Something else to digest on this draft

Josea16

Reaction score
Pretty interesting, it's obvious the Seahawks must be factoring this tool into their scouting methodology.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
Most of our picks are top 10. I can't wait to see what Carson does.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Interesting.

Thompson, Tyson, Moore, and Roos didn't break the roof by their standards, but most of our picks did. Very interesting.

sdog1981

Reaction score
this is some of the awesome football nerd stuff that I love. Thanks for the post.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Both our DT's were tops in this rating system.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Josea16

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":1faqk6x1 said:
Some cool reading. Something I found interesting was King a couple of spots above Griffin. A lot of folks wanted King.
Wonder if the timing/value just wasn't there to snag him.
I think they rate players in groups and still had a player in said group. So no reason to spend picks they needed to move up two spots to get a CB/S they rated similar. King was on their board but like a few other times we had players we rated at the same level available without burning our draft like Chicago or Kansas City.

Basically you know whenever the Seahawks trade down another team drafted a player they targeted in said grouping. So they trade down to their next "ledge" and get more picks in the process.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Great find, beats the hell out of the old "Throw Darts" methodology :lol:

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":3oa7e3s7 said:
Some cool reading. Something I found interesting was King a couple of spots above Griffin. A lot of folks wanted King.
I have a hunch that when we did the San Francisco trade and moved back from 31 to 34, with only Green Bay in front of us, we would have pulled the trigger on King had the Packers gone a different direction. I'm sure that's what the thought process was at the time of the 49ers trade. So when the Packers wound up taking King, it was a no-brainer to accept the Jacksonville trade and move one spot back while picking up the extra sixth.

That's just my hunch. I also believe that McDowell was slotted just slightly below King on the Hawks' big board, so it made it a negligible gamble to accept the San Francisco trade, while still benefiting from the extra picks and settling on McDowell.

Schadie001

Reaction score
I would be willing to bet the only player that JS/PC were really pissed that got away was Obi Melifonwu to the raiders a few picks ahead of us in the 2nd. The guy is a freak and would have been a young Branden Browner type force opposite Sherm. I had seen reports that they really liked him. Probably, just like Wilson a few years ago, we were just hoping he was still available. But like we did to Philly with Wilson, the Raiders snatched him. I'd love to hear an post draft interview to see if I'm right.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Thanks Endzorn for sharing this information. It's very interesting. It's good to see that most of the Seahawk picks have high SLA numbers. Hopefully that will translate well to their NFL careers.

Tusc2000

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":1bly6agq said:
Seahawk Sailor":1bly6agq said:

I have a hunch that when we did the San Francisco trade and moved back from 31 to 34, with only Green Bay in front of us, we would have pulled the trigger on King had the Packers gone a different direction. I'm sure that's what the thought process was at the time of the 49ers trade. So when the Packers wound up taking King, it was a no-brainer to accept the Jacksonville trade and move one spot back while picking up the extra sixth.

That's just my hunch. I also believe that McDowell was slotted just slightly below King on the Hawks' big board, so it made it a negligible gamble to accept the San Francisco trade, while still benefiting from the extra picks and settling on McDowell.

I think you're right, and I think it made sense to trade down from 26 to 31 to get an extra 3rd and 7th round pick. But with King still on the board, trading down again for just a 4th round pick hurt us. Hindsight is 20-20, sure, but I would have been much happier if we had just grabbed King right away.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Would be interesting to compare this ranking criteria to past drafts to see where our picks land on the list each year. Would give good insight into how the FO makes its rankings up.

irocdave

Reaction score
HawkFan72":1ti5v1rw said:
Would be interesting to compare this ranking criteria to past drafts to see where our picks land on the list each year. Would give good insight into how the FO makes its rankings up.

I thought the same thing as I read through that list. Physical freak that SPARQ doesn't account for doesn't mean squat if this prediction algorithm doesn't show real quantitative results. Of course results are influenced by coaching as well. Hence the well deserved hand wringing about taking O lineman from the scratched at dented isle just because the are cheap and overall feeling this draft was about quantity over quality. Lots of quality got passed up for quantity this year, and it will be very easy to determine how well this approach worked in a couple of years.

TransGenderHawkFan

Reaction score
Schadie001":jx5dgiik said:
I would be willing to bet the only player that JS/PC were really pissed that got away was Obi Melifonwu to the raiders a few picks ahead of us in the 2nd. The guy is a freak and would have been a young Branden Browner type force opposite Sherm. I had seen reports that they really liked him. Probably, just like Wilson a few years ago, we were just hoping he was still available. But like we did to Philly with Wilson, the Raiders snatched him. I'd love to hear an post draft interview to see if I'm right.

You're not.

TransGenderHawkFan

Reaction score
Tusc2000":wpmqemvf said:
Siouxhawk":wpmqemvf said:
Seahawk Sailor":wpmqemvf said:

I think you're right, and I think it made sense to trade down from 26 to 31 to get an extra 3rd and 7th round pick. But with King still on the board, trading down again for just a 4th round pick hurt us. Hindsight is 20-20, sure, but I would have been much happier if we had just grabbed King right away.

They're not.