in all my years watching the NFL, these last 6 have been the most enjoyable of my life. What John, Pete and his staff have done in a relatively short period of time to pull this franchise up from its bootstraps has been such a fun ride and each season has its daily morsels to savor.

I guess I'm just saying it's a good time to take pride in this team and celebrate being a Seahawks fan right now because we have it pretty good. And happy Easter!

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
I mentioned something similar to this in a thread a few weeks ago where a poster actually used the word "demand", and you are absolutely right.

Jville

Reaction score
bevellisthedevil":26oaxpac said:

You reap what you sow.

:177692: I have no sympathy for you. You have done it to yourself.

And, as you have acknowledged, It's up to you to learn from it and change.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
bevellisthedevil":3cy0pprz said:

I applaud you. Yours is NOT a negative thread.

It is what real fans demand.

The quest for perfection.

And given ticket prices, I don't find that negative at all.

The Hawks must do better or reset button is in order. You have it exactly right.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
semiahmoo":3edi311y said:
bevellisthedevil":3edi311y said:

The Hawks must do better or reset button is in order. You have it exactly right.
Do you even read the threads before you respond? He's saying this is what he used to be like before he had his nirvana moment. In other words, he used to be like you before he realized that was wrong.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
RiverDog":2bn0uect said:
bevellisthedevil":2bn0uect said:

I hear ya. Pete's raised my expectations, as did Holmgren as far as that goes. Simply making the playoffs or winning the wild card game isn't good enough anymore. And these last two editions haven't been anywhere near as good as the previous 3. I sense that we're slipping. I don't think it's time to blow the team up and start over as we still have a solid core, particularly on defense and at quarterback, but if we don't get things turned around soon, then we're going to have to at least start thinking about hitting ctrl/alt/delete and starting over. Father Time is relentless.

But at least we're not Browns fans. That team gets blown up every weekend.

Yup. Last couple seasons have been sub-par for sure. Sure, we used to be fans who were satisfied over just making the playoffs.

NO MORE.

Holmgren and then Pete even more so instilled in Seahawk fans the expectation of being Super Bowl competitive every season. We want a dynasty run like a select few other cities have had.

If this season does not turn around the decline you are right to point out regarding the previous two, changes will be made. Big ones.

GO HAWKS.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
semiahmoo":hw1h2ryx said:
bevellisthedevil":hw1h2ryx said:

Ah yes, the "real fan" card has been played.

That's EXACTLY the sort of thing that promotes mature and laid-back discussion on a sports forum.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I think with this team's talent level ask for another Super Bowl win is not too much to ask.

Of course talent alone won't win you lombardi's.

You need great coaching, great execution, ability to stay relatively healthy, and a little luck, along with great talent.

nash72

Reaction score
Anything less than a Super Bowl win is a failure. I'm not content with making the playoffs by default and losing in the 2nd round. We have the talent now so it needs to be now.

Jville

Reaction score
Entitlement ... some fans become drunk on illusions of entitlement.

They become so incapacitated by it they can't think straight. Lacking sober comprehension, diversions of blame consume them by default. In the off season, they cluster like addicts going thru withdraws.

In the Seahawk program, there are no accommodation for illusions of entitlement. So ..... don't feel sorry for them. Their frustrations and lashing out is of their own making.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
^^^^ So perfectly stated!! Now, does the OP feel he was in the grips of this very frame of mind and if so, how did he see the light and what steps have been taken to change his attitude? Maybe others could learn.

Hawks46

Reaction score
nash72":3lwyt2me said:
Anything less than a Super Bowl win is a failure. I'm not content with making the playoffs by default and losing in the 2nd round. We have the talent now so it needs to be now.

This is likely why your posts are usually overly negative and cynical. Talent comes and goes. We have one of the best FO's and coaching staffs in the league. If i were you, I'd save it for when Pete leaves, then we'll really see how our franchise can adapt.

I thought the same thing after 2006. Thoughts like:

"welp, there goes the window. we're screwed"
"dang, know how hard it is to find a starting QB in this league? Once Hass is gone, we're screwed"
"which coach is going to be able to come in and clean up this mess ?!?! We're Screwed!"

nash72

Reaction score
Hawks46":1earfh96 said:
Talent comes and goes.

Yes, but we have it now and thats why its such a shame we did nothing to improve our horrid Oline. We wont move forward until that mess is fixed.

We have one of the best FO's and coaching staffs in the league.

If you say so.

If i were you, I'd save it for when Pete leaves, then we'll really see how our franchise can adapt.

Why cant I want to win now?

I thought the same thing after 2006. Thoughts like:

"welp, there goes the window. we're screwed"
"dang, know how hard it is to find a starting QB in this league? Once Hass is gone, we're screwed"
"which coach is going to be able to come in and clean up this mess ?!?! We're Screwed!"

I knew we werent going back after the 2005 season. It was over as soon as Hutch left.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
semiahmoo":22neyssq said:
Yup. Last couple seasons have been sub-par for sure. Sure, we used to be fans who were satisfied over just making the playoffs.

NO MORE.

Holmgren and then Pete even more so instilled in Seahawk fans the expectation of being Super Bowl competitive every season. We want a dynasty run like a select few other cities have had.

If this season does not turn around the decline you are right to point out regarding the previous two, changes will be made. Big ones.

GO HAWKS.

Unrealistic.
Spoiled children make "demands", and when they don't get what they want, they throw tantrums, and make silly idle "Unrealistic" threats.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
I agree that we're allowed to have high expectations of our team, given we pay money to make them exist.

But that's a different thing than labeling a perennial playoff contender as "bad" or "subpar". They're not "bad" or "subpar". They're the top 25% of the league every year. They just get out-executed on a few plays every playoffs, and you end up losing.

mrt144

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1ugwuhye said:
I agree that we're allowed to have high expectations of our team, given we pay money to make them exist.

But that's a different thing than labeling a perennial playoff contender as "bad" or "subpar". They're not "bad" or "subpar". They're the top 25% of the league every year. They just get out-executed on a few plays every playoffs, and you end up losing.

I think that makes it more frustrating. To be able to see the fruit, smell the fruit, hold in your hands and then nope, just a few plays short of actually tasting it.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Jville":nbizgo10 said:
Entitlement ... some fans become drunk on illusions of entitlement.

They become so incapacitated by it they can't think straight. Lacking sober comprehension, diversions of blame consume them by default. In the off season, they cluster like addicts going thru withdraws.

In the Seahawk program, there are no accommodation for illusions of entitlement. So ..... don't feel sorry for them. Their frustrations and lashing out is of their own making.
Amen ^.....Self induced unhappiness.
LOL It's the old "Want In One Hand, Shit In The Other, And See Which One Fills Up The Fastest"

chawx

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":2haczbjz said:
If you can maintain this new mindset, it will help you enjoy the journey more. Not sure of your age, but from an NFL perspective, this era we are in could be the best days of your life. So why rush it and always be looking ahead to that game in February? And sadder yet, assessing its value to your enjoyment standards by whether or not we make that game.

You and I have had our battles on here -- and that's fine, but also perplexing somewhat as we both cheer for the same team and want success for that team. I'm getting up there in age and I just have to tell you that in all my years watching the NFL, these last 6 have been the most enjoyable of my life. What John, Pete and his staff have done in a relatively short period of time to pull this franchise up from its bootstraps has been such a fun ride and each season has its daily morsels to savor.

I guess I'm just saying it's a good time to take pride in this team and celebrate being a Seahawks fan right now because we have it pretty good. And happy Easter!

:ditto:
This is a great post and should be re-read