John Schnieder presser

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
He was on Seahawks live for a while...then the feed broke off. Maybe there will be a repeat of the predraft presser later on today. I think it started at 11 pacific time.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Thanks "Fan80". It is clear that the FO is in "lock jaw" formation regarding any information as to what they are going to do. I get the feeling that they realize that they cannot make any major mistakes this coming
Thursday.

StoneCold

Reaction score
In this day of smart phones everywhere and the NSA listening to everyone they can't put a microphone where a reporters question can be heard?

London12

Reaction score
Huge long write-up of this presser available on the Seahawks sub on Reddit. Probably too much to post here but there's some interesting stuff.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
London12":chfnt4ro said:
Huge long write-up of this presser available on the Seahawks sub on Reddit. Probably too much to post here but there's some interesting stuff.

LOVE that Reddit. Might be the best place for breaking Seahawks news/discussion on the NET.

Present company excluded, of course!

jammerhawk

Reaction score
StoneCold":leeo1v62 said:
In this day of smart phones everywhere and the NSA listening to everyone they can't put a microphone where a reporters question can be heard?

Completely agree, it's a pet peeve, every press conference is treated as if it's a necessary annoyance and hearing the questions asked is normally not part of the show. I've never understood why and have emailed the team asking why t hey can't use a directional mic to catch the questions. Naturally no answer and same ol' same ol' is the thin gruel we get.

IrishNW

Reaction score
Did john let one slip talking about moving around in rounds 4 and 5?

OP
OP
Seahawkfan80

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
IrishNW":38xwsvh5 said:
Did john let one slip talking about moving around in rounds 4 and 5?

Although he did not say it, I would suggest that we have a first round pick that will be traded or a couple of 3rd rounders that can be used to fill in the 4th and 5th rounds.

It was intriguing to me that he mentioned that they are paying attention all the time to what other teams are doing. They monitor what is happening to see what the other teams are doing keeping their nose to sniff what players are going. We have our draft board and the other teams have theirs...must keep up with what is suspected of other teams to see if what you have left on your board is available.

Except for San Fransisco.....we dont care what SF does. :stirthepot:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Two big takeaways I have from Schneider's presser;

1. He doesn't like that we don't have a 4th or 5th round pick, so IMO he's tipping his hand that we're going to trade down at least once to pick up more picks, maybe twice with how deep this draft is defensively.

2. He's ACUTELY aware of he and Pete's recent hit rate failures of the past 2-3 drafts compared to their first 3. Obviously John's not going to expand on that and tip their hand as to the nuts and bolts of their scouting department, and how they evaluate players.............but it made me feel good that Pete and John are tirelessly fine tuning that part of the process to try and get back to drafting future all pro's, and not missing on 50-75% of our picks like it's been the past 2-3 years.

Boycie

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":36n6dau8 said:

1. He doesn't like that we don't have a 4th or 5th round pick, so IMO he's tipping his hand that we're going to trade down at least once to pick up more picks, maybe twice with how deep this draft is defensively.

2. He's ACUTELY aware of he and Pete's recent hit rate failures of the past 2-3 drafts compared to their first 3. Obviously John's not going to expand on that and tip their hand as to the nuts and bolts of their scouting department, and how they evaluate players.............but it made me feel good that Pete and John are tirelessly fine tuning that part of the process to try and get back to drafting future all pro's, and not missing on 50-75% of our picks like it's been the past 2-3 years.

I didn't see the presser, but didn't JS say a couple of weeks ago that he wasn't impressed with the middle to later rounds of this class?

KPA

Reaction score
I'm thinking our target is the OT from Wisconsin. Rymachek (sp?). May have to move up to 15-20 to get him though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Ace_Rimmer":22lek65u said:
Sgt. Largent":22lek65u said:

I didn't see the presser, but didn't JS say a couple of weeks ago that he wasn't impressed with the middle to later rounds of this class?

Depends on the position group.

This class is deep for TE's, CB's and safeties.............which is three positions we need. Which means there could still be some great players available in the later rounds.

So yeah, if we've gotten our position needs filled by the 4th round, not a big priority to trade up or down to get more. But if not? Then expect us to try and get back into those later rounds if a guy we like is still available.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3rujwsgr said:

I don't understand why I keep hearing this. I do not believe that myself.

What would you rather have?

3 3rd round picks....or..... a 3rd a 4th and a 5th?

kidhawk

Reaction score
Seymour":onw3srok said:

If you trade 1 third back to the 4th to pick up a 5th you'd have two 3rds, a fourth and a fifth.

Realistically, having 3 picks so close together, I can see them using one of the spots to move back some, as it's likely that there are enough guys in that area of our draft board, to move down and still take one we like.

Numerically it sounds bad to give up a 3rd for a 4th and 5th, but if you are getting a similarly talented player in the 4th for your late round 3rd and also getting a player in the 5th that you wouldn't otherwise have gotten, then it's a winning situation.

A lot will depend on who's available at the time, but I can definitely see us moving one of those picks.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
London12":2k35g76p said:

I've seen AgentDib running around in there. Anyone else want to confess?

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2cr3ysmz said:
London12":2cr3ysmz said:

I've seen AgentDib running around in there. Anyone else want to confess?

I lurk r/seahawks daily. Not as much as here, but check it out regularly.

Seymour

Reaction score
kidhawk":1bpsqd2e said:
Seymour":1bpsqd2e said:

If you trade 1 third back to the 4th to pick up a 5th you'd have two 3rds, a fourth and a fifth.

Realistically, having 3 picks so close together, I can see them using one of the spots to move back some, as it's likely that there are enough guys in that area of our draft board, to move down and still take one we like.

Numerically it sounds bad to give up a 3rd for a 4th and 5th, but if you are getting a similarly talented player in the 4th for your late round 3rd and also getting a player in the 5th that you wouldn't otherwise have gotten, then it's a winning situation.

A lot will depend on who's available at the time, but I can definitely see us moving one of those picks.

I get all that, I just dont see being unhappy with 3 thirds, and no 4th and 5th. Yes we could trade back alright, but landing theoretically lessor players that don't help or make a good roster doesn't accomplish much either. Point is, that could easily happen as well.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Seymour":25lqdlb1 said:
I get all that, I just dont see being unhappy with 3 thirds, and no 4th and 5th. Yes we could trade back alright, but landing theoretically lessor players that don't help or make a good roster doesn't accomplish much either. Point is, that could easily happen as well.

Here's a general take.

Every draft is fluid. You get guys slipping throughout the draft. When you have a huge hole in the draft order, you can't take advantage of that.

In addition, when setting up a draft board to address multiple options, very frequently you have to evaluate where the tiers of a particular position group falls. In most drafts, you have a few position groups where a 5th round player is about equal to an end of the third round talent.

Having holes in the order prevents teams from capitalizing on market efficiencies (both guys that slip who shouldn't be there or relative positional strength in the draft).

Obviously having 3 third round picks is empirically better. But depending on what you are looking for, that difference may be significantly negligible.

There is a limit to what prospects you can acquire based on pick value. Especially since a position of need we do have (OL) is really very poor outside of interior OL prospects. Of which this roster is pretty flush with at the moment. If the positional value by the 90s still has good/great CB talent, but we've already taken one in day one or two -- it makes it difficult to double/triple down at that position group. Particularly since you only have a limited number of roster spots that can be turned over.

Bottom line is, it reduces a teams' flexibility to respond as the draft unfolds. Besides taking guys that fall, you also have a much harder time trying to move up to get a guy who has fallen but you don't think will make it all the way to you. We've done that recently with Lockett, Reed and Jefferson.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":234do0vt said:
Sgt. Largent":234do0vt said:

I don't understand why I keep hearing this. I do not believe that myself.

Because three 3rd round picks are only a good thing if there are three 3rd round or higher graded players you want still on the board.

Why would you use your 2 of your 3 third round picks on players that are graded lower than that round?

See where I'm going here. Schneider knows there's value in the later rounds, so not having those picks makes him nervous. Which is why I think we trade one or maybe two of those 3rd rounders to move up if we need..........or to pick up more later round picks if the value isn't there.