Russell Wilson 2016 Analysis from Pre-Snap Reads

adeltaY

Reaction score
Cian Fahey is releasing his 2016 quarterback catalogue soon, and, luckily for us Hawk fans, the sample chapter is on our own Russell Wilson.

Interesting Points:

- "Much of Wilson's 2016 tape is worthless" because of the injuries sustained. Similar to Andrew Luck in 2015.
- Cian attributes the deterioration of Wilson's passing to tentativeness in his footwork that is usually absent: "Losing confidence in his feet turned Wilson into an inconsistent passer."
- Russ had much greater difficulty throwing the football and doing so accurately due to injuries compromising his footwork
- Cian acknowledges "The Seahawks offensive line is a travesty. It regularly ruined plays for the Seahawks..."
- "even though Darrell Bevell's scheme does an excellent job of emphasizing other areas to take pressure off of the individual players." Oooh that should ruffle some feathers hehe.
- Seahawks have the "best group of deep threat receivers in the game."
- "The Seattle offense hinges on his [Wilson's] ability to be consistently effective in a difficult role."
- "Where some quarterbacks can elevate the passing game by being exceptional within the design of plays, Wilson is able to elevate the passing game outside the design of plays while also elevating the running game inside the design of plays."

So, according to Fahey, who also writes for Football Outsiders, it looks like the injuries really threw Wilson off course for an entire season. I like the comparison to Luck. Both guys came into the league at the same time and are still relatively young. Both have to carry their offenses in ways that aren't always obvious, so lingering injuries have a huge effect on how effective they can be. Fahey ends the piece by predicting that if the receivers and Wilson return healthy, the Seahawks "are competent pass protection away from being one of the best offenses in the league again in 2017." Pass protection ... competent ... dammit.

http://presnapreads.com/2017/04/06/pre- ... e-chapter/

Ozzy

Reaction score
Sadly the Seahawks don't seem all that interested in pass protection. Offensive line play is probably the one area I know the least about at the pro level, or any level for that matter but if this year is another year of abysmal pass protection then big changes need to be made. Whether its Cable or whoever.

SpokaneHawks

Reaction score
We all have known Wilson was hurt for most of the season. The only thing that matters is if he can get back to form this season. To me, this is "prove it" time!
In my mind, the pass protection was adequate, if Wilson can scramble. When hobbled though, its abysmal!

StoneCold

Reaction score
SpokaneHawks":1f02c0vx said:
We all have known Wilson was hurt for most of the season. The only thing that matters is if he can get back to form this season. To me, this is "prove it" time!
In my mind, the pass protection was adequate, if Wilson can scramble. When hobbled though, its abysmal!

I would say adequate is a stretch, though unlike others, I don't think you can entirely blame the line for his injuries. The donkeykong sue is partially on the line without doubt, but the knee was all Russell. Can't blame him for trying to stretch that play with a stiff arm, it's part of his competitive spirit, but he could have run out of bounds or thrown it away and lived to fight another day.

I will be very surprised if we don't see substantial improvement in Oline play, and if Russell stays healthy, we pick up a few D pieces in the draft we'll be one of the stronger teams next year.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
I hear this guy on the Lebatard Show quite a bit. Very knowledgeable dude.

mrt144

Reaction score
Nice to get some validation from someone else that that lower body was making stuff funky for him.

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
SpokaneHawks":13sav1sy said:

If you think Wilson has anything left to prove to this fanbase, you are absolutely bananas. He was hurt, the line was bad, take some time and let that sink in, really think about it. Have you ever had a serious injury? I would seriously doubt it, if so you might have a little empathy.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
austinslater25":33ms8shy said:
Sadly the Seahawks don't seem all that interested in pass protection. Offensive line play is probably the one area I know the least about at the pro level, or any level for that matter but if this year is another year of abysmal pass protection then big changes need to be made. Whether its Cable or whoever.
OR, a Marshawn Lynch 2.0 type RB to take SOME of the heat off of Russell Wilson.
A punishing RB like Mixon would likely go a long ways in covering for a SOME of the O-Line flaws.
I know that a lot of folks are wary of the thought of adding yet another RB to the Hawks glutted stable, but NONE of what we have in the mix right now, have shown that they can get & stay healthy.
It's the ONE BIG missing piece of Pete's Running Game that he covets so much.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
StoneCold":3oqsx285 said:
SpokaneHawks":3oqsx285 said:

I would say adequate is a stretch, though unlike others, I don't think you can entirely blame the line for his injuries. The donkeykong sue is partially on the line without doubt, but the knee was all Russell. Can't blame him for trying to stretch that play with a stiff arm, it's part of his competitive spirit, but he could have run out of bounds or thrown it away and lived to fight another day.

