Gary Gilliam signed to offer sheet by 49ers

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Can't wait for JS to match and everyone to flip out. :lol:

endzorn

Reaction score
This reminds me of how devastated the team was when we lost Grant Williams after the '99 season. We didn't have anyone who could whiff on blocks with uncanny efficiency and still have the guts to cash his paycheck.

Jville

Reaction score
Resourceful move by John Lynch. Makes a lot of sense for a team going thru a lot of necessary roster change. 49ers fast forward past the first three development years to add the man Michael Bennett named as a break out candidate for 2017.
[tweet]https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/854151815419617281[/tweet]
Ya place your bets and takes your chances.

Edit Add >>> [tweet]https://twitter.com/SheilKapadia/status/854156880050081793[/tweet]

Jville

Reaction score
I'd say they are a little thin at the moment.

The Seahawk OL roster would decrease from 11 to 10. The 49er OL roster would increase from 9 to 10.

I seem to recall a target number of about 15 candidates going into training camp. That provides an allowance of about 2 or 3 conditioning, injury or learning losses. So ... they may be looking to add up to 5 additional linemen.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
Seahawks retain the right of first refusal.

Meaning, if they refuse to match the $2.2 million . . . that says all you need to know about what they think of Garry Gilliam.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
They regularly have 12-15 candidates however all but 10 are camp bodies and PS players. The team has serious weakness at OT.

The RFA offer they have now for Gilliam is $1.797 million and that sum is accounted for in the team's cap. The SF offer @ $2.2 million is only $423 K less so the structure of SF's offer is important b/c the Hawks deal is not guaranteed and the SF offer is partially and that makes it an interesting difference that will give the team pause for thought. For this difference I can see JS matching as the team knows what they have in Gilliam which is backup level T play. Nothing special but barely adequate and probably better any reserve the team might find after the 1st rd. of the draft.

I think the team will likely match guaranteed or not.

BTW the team actually has 11 OLine players under contract and an offer outstanding to Gilliam which has just been upped by SF. If we include Ifedi in the tackle numbers the team with Gilliam would have 4 OTs, and only 2 are adequate at LT, Gilliam isn't one. There are a few others: Odhiambo, perhaps Pericak, and Britt in a pinch, who can play RT in a pinch.

Seymour

Reaction score
Uncle Si":dnj1pccj said:
So the very thin OL is now thinner?

Doesn't have to be. We can match it and prob. should. If he ends up being depth, great. We at least have some experience at backup.

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
He would be a quality backup. He has youth, starting experience and can potentially fill in temporarily at both tackle spots. I say keep him one more year so these young guys have that time to grow their game.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Garry has made some great strides and is becoming one of the best pass protectors we have. Lock him up and let him compete, damn it.

Josea16

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2rzken2u said:
It will be epic. Hope he can go Plan B. Just sign some fat grocery clerk as UFDA already. GTFO Gilliam. What a joke he is good luck Ninnies.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Josea16":22dpbm5k said:
Hasselbeck":22dpbm5k said:
It will be epic. Hope he can go Plan B. Just sign some fat grocery clerk as UFDA already. GTFO Gilliam. What a joke he is good luck Ninnies.

Hey, I'm a 6'1", 280 lb grocery clerk.
Dang it Carroll, sign me! I'll protect Russell!!

Josea16

Reaction score
Jerhawk":r1j0hoja said:
Josea16":r1j0hoja said:
Hasselbeck":r1j0hoja said:

Hey, I'm a 6'1", 280 lb grocery clerk.
Dang it Carroll, sign me! I'll protect Russell!!
Do it! Personally I think you're camp fodder, but what do I know?

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
This is just a scheme fit kind of thing for the 49ers. Moving away from a power scheme to a zone blocking scheme and all. I don't see why Seattle would match given that he was going to fighting for his job anyway.

mikeak

Reaction score
I know our offer wasn't guaranteed but we should have a pretty darn good idea if we want him on the roster or not (and we does not equal this forum but the FO)

If that is the case this just changes things $400k which is nothing