USC WR Darreus Rogers signs as an UDFA

hawknation2017

Reaction score
[youtube]Fl-uzh-3Ozg[/youtube]

Ball skills are his biggest weapon. Uses well-timed leaps, and strong hands to climb over defenders and win the high-point throws. Plays with excellent body control and balance in mid-air. Snatches passes with good arm extension with soft, reliable hands.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/dar ... id=2558232

Pro Day: 03/22/17
Height: 6005
Weight: 216
40 Yrd Dash: 4.90
20 Yrd Dash: 2.88
10 Yrd Dash: 1.75
Bench Reps: 10
Vertical Jump: 29
Broad Jump: 09'05"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.44
3-Cone Drill: 7.12

Seanhawk

Reaction score
4.90 40? Is that right? I ran faster than that in college and I had the slowest forty time on our basketball team by 2 tenths of a second. Yikes.

OP
OP
hawknation2017

hawknation2017

Reaction score
Seanhawk":25s42qib said:
4.90 40? Is that right?

Yes, 4.9 is correct.

I'm always intrigued by WRs with bad 40s who flat out ball. Rogers might be the most extreme example yet.

RockinHawks

Reaction score
Lead feet...but plays faster than his time suggests. Won't get much separation, if any at the pro level. His strength is his body and catch radius....and great hands. He fights for every ball.

KPA

Reaction score
Ok, slow in a straight line... but can he run and understand a route tree. It's a bit more complicated to evaluate a WR than looking at a 40 time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

RockinHawks

Reaction score
Could be a Hines Ward-ish type player if he can work on his quickness, be precise in his routes, and work on his blocking (I don't know much about him in this area). Has a great body for adding a few pounds, playing some H-back/WR. Seems pretty crafty in his routes, and getting open when plays break down. Is great at getting open in the endzone.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Grahamhawker":26uchxa3 said:
Wonder what Anquan Boldin's 40 time has been lately? It was 4.77 in 2003.

Exactly. Rogers is the quintessential gamer! On paper, for the NFL he's slow, can't jump, lacks speed, quickness, agility and isn't strong either...but all he does is make spectacular catches. Really magnificent hands and I'm not using that term lightly. When he leaps and stretches out his long arms, he's like a graceful gazelle in motion. There's no measureable for that and if he develops on the practice squad there could certainly be a need for his unique talent in our receiving arsenal.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Seanhawk":bq616c9f said:
4.90 40? Is that right? I ran faster than that in college and I had the slowest forty time on our basketball team by 2 tenths of a second. Yikes.
He was obviously taken to play left guard on the Seahawks.

Josea16

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":30pt6x19 said:
Grahamhawker":30pt6x19 said:
Wonder what Anquan Boldin's 40 time has been lately? It was 4.77 in 2003.

Exactly. Rogers is the quintessential gamer! On paper, for the NFL he's slow, can't jump, lacks speed, quickness, agility and isn't strong either...but all he does is make spectacular catches. Really magnificent hands and I'm not using that term lightly. When he leaps and stretches out his long arms, he's like a graceful gazelle in motion. There's no measureable for that and if he develops on the practice squad there could certainly be a need for his unique talent in our receiving arsenal.
Sounds a lot like some scrub they got from the Houston Oilers....I think he was Steve Largent or something?

Tusc2000

Reaction score
Rogers has quick feet and a good burst, and he can catch the ball in a crowd. We have plenty of guys who can run a go route, Rogers adds another dimension, plus he is a ball hawk. I would not fret about the 4.9, he has a knack for getting open 12 yards downfield when you need 10 for a first down.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
Rogers was voted PFF's best blocker in college football for the 2016 season. Not a profound source, but being named best blocker suggests he's able and *willing* to do the non-highlight jobs that we need our receivers to do.

He also has an impressive catch radius, and will fight for the ball. His highlight tape shows 3 interceptions that he stole from DBs by being stronger or having a better grip on the ball.

He's not flashy, but I believe he will impress. Would not be surprised if he makes the 53.

penihawk

Reaction score
If he ran 4.5 he would of been drafted on day 2. He is PHYSICAL and catches everything against some good competition. I think he has a chance to make the P.S. and have an NFL career eventually.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
IIRC Jerry Rice ran in the 4.7's, but that didn't seem to hamper him much. :D

Kennedyin92

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":1gkwl66q said:
Training Camp fodder!! How many WR positions are open? Let's get real!

As long as Jermaine Kearse is still on the roster, any wide receiver we sign has a chance to be more than training camp fodder.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Kennedyin92":1ciuyt8y said:
Bigpumpkin":1ciuyt8y said:
Training Camp fodder!! How many WR positions are open? Let's get real!

As long as Jermaine Kearse is still on the roster, any wide receiver we sign has a chance to be more than training camp fodder.

What? Am I sensing a disparaging remark here? :sarcasm_on:

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
jlwaters1":46w71nji said:
IIRC Jerry Rice ran in the 4.7's, but that didn't seem to hamper him much. :D
Not a great comparison but I know what you are trying to do. This guy is like a better hands version of Mike Williams (also former Trojan and Seahawk).

The knock on Rogers is he isn't a good route runner.

Hopefully, Baldwin can teach him a thing or two!

I know I am a homer but I believe Doug Baldwin is top 5 best route runner in the league.