I will be very surprised if we don't see substantial improvement in Oline play, and if Russell stays healthy, we pick up a few D pieces in the draft we'll be one of the stronger teams next year.
Without Marshawn Lynch?, all Mad-dog-degummned Sue had to focus on is > ONE < Russell Wilson, THAT injury was instrumental in causing immobility, AND the other two owies to RW was because he was slowed up.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
He SHOULDN'T have anything to prove to this fanbase. Unfortunately, plenty of people refuse to accept Russ and how damn good he is.

sdog1981

Reaction score
The David Carr-ifacation of Russ continues. Tom Cable MUST be fired, 12 draft picks wasted by this bozo along with countless free agents. Now he is going to have to move Ifedi back to tackle where he should have been playing last season. Look at the draft history of this team with Cable involved 80% of the time he picks linemen the very next linemen drafted is significantly better.

Jville

Reaction score
Yea ....... this tread is doomed.

It has now been sidetracked into a hate thread.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Jville":1zr6h3nv said:

How so? My comments are directly related to the top comments of the OP.

" Cian attributes the deterioration of Wilson's passing to tentativeness in his footwork that is usually absent: "Losing confidence in his feet turned Wilson into an inconsistent passer."
Russ had much greater difficulty throwing the football and doing so accurately due to injuries compromising his footwork
Cian acknowledges "The Seahawks offensive line is a travesty. It regularly ruined plays for the Seahawks..."

Tom Cable has been the offensive line coach of the Seattle Seahawks since 2010. Here is the link to the coaching staff.

http://www.seahawks.com/team/coaches

Here is a link to the Seahawks draft history.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldr ... &type=team

Here is a link further explaining what an offensive line coach is.

http://www.dummies.com/sports/football/ ... -football/

scutterhawk

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":d25uwlya said:
He SHOULDN'T have anything to prove to this fanbase. Unfortunately, plenty of people refuse to accept Russ and how damn good he is.
I completely agree Soulfish, to me he is one of the most remarkable Quarterbacks in the League, and the best to ever suit up in a Seahawks uniform, but I do feel like he's being asked to do more BY HIMSELF than is reasonably expected of him.
He had side-kick Marshawn Lynch to help him spread the Offensive attack early on, but he retires, only to un-retire for his chance to play for his hometown Raiders.
To be totally fair to Russell Wilson though, the Seahawks need to reestablish the Run Game.
There's a cloud hanging over Thomas Rawls and whether or not, he can stay healthy enough to lead the charge as a Feature Back, for a whole Season of pounding.. Prosise? also under that same cloud.
I think that's why Pete is going to go with another RB in this draft, or at least I hope he will, as it would also help mask some (not all) of the deficiencies of the O-Line woes, IMHO.

Jville

Reaction score
sdog1981":8c5edhkk said:
Jville":8c5edhkk said:

How so? My comments are directly related to the top comments of the OP.

" Cian attributes the deterioration of Wilson's passing to tentativeness in his footwork that is usually absent: "Losing confidence in his feet turned Wilson into an inconsistent passer."
Russ had much greater difficulty throwing the football and doing so accurately due to injuries compromising his footwork
Cian acknowledges "The Seahawks offensive line is a travesty. It regularly ruined plays for the Seahawks..."

Tom Cable has been the offensive line coach of the Seattle Seahawks since 2010. Here is the link to the coaching staff.

http://www.seahawks.com/team/coaches

Here is a link to the Seahawks draft history.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldr ... &type=team

Here is a link further explaining what an offensive line coach is.

http://www.dummies.com/sports/football/ ... -football/

You continue to campaign relentlessly hatred for Tom Cable at every opportunity. That is your chosen political agenda. It has nothing to do with the subject of this thread or any other thread in which you chose to champion hatred.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":oi9ulxa6 said:
Yet he still broke his own passing record.
Right?
LMAO! He actually impressed me big time last year considering all the things he was going through. Tough as nails. Russ is the reason we win games. I knew it when he broke out in 2012.
Wait! He's still too short. :sarcasm_on: