Preach it Danny O'Neill!

ivotuk

Reaction score
O’Neil: Seahawks’ selection of Ethan Pocic is another sign they don’t value continuity along their O-line

I'm so sick of Cable switching players and positions! Leave them be Damnit! Let them play the same position! How stupid can one man be?

Pete! Love yuh man, but this competition shit doesn't work that well on offensive lines!

Pete makes mistakes on the Oline that fans see and rail about, then next year all we get is "sorry, we madea mistake" Then they do it again! Enough!

Protect our Once in a lifetime QB! Rant over. Good read.

http://sports.mynorthwest.com/274974/on ... ir-o-line/

flmmkrz

Reaction score
I don't know that is a competition thing as it is a switching due to necessity thing. I don't think in Petes ideal world he'd be switching guys in and out...he probably doesn't want to have to use Ifedi at RT but he's their best option at the moment so you do it, what choice do they have, last years status quo was not the answer. You had to move Britt around because he was a mess everywhere he was until center. When you're underwhelming you've got to try new players, and you got to try other players in positions they may succeed. Til they find something that is workable they'll tinker, once they get to passable they can let it gel. They just haven't narrowed it down to 5 that work yet so versatility is an asset in that environment.

Atradees

Reaction score
At the end of the day: the model is broken. It won't work. From one year to the next you can tweak the dl with obvious talent and hope to improve there. It's just become clear to me. With the Oline it will never work. Something will eventually give.

Seafan

Reaction score
It will never work. Pete's program is a disgrace. What are they doing? This team has sucked for so many years. It's time for a big change.

If I had a nickle for every one of these posts/threads.

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
flmmkrz":266azs98 said:
I don't know that is a competition thing as it is a switching due to necessity thing. I don't think in Petes ideal world he'd be switching guys in and out...he probably doesn't want to have to use Ifedi at RT but he's their best option at the moment so you do it, what choice do they have, last years status quo was not the answer. You had to move Britt around because he was a mess everywhere he was until center. When you're underwhelming you've got to try new players, and you got to try other players in positions they may succeed. Til they find something that is workable they'll tinker, once they get to passable they can let it gel. They just haven't narrowed it down to 5 that work yet so versatility is an asset in that environment.

You could very well be right. But I'm glad one of the sports reporters brought up this thought. It just seems so bizarre to me that they keep changing people around at the last moment when continuity is supposed to be a big thing in the offensive line. And we have had zero continuity.

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
Seafan":13v0mgpb said:
It will never work. Pete's program is a disgrace. What are they doing? This team has sucked for so many years. It's time for a big change.

If I had a nickle for every one of these posts that completely miss the point of the thread in a failed attempt to pass judgement on the OP, all while trying to look like the superior poster.

And your hyperbole comes off as contrived, while confirming that you missed the point entirely.

Just so that you understand, this thread is about a story written by Danny O'Neill. I didn't write it, he did.

I'm agreeing with his premise. Maybe you should read and understand a post before passing judgement. People who judge a thread they neither read nor understood usually end up looking foolish.

TwilightError

Reaction score
Dannys point was pretty much my thoughts exactly as the pick came in. Center was the only position that worked quite well in the oline last season. An they have to pick just that.. Or they once again convert the player to something else...

Still, nothing against reinforcing the oline and I hope Pocic kills it, no matter what position.

Seafan

Reaction score
ivotuk":1z58d4n0 said:
Seafan":1z58d4n0 said:

If I had a nickle for every one of these posts that completely miss the point of the thread in a failed attempt to pass judgement on the OP, all while trying to look like the superior poster.

And your hyperbole comes off as contrived, while confirming that you missed the point entirely.

Just so that you understand, this thread is about a story written by Danny O'Neill. I didn't write it, he did.

I'm agreeing with his premise. Maybe you should read and understand a post before passing judgement. People who judge a thread they neither read nor understood usually end up looking foolish.

I wasn't judging the OP. I was commenting on the post directly above mine but I guess that's ok for old farts like us to miss the point now and then. :les:

flmmkrz

Reaction score
ivotuk":3v6kfpux said:
flmmkrz":3v6kfpux said:

You could very well be right. But I'm glad one of the sports reporters brought up this thought. It just seems so bizarre to me that they keep changing people around at the last moment when continuity is supposed to be a big thing in the offensive line. And we have had zero continuity.

