Rob Rang gives us a B

Hawk Finn

Reaction score
Other than botching Tyson's name, this was a pretty competent, fair, and balanced summary. I'd give the draft a solid B myself.

nash72

Reaction score
The Seahawks did add two offensive linemen, burly blockers Ethan Pocic and Justin Senior from the SEC, but neither possesses the agility and balance most teams require of its tackles, so expecting either rookie to solve Seattle's pass blocking woes is probably unrealistic.

Hmmm

Ruminator

Reaction score
nash72":28pl26zm said:
The Seahawks did add two offensive linemen, burly blockers Ethan Pocic and Justin Senior from the SEC, but neither possesses the agility and balance most teams require of its tackles, so expecting either rookie to solve Seattle's pass blocking woes is probably unrealistic.

Hmmm

Oh, damn. "Expecting either rookie to solve Seattle's pass blocking woes is probably unrealistic." And here I thought Pocic was for sure the second coming of Walter Jones, Max Unger, Steve Hutchinson, and Breno Giacomini all morphed into one and multiplied ten-fold.

OP
OP
MontanaHawk05

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
I'm seeing other scouting reports (plus that one stat of "did not give up a sack or hit in 2016") that are making me disagree with Rang on Pocic. He's got Max Unger upside. That's not a sky-high glowing endorsement - just an indicator that he can do well.

Josea16

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":avrohug8 said:
I'm seeing other scouting reports (plus that one stat of "did not give up a sack or hit in 2016") that are making me disagree with Rang on Pocic. He's got Max Unger upside. That's not a sky-high glowing endorsement - just an indicator that he can do well.
Anything in Unger territory is just skippy with me. We don't need an elite or above average OL line, just league average will work just fine thank you very much. We doing exactly what we need to do to start New England's relevance in the NFL go back to where it should be. I like the thought of making Tom Brady retire like Peyton Manning. That, to all the penny gallery is how a legacy is built and how you become a West Coast legacy team and really hated and relevant like the Raiders. I so want the Seahawks to be at that level because it makes Red Friday seriously fun. Just wear my Lockett or Clark jersey at work and watch the fun begin. It's priceless trust me.:mrgreen:

Seafan

Reaction score
The next time Rang is correct on a prospect will be the first. I trust Pete and John and respect the opinions of McShay and Mayock. I don't care what a blogger thinks. I'd say their opinion is a dime a dozen but it's actually much less.

mikeak

Reaction score
I was watching Sportcenter and Kiper gave a C+ for the Malik pick and right after McShay ranked it as the best of Seahawks draft and how he has this huge upside

So point being you can find an opinion that aligns with what you want and then stick to it....

nash72

Reaction score
Ruminator":21mizkvq said:
nash72":21mizkvq said:

Hmmm

Oh, damn. "Expecting either rookie to solve Seattle's pass blocking woes is probably unrealistic." And here I thought Pocic was for sure the second coming of Walter Jones, Max Unger, Steve Hutchinson, and Breno Giacomini all morphed into one and multiplied ten-fold.

Problem is, everybodys expecting Pocic to be our starting right tackle ( but neither possesses the agility and balance most teams require of its tackles). I think it was a horrible and wasted pick and I doubt he cracks our starting lineup.

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
Seafan":21rtu8ct said:
The next time Rang is correct on a prospect will be the first. I trust Pete and John and respect the opinions of McShay and Mayock. I don't care what a blogger thinks. I'd say their opinion is a dime a dozen but it's actually much less.

Yeah

penihawk

Reaction score
nash72":3ll8rpna said:
Ruminator":3ll8rpna said:
nash72":3ll8rpna said:

Hmmm

Problem is, everybodys expecting Pocic to be our starting right tackle ( but neither possesses the agility and balance most teams require of its tackles). I think it was a horrible and wasted pick and I doubt he cracks our starting lineup.

Just wondering who you wanted instead? There are no guarantees with modern day college linemen, not even the ones ranked in the top 10 of a given draft. I think wait and see is the correct stance for every player drafted.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
nash72":1zxwuz8c said:

Who is this "everybody" you are talking about? Beware the fallacy of generalizing.

