Pauline: FO graded 7 of their picks as 1st or 2nd-rounders

AgentDib

Reaction score
Almost certainly Malik McDowell, Nazair Jones, Amara Darboh, Shaquil Griffin, Delano Hill, Ethan Pocic and Tedric Thompson. My money is on all seven of those guys making the 53 man this year.

sutz

Reaction score
Cue the internet scouts and armchair GMs in 3...2...1...

:snack:

HawkFan72

Reaction score
If those guys really graded that high, the Seahawks certainly grade their guys differently than most.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
HawkFan72":12n0p52a said:
If those guys really graded that high, the Seahawks certainly grade their guys differently than most.

That's true ... but at the same time, do you recall what Mel Kiper said after Day 1 of the draft? Yeah, yeah, I know about Kiper -- and I agree he's not exactly my favorite guy either -- still hear me out on this. Kiper said (heading into Round 2) that he had a lot of the guys he projected to go in that 2nd Round and 3rd Round range graded HIGHER than many of those that went on Day 1. He saw more upside in a lot of those guys. And frankly, I agreed with him ... and I'd say that obviously the Seahawks concurred with that assessment as well.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
HawkFan72":3obkhada said:
Yep, they do it the right way.
Remember a few Years back...When all the head scratching and crap grades were given to Schneider & the Seahawks for having taken that "runt" Quarterback...Russell Wilson... in the THIRD round? LOL, well, where are all those "Can't Miss" Draft wizards now?
I will admit that SOME of those doubters have backed away from calling Schneider & Co. lousy talent evaluators, we are still stuck with some in house fools that are still refusing to admit that they are not as savvy as they perceive themselves to be, and continue talking out their butts..to those I say DON'T back away from the ledge....JUMP! :lol: :lol: :lol:

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
Draft day rankings of Seahawks top picks:
----(cbssports.com) ---vs:--- (dafttek.com)--- vs:---(draftwired2.com), ---- * =outliers.
Seahawks pick: #35----DT-Malik McDowell, ---(24)---(21)---(20)
Seahawks pick: #58----OL-Ethan Pocic, ---(67)---(79)---(77)
Seahawks pick: #90----CB-Shaquill Griffin, ---(121)---(85*)---(136)
Seahawks pick: #95----FS-Delano Hill, --(119*)---(177)---(189)
Seahawks pick: #102---DT-Nazir Jones,--- (92)---(114)---(111)
Seahawks pick: #106---WR-Amara Darboh, ---(90)---(82)---(156*)
Seahawks pick: #111---SS-Tedrick Thompson, ---(207*)--- (133)---(128)

jdemps

Reaction score
SF bay area, shaping young minds with a tinge of H
I HATE the adage of "X player is an X round pick". What does that mean? A player that is a second round pick literally means that every team had one person they thought was more talented or more needed for their team to be better. How do you compare a "78 grade" lineman and a "78 grade" corner and tell which is better on 2 arbitrary scales than are specific to team/scheme/etc? What about scarcity? This draft was deep for corner and thin on linemen. If you took 'Quille Griffin and put him in the 2016 draft, he might have been a first round pick. So is he a first round pick or a 3rd round pick?

It's beyond arbitrary.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
To be fair the FO had 1st and 2nd round grades on 700 players....

Jville

Reaction score
Just a little reminder or up date. Schneