A favorable video look at George Fant

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
[youtube]W_vsgJVakW0[/youtube]

This video did raise an eyebrow with me. The videomaker's omission of Fant's tape against the Cardinals - by far his worst game of the season - did nothing to quiet suspicious of bias. You have to include that. Fant was awful against Arizona. Dangerously awful.

But in the end, I don't doubt the videomaker's conclusion. Fant has the building blocks necessary to succeed at the position. That's not a guarantee that he will; as Carroll said, he's going to have to earn the position back from Joeckel. But since some of you are convinced that Joeckel is Satan, don't be surprised if Fant does win it back.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
I'm very bullish on Fant's prospects. The athleticism really leaps off the screen even more than his inexperience.

It seemed very clear to me, that the only thing holding him back from a Terron Armstead ascension to the upper echelon of OTs, are the nuts and bolts of his craft. Technique wise, he's just all over the map. And that should surprise nobody. When he looks bad, it's virtually always because he's not recognizing and using proper technique or he's not recognizing his assignment. When he recognizes who he is supposed to block and what the defender is trying to do -- he wins those battles.

This is his second offseason. I expect him to improve a great deal. But I don't think he'll be sufficiently ready to handle a starting role with confidence. That should come after his third offseason. Of all of the new players we added last year, there is no higher ceiling player than Fant. From a footwork and agility perspective, he's probably top 5 in the entire NFL. He's incredibly smooth and balanced and able to redirect and mirror almost perfectly from an athletic perspective. He simply needs quicker recognition.

That's of course not a given. He may never acquire that ability. But he flashed sufficiently even last year to warrant a roster spot the next couple of years. And there is a realistic expectation that come 2018/19 -- you see his name on one of those hindsight/redraft articles on the 2016 class.

I still see him as the one player who can single handedly make his draft class successful.

OP
OP
MontanaHawk05

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Thanks for your thoughts, Attyla.

Fan perception is going to be interesting when it comes to the LT competition. Last year, when the OL got routinely criticized, I noticed a funny thing: the criticism towards Fant was much quieter. Not non-existent, but much quieter. I'm not sure why - my guess is that fans have a generally more favorable attitude towards UDFAs who outshine their stock than a free agent who doesn't. But Fant's drafting position didn't change how awful he was. He was the worst starting lineman on the team, just for cheaper. I'm pretty sure he was responsible for far more pressures than any other lineman, including the one that got Wilson's pec hurting.

Yet people have pretty much already made up their minds on Joeckel. So if the offense struggles in September, you know who's going to get blamed, perhaps justly. Given the possibility of Fant improving with a full offseason of work and the persistent sentiment of "well, a change can never make things worse", I fully expect there to be Chants for Fant come October.

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
Man, I really appreciate this guy. He does a fantastic job with these, even if he didn't include fants worst game. This has reinvigorated my hope for Fant. I think he will become the left tackle we all hope for. I'm glad they have bought him some time to sit and grow. This really reinforces the idea that they won't be taking a left tackle in the early rounds of the draft. I don't know if they will go after a lineman period in the first few rounds. I kind of don't want them to. Time to restock some stud defensive players.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2lslre2g said:
Yet people have pretty much already made up their minds on Joeckel. So if the offense struggles in September, you know who's going to get blamed, perhaps justly. Given the possibility of Fant improving with a full offseason of work and the persistent sentiment of "well, a change can never make things worse", I fully expect there to be Chants for Fant come October.

Joeckel is what should have happened last year, a competent placeholder at LT until Fant fully develops.

Instead we cheaped out with Webb, and got what we paid for.

I still think we overpaid for Joeckel, but something had to be done at LT to give Fant more time to develop.

Seahawker86

Reaction score
I was really hoping that Joeckle would play LG but I have a feeling our starting LG is I'm this draft. Ifedi should be moving to RT which IMO will be an upgrade over Gilliam.

The good news is this new o-line can only be Bette than last year's. Gilliam was horrible and I'm going to assume Ifedi will be better seeing how that's his natural position.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
kthebestwayw":1vyatb0z said:
I was really hoping that Joeckle would play LG but I have a feeling our starting LG is I'm this draft. Ifedi should be moving to RT which IMO will be an upgrade over Gilliam.

The good news is this new o-line can only be Bette than last year's. Gilliam was horrible and I'm going to assume Ifedi will be better seeing how that's his natural position.

Don't worry, we have a long line of draft picks and signings that were suppose to play tackle and stunk so bad they ended up at guard. So there's hope for Joeckel.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Fant is already one of the top 2 O-linemen in the league and a likely Hall of Famer in ten years.

If his QB was better he'd be getting a lot more respect from fans.

The guy is an absolute beast and one of the most intelligent O-Line players of the last half century.

55c3ff6e2e33bimage

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":35vrsnmn said:

Fan perception is going to be interesting when it comes to the LT competition. Last year, when the OL got routinely criticized, I noticed a funny thing: the criticism towards Fant was much quieter. Not non-existent, but much quieter. I'm not sure why - my guess is that fans have a generally more favorable attitude towards UDFAs who outshine their stock than a free agent who doesn't.

I can't speak for everyone. I expect there is a taint of that in some circles.

I'd counter with a few things. We've had R6 -R8 guys in before (Bailey, Bowie, Hunt, Seymour etc.). Guys with similarly low expectations. And fans weren't more favorable to those necessarily. They were/are limited athletes with no discernable upside.

Fant is kind of in the Garrett Scott/Kristjian Sokoli camp. Guys that are impressive athletes. Still saddened that Scott never got the chance to show what he could do. Sokoli was an athletic specimen but basically never flashed that ability.

Fant already has flashed dominant quality at times. So he's very much unlike any of the other late round fliers we've had (suspect athletes or too raw to even shine on a limited basis). I think we should be very encouraged by how Fant is unlike the other late round guys we've rolled through here. There is a legitimate, reasoned basis for why Fant has earned that distinction of expectation.

But Fant's drafting position didn't change how awful he was. He was the worst starting lineman on the team

No argument here. He wasn't any better (or worse) based on draft position. He was a very mixed bag.

The UDFA status didn't change the emprical outcome. However, I believe it's critical to judge all things in context. There is no realistic expectation that anyone should have had that he wouldn't be at times awful. Maybe at all times awful.

As bad as he was overall (and he was the worst). He also outperformed vastly what should have been expected of him. Even more than that, he actually showed stretches of play where he gave a brief window into tangible quality.

And in keeping with context, I would remind critics that Fant was basically playing the 2nd hardest position in the NFL. It's not like he was playing RG where raw/suspect players cut their teeth. He was playing the premier position on the line. Should there be an allowance for that? I would think so.

I don't get that either. If Joeckel was a 3rd round pick, he'd have been considered successful. The same people that have already made up their minds about Joeckel are the same people that have begged for "just an average OL". Well Joeckel is basically that. If not even a shade above it. I have not made up my mind on Joeckel at all. At this stage, I see him as a very valuable bridge player for Fant. With the added bonus of positional flexibility which will allow for us to still recoup value from the sunk cost of his contract as the year progresses should the light start to come on for Fant. That's assuming Joeckel plays LT.

I don't think Fant will be ready this year. Showing flashes of quality is not meeting minimum expectation. Consistency is the metric. And it's simply not realistic to think that Fant will be there after his second training camp. But I do expect that having the under fire experience of half a season of starts will accelerate his development. Not only did it give him a solid base of what the life of an NFL left tackle entails. But to also go into this second camp with a measure of confidence that he can dominate.

He has so far to go based on his total absence of experience. But his development should be on a bullet train track this year. If it's October and he's being called on to start (injury or otherwise), I fully expect to see a different player. He may not meet the consistency needed. But he should be a lot closer. I could even be comfortable with a measure of expectation that he could be 'the one' by the end of the regular season should that scenario arise. The trick is to not get the franchise killed in the process.

sam1313

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":r7qm43co said:

Fan perception is going to be interesting when it comes to the LT competition. Last year, when the OL got routinely criticized, I noticed a funny thing: the criticism towards Fant was much quieter. Not non-existent, but much quieter. I'm not sure why - my guess is that fans have a generally more favorable attitude towards UDFAs who outshine their stock than a free agent who doesn't. But Fant's drafting position didn't change how awful he was. He was the worst starting lineman on the team, just for cheaper. I'm pretty sure he was responsible for far more pressures than any other lineman, including the one that got Wilson's pec hurting.

While I admittedly have not done my homework to say this with any real precision, from my perspective Fant was quite a bit better than Sowell or Webb, both of whom were flat embarrasing at times.

It is probably also due to the fact that I think it is easier to have hope for Fant given that he obviously had the ability from the first game he played, whereas Webb and Sowell had been playing OL for years and were routinely getting beat by speed, power, and wits. Thus, even if all three players had approximately the same number of failures per game, it was much easier to like Fant given that he provides hope for the future....

jammerhawk

Reaction score
The competition for Fant from Joeckel for the LT position is a good thing. I have nothing but regard for Fant who with zero experience at the position survived and played well enough to be a keeper going forward if he continues to grow as an OLineman. Given haw much he improved as the season progressed I am of the belief the tem sees a real future for him in Seattle. Seattle will control Fant's rights for at least two or more seasons, he's already a better OT than most of the rest on the roster. Time will tell, the competition will allow the better player (Joecke v. Fant) to win the LT job for the season and both will be an improvement over last season simply because of Fant's playing experience.

For us Joeckel's history may cause some to think he's an overpriced bum, but I don't agree. Joeckel is very athletic as is Fant. Joeckel has an experience history of playing LT although to now he's shown more as a pro as a LG. Frankly b/c his development as a LT has been interrupted by injury he will need to be healthy to win the competition against Fant, but at least the team will have some depth that is not a joke at LT.

This will be an interesting situation when TC starts.

kobebryant

Reaction score
I am actually okay with the negative being buried here and just going with the positive, which I wouldn't normally say.

The reason being is that I don't fault Fant in any way for anything negative that happened to him on the field last year; all of Fant's "bad" is entirely on the front office and coaching staff for putting a college basketball player in that position. Whereas, inversely, anything good that he did, he deserves the lions share of the credit for being that kind of athlete, learner and worker.

A-Dog

Reaction score
The prototype ZBS left tackle, and arguably the best left tackle in the game today, is Trent Williams. By some accounts he was the guy that Alex Gibbs, our O-Line coach at the time and a ZBS guru, really wanted when they ended up with Okung.

If you look at the pre-draft measurables of Williams and Fant, they are eerily similar. Williams was a little heavier, and there is no arm/hand measurement for Fant (other than Cable calling him "a long-armed athlete") but all of the other numbers are really, really close. It's easy to see why the Seahawks took a chance on him and are invested in his future:

Height:
Williams: 6045
Fant: 6047

Weight:
Williams: 315
Fant: 296

Arms:
Williams: 34 1/4”
Fant: N/A

Hands:
Williams: 9 3/4”
Fant: N/A

40-yd dash:
Williams: 4.88 s
Fant: 4.84 s

20-yd split:
Williams: 2.87 s
Fant: 2.82 s

10-yd split:
Williams: 1.72 s
Fant: 1.77 s

225 Bench:
Williams: 23 reps
Fant: 22 reps

Vertical:
Williams: 34.5”
Fant: 37”

Broad:
Williams: 09’5”
Fant: 09’11”

20 yd shuttle:
Williams: 4.63 s
Fant: 4.54 s

3-Cone:
Williams: 7.64 s
Fant: 7.20 s

One other thing that is a little frustrating about this board is how a general sentiment on a player (especially on the O-Line, which is very difficult for an average fan to evaluate), gets set in stone pretty early on, usually after one particular article comes out and it becomes gospel on a player's ability and potential. Not only that, it's either "he's amazing!" or "he sucks!" There's no middle ground. It's funny how posters attitudes about Joekel took a sharp negative downturn after the overthecap article.

nash72

Reaction score
The biggest difference between Trent Williams and Fant is that Williams was an All American college football player and Fant was a ,,,,,,,,,, basketball player.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
nash72":edo06pmo said:
The biggest difference between Trent Williams and Fant is that Williams was an All American college football player and Fant was a ,,,,,,,,,, basketball player.

Difference between Jimmy Graham, Antonio Gates and (insert real good College TE name here)

A-Dog

Reaction score
nash72":1aqfz7pn said:
yeah, no sh*t

that doesn't discredit the post, which was never about his experience or skill... the point is that physically, Fant is pretty much the prototype ZBS LT

nash72

Reaction score
A-Dog":2hn6dxig said:
nash72":2hn6dxig said:
yeah, no sh*t

that doesn't discredit the post, which was never about his experience or skill... the point is that physically, Fant is pretty much the prototype ZBS LT

The post didnt make much sense. Your trying to justify Fant because he's physically similar to Williams? There's millions of people out there that are physically similar to Williams, but that doesnt mean they will or could establish the same skill set. I'm sorry, but Fant is awful as is Jokel and its hard to believe that the organization allowed themselves to be in this situation. It'll be a miracle if Wilson lasts the season.

A-Dog

Reaction score
nash72":197nwaqp said:
A-Dog":197nwaqp said:
nash72":197nwaqp said:
yeah, no sh*t

The post didnt make much sense. Your trying to justify Fant because he's physically similar to Williams? There's millions of people out there that are physically similar to Williams, but that doesnt mean they will or could establish the same skill set. I'm sorry, but Fant is awful as is Jokel and its hard to believe that the organization allowed themselves to be in this situation. It'll be a miracle if Wilson lasts the season.
No, there are not millions of people out there physically similar to Williams.

There are almost none.

Fant is in the 97th percentile of NFL players at his position in terms of athletic ability as measured by pSPARQ... not a perfect metric but pretty much the best available, and it's known that the Seahawks place value in it.

https://3sigmaathlete.com/rankings2016/ol/

And it's not just pSPARQ, it's how closely they measure across the board.

I never stated or even implied that Fant would establish the same skillset. I simply provided objective data showing that their physical profiles were extremely similar.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
nash72":1n6awses said:

YUP. I can see B-Ball players working out as a tight end in the NFL.

O-Lineman? Hmmm...