I honestly don't know what is worse, constantly changing or sticking to something not working in the hopes that it'll start working. Until you can field 5 legit starting caliber lineman it's not worth giving them continuity imo. You just throw players at the spots that don't work and hope somebody takes the spot and runs with it like Britt did last year. When you've your 5 you let them grow together.

nash72

Reaction score
They covet versatility over skill because they are truly clueless right now with the Oline. Is it going to be Jokel or Fant starting at the left tackle (cringe), Ifedi at guard or tackle, will Pocic (a legit Center in all honesty) crack the line up and if so will he play guard or tackle? They dont know and its all pretty sad. Plug and play until the natural disaster becomes a bad storm.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
How many threads are you going to post the same thing in Nash?

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Take a guy like Glowinski. He didn't have a dazzling season a year ago, but he didn't stand out in a negative manner, either, like what was happening at the tackle spots. Give him another year, with firmer roots at LG, and I think we'll be solid there.

So that part of Danny's column I get. I don't think it applies as much to Pocic, though. His versatility is his trademark, so find a spot for him, but let him take some practice reps at center to keep him sharp. Likely means Hunt is off the roster, but he really had a long ways to go as indicated by that rough game he started.

Unless Fant makes huge strides, I see Joeckel at LT. Bringing in Senior and Roos, guys who actually played tackle in college for more than one season, should give the staff a good comparison evaluation to gauge Fant's progress after a year and two offseasons.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
That line of thinking keeps Britt at RT until he's cut. Keeps Sweezy on the DL. It would have kept us from ever seeing seeing Unger at C. It would have kept Sherman at WR.

It's fine to try guys out at different positions to see where they can truly excel. This whole "draft a guard and keep him at guard no matter what!" Is simply foolish.

nash72

Reaction score
Uncle Si":rpe9hr80 said:

Am I the only one that said it?

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
There's a fine line. Valuing continuity is pointless if a certain lineman stinks. Was O'Neill making the same gripe about bringing in Joeckel and Oday?

HawkGA

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":31vod33o said:
There's a fine line. Valuing continuity is pointless if a certain lineman stinks. Was O'Neill making the same gripe about bringing in Joeckel and Oday?

I think the issue is not just about continuity of players but continuity of positions.

sutz

Reaction score
I more or less agree with O'Neill. I do know that we pretty much completely overhauled the O-line twice in the past two years. That wasn't working. Like the linked article stated, it took them 6-10 games to start looking like an average pro line. In '16 it led to Russ's injuries and difficulty in performing for many games. Hopefully they don't repeat that.

I have no problem with drafting O-line every year. In fact, I think it's a good idea. What I don't like is the constant "well lets move this guy over to fit this guy in, but then we have to move this other guy so he gan go there" merry-go-round. It makes the coaching staff look disorganized and incompetent, and I don't think they are necessarily either.

At the end of the '16 season, the O-line was starting to look at least average or only slightly below. Draft position doesn't mean much to me, especially for a player in his 4th or 5th year. Let's see how Dallas goes in the next couple of years. Everybody was lauding their O-line with its 4 1st rd picks, or whatever it was. Will they be able to afford that with their new superstar QB and RB? Time will tell. I suspect their OL will suffer in the near future.

Boycie

Reaction score
nash72":2qlfn3ei said:
Uncle Si":2qlfn3ei said:

If the front office used your logic, they would have reached and grabbed a guard, or tackle while passing up a player in a different position that is far superior.

This year was defense rich, and O-line poor, and you wanted them to pass up the picks they made to grab a lineman?

That is the type of strategy that will sink a team in the long run.

Its not like they haven't invested draft capital in the O-line in the first round before (3 in the first round since 2010).

I think having another year under their belt will make a difference on the o-line, and keep in mind that they did bring in some other experienced guys in FA who I think will help shore up the line.

nash72

Reaction score
Ace_Rimmer":v64mbtjq said:
nash72":v64mbtjq said:
Uncle Si":v64mbtjq said:

If the front office used your logic, they would have reached and grabbed a guard, or tackle while passing up a player in a different position that is far superior.

I wouldnt have traded down to accumulate a bunch of reach picks and used our first or second pick for our biggest need,,,,,,left tackle. I'd love to see them use the quality over quantity approach once in this FO's tenure. The biggest thing I would have changed is taking Bocic where they did and spent that pick on superior DB talent which was available at the time. Bocic might not even play this season. That was a waste in my book.