Mike Lombardi of The Ringer

hieroglyphics

Reaction score
He's not a typical media guy, has worked in an actual NFL front office, worked alongside Belichick for years, has a sharp NFL mind.

Anyway, on the Ringer's NFL podcast, he was praising the Seahawks draft. Said the reason the Seahawks have gotten away from their identity the past few years is getting too cute in the offseason, trading for Graham, drafting receivers, while neglecting the defense.

He praised the Day 2 picks from us, said Seahawks are getting back to their identity, back to what built Seattle into the powerhouse we've been. Also said the Pocic pick was terrific and he's a perfect fit in Seattle.

I'll take that praise over the "insight" from ESPN hacks.

HawkGA

Reaction score
I could not agree more with the second paragraph.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
I still don't get the hate for Graham. The Harvin trade, sure, but Graham is comprising a very similar percentage of the team's catches and yards in Seattle that he did in New Orleans - about 20%. You just don't know it because Seattle passes less.

And what's wrong with drafting receivers? Where would last season have been without Paul Richardson, or 2015 without Tyler Lockett? Massive draft wins. Unless he was talking about our misses like Norwood and Harper and such, but those were lower picks.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
hieroglyphics":1fprwxg4 said:
He's not a typical media guy, has worked in an actual NFL front office, worked alongside Belichick for years, has a sharp NFL mind.

Anyway, on the Ringer's NFL podcast, he was praising the Seahawks draft. Said the reason the Seahawks have gotten away from their identity the past few years is getting too cute in the offseason, trading for Graham, drafting receivers, while neglecting the defense.

He praised the Day 2 picks from us, said Seahawks are getting back to their identity, back to what built Seattle into the powerhouse we've been. Also said the Pocic pick was terrific and he's a perfect fit in Seattle.

Thanks for this.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Much like the end of the 2012 season, the front office saw that they needed more pass rush. they fixed it that offseason. The end of the 2016 season the front office saw that lack of depth needed to get fixed. This draft told me that the team is getting ready for a post Kam and Sherman defense. The Seahawks defense of the 2020's will have Thomas, Clark, and Wagner along with players from these past few drafts.

JGreen79

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":4yrvzkv1 said:
I still don't get the hate for Graham. The Harvin trade, sure, but Graham is comprising a very similar percentage of the team's catches and yards in Seattle that he did in New Orleans - about 20%. You just don't know it because Seattle passes less.

And what's wrong with drafting receivers? Where would last season have been without Paul Richardson, or 2015 without Tyler Lockett? Massive draft wins. Unless he was talking about our misses like Norwood and Harper and such, but those were lower picks.

I think the problem was more along the lines of using higher picks for receivers. The draft capital could have been better spent sticking to the teams identity. The Richardson and Lockett picks are good. However they don't entirely contribute to the identity that was built.

Harvin, Lockett, and Richardson cost a 1st, and two 2nds. While they add a new dimension, move the team away from the run first defensive philosophy. The Graham trade however fits the identity pretty well imo. The philosophy requires a good TE, which is why Miller was here.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
I don't think ANYONE has ANY idea how any teams' drafts from this year will actually play out (read that again if you mistake this post as being critical of the Hawks) but Mike Lombardi was a disaster as a GM and has been as big of a disaster on The Ringer.

As GM (see 2013 and 2014): http://www.pro-football-reference.com/t ... /draft.htm

On The Ringer: https://www.google.ca/amp/deadspin.com/ ... 051550/amp

The guy's a hack.

Without a hint of sarcasm I think the Hawks have as good a chance as anyone to have had the draft of the year, but Lombardi's thoughts on it definitely doesn't sway me in that direction.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Popeyejones":25chunx9 said:
I don't think ANYONE has ANY idea how any teams' drafts from this year will actually play out (read that again if you mistake this post as being critical of the Hawks) but Mike Lombardi was a disaster as a GM and has been as big of a disaster on The Ringer.

As GM (see 2013 and 2014): http://www.pro-football-reference.com/t ... /draft.htm

On The Ringer: https://www.google.ca/amp/deadspin.com/ ... 051550/amp

The guy's a hack.

Without a hint of sarcasm I think the Hawks have as good a chance as anyone to have had the draft of the year, but Lombardi's thoughts on it definitely doesn't sway me in that direction.
The first part of your first sentence is spot on.

HawkGA

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1193pojm said:

I've never really thought this team's problem was a lack of playmakers, but for at least 2 offseasons, that seemed like the team's focus.

mikeak

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2ajooadt said:

The issue to me is spending the draft picks AND the money (especially Graham and Harvin) and not having a system in place to utilize their skill set. If we want to run a fast risk taking high scoring offense then great. However to try to be a run first team that spends the money on receivers with providing either a quick strike system / an o-line for the QB is a bit strange.

This draft will set the tone for creating turnovers again and give the offense a short field. So more opportunities to get 3pts.....

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
The only reason I will take Lombardi's comments with a grain of salt is he's the same guy who was critical of our 2012 draft, including saying the drafting of Russell Wilson was a mistake.

DYLcurry59

Reaction score
hieroglyphics":1p13bo0y said:

NO. Mike Lombardi is a moron. This is the guy that said Brian Hoyer was a future superstar.

http://deadspin.com/the-ringers-mike-lo ... 1794051550

http://deadspin.com/how-to-suck-at-bein ... 1794674167