If he ends up on the roster, I think we'll all be pleased.

nash72

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":1727wlpx said:
nash72":1727wlpx said:

Who is this "everybody" you are talking about? Beware the fallacy of generalizing.

If he ends up on the roster, I think we'll all be pleased.

Sorry about the technicality. I meant most people on this board and most analysts i've read. Where do you see him playing.

Sad when we're not even sure or confident he'll make the roster.

Hey, I hope i'm surprised by the kid, but so far, he looks to be the worst pick in the draft to me.

nash72

Reaction score
penihawk":924oep6d said:
nash72":924oep6d said:
Ruminator":924oep6d said:

Just wondering who you wanted instead? There are no guarantees with modern day college linemen, not even the ones ranked in the top 10 of a given draft. I think wait and see is the correct stance for every player drafted.

We had a chance at Ramcyzk, Robinson, or Lamp (preferred the other two over Lamp because he's a natural guard). I would have much rather taken a chance on a left tackle (our greatest weakness) than drafting a center that will be moved to either right guard or right tackle. Even if those guys didnt pan out, we at least took a chance on protecting Wilson's blindside. Now we're just relegated to the garbage that is Jokel and Fant. Horrible.

mikeak

Reaction score
penihawk":2l66lq80 said:

The next two to go on the O-line was Dawkins and Moton. Dawkins is thought of as a starter day 1 as I understand it so that would be one.

Trading up to take two close picks in the 2nd instead using the draft capital we gained would have been interesting and get Lamp. But yes it would have cost quite a pretty penny

bighawk

Reaction score
This is why i evaluate guys myself then i compare what i see to what they say so when grades are giving out if it doesnt match or come close to mine then i disregard it. Everyone has an opinion but i factor in upside aswell. My only regret is not getting Obi but Malik is the only guy i wanted for sure because of his age and All pro upside. People compare him to Campbell but i see more of a J.J. Watt because he is more athletic than Campbell. He can be a DOMINATE pass rusher and run stopper.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Rob Rang I respect FAR more than the usual blowhards (aka Kiper).

LargentFan

Reaction score
For whatever reason, when I read Rob Rang, I thought of this guy...
file_169023_0_Riggle.jpg

Rob Riggle

I was wondering why we gave two shits what he thought.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
nash72":gmkhwbsw said:
Sorry about the technicality. I meant most people on this board and most analysts i've read. Where do you see him playing.

Hey, I hope i'm surprised by the kid, but so far, he looks to be the worst pick in the draft to me.

I don't know where he will play, as I'm not the one who drafted him. But since he's played across the entire line at the college level, and had some success there (I know you don't think much of it as success--your opinion), I expect somewhere other than C since Britt is doing so well there. He may fill in if Britt is injured, but at this point I'm going to wait and see how he works with the line as a position group; it isn't entirely a bunch of individuals, but a team working together. You ought at least to be glad Pocic has O-line background as he'll adapt much more quickly than the conversion projects.

I assume you mean the worst pick in the Hawks draft. I can't imagine you truly know enough about every other team's needs and picks at every position to make that kind of assertion. And unless you're a prophet, you have no way of knowing who will work out.

The biggest problem with the philosophy of taking one of the questionably better lineman is that we then lose out on quite a few other positions that we earned by moving down a few spots and filling a definite area of need on D-line. Sorry, the O-line just isn't the priority for some as you'd like it to be.

Sorry you have to live with such disappointment, but also seems to be your way: build up expectations, then find that others don't meet them and complain with hyperbole. And... Repeat.

nash72

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":77chmmqh said:
nash72":77chmmqh said:

Sorry, the O-line just isn't the priority for some as you'd like it to be.

It absolutely is a priority. We cant run the ball and our QB is going to get killed due to it. Shame the FO has done such a piss poor job in regards to fixing it.

By the way, do you need some help with your avatar? I'd be glad to lend a helping hand.