Is it possible Sherm gets traded tonight?

Status
Not open for further replies.

seabowl

Reaction score
I know this is only speculation but if a deal for Sherm were to go down you would think it would be tonight with the first round taking place. The thought has been the Saints would be a team that would want him for the right price. Mixed feelings on this one but we'll all know in short time if anything happens.

Go Hawks

hawknation2017

Reaction score
In an unusually deep year for cornerbacks, it seems nearly impossible. Why give up a first round pick -- or more -- and pay top corner salary when a team can simply draft Sidney Jones, Ahkello Witherspoon, etc. in the 2nd round?

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
They have already said they won't trade him to the NFC. I think the price is too steep. Next year is a good possibility though. Sherm will only have 1 year left on his contract, would probably restructure his deal for a new team then.

Davidess

Reaction score
I could see Sherm being thrown into a deal where its essentially moving up.

Example #1
Seahawks swap 1st rounders with titans (18 overall) for 26 and sherm and possible swap 2nds or 3rds or something along those lines.

I don't see a team giving up a pick but more or less swapping.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Player trades themselves are fairly rare in the NFL. Just don't see it tonight. I think both parties have moved away from the edge

But.... if he's going to be traded this off season it's probably tonight

Atradees

Reaction score
Talk seems too have cooled quite a bit like it's not news. Sherman is a proven player though.
Personally, I think in two years sherman is done. Now is the time to sell high. That is the only reason I would trade him tonight. Look, we got a first alone it changes our entire draft. We could get two or even three coveted players in the draft. Patriots, love em or hate em are really good about not kidding themselves about values.

Bolles and Obiwan
Cam and Peppars

endzorn

Reaction score
If there was even a chance he was getting traded tonight you'd hear more rumors from the Rappaport's of the media.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
nope, zero chance. the whole trade sherm was a joke to begin with.

Hyak

Reaction score
Not likely because no team is willing to pay the premium price that Seattle is asking for in order to deal him. Add in that Sherman and Carroll supposedly had a great meeting last week and perhaps the whole process served to make each party value their situation here.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
The cost is too high, the draft is too deep with cornerbacks, the number of "AFC contenders" that would qualify for Sherman's interest is too narrow, the team knows better than to jettison a generational player at a position of need, and the trade talk from both sides has cooled anyway.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2i2gyhgi said:
Player trades themselves are fairly rare in the NFL.

Agreed, but Kevin Clark had a piece on The Ringer this morning arguing that it's becoming more common (see #5): https://theringer.com/2017-nfl-draft-ne ... 50fbbedfe6

As for Sherman being part of a draft trade, there's so much hoopla over the CB class this year (people believing you can get day 1 starters well into day 3 of the draft) I have to imagine that Sherm's trade value is more suppressed in this draft than it would be in any other in recent memory.

If a team misses out on their guy at CB in the first round there's another 15-20 in the next four rounds to still go for (i.e. in a weak class a team might be more motivated to give up good value for a proven player).

kidhawk

Reaction score
I believe that if he truly demanded a trade or the Seahawks wanted to be rid of him, they'd have made a deal by now. I'm sure there were actual trade discussions, and once word got out, there were likely multiple teams that had an interest, but if we set the price so steep that nobody would take the deal for a guy like Sherman, that in itself says a lot.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
If he were to be traded, today was always the most likely date. We would be trading him for ammo to move up for someone in particular, imo. Like if Solomon Thomas dropped a bit.

Seymour

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":2ae31xsu said:
If he were to be traded, today was always the most likely date. We would be trading him for ammo to move up for someone in particular, imo. Like if Solomon Thomas dropped a bit.

Exactly +1. Today would be the most likely day for a trade if this is going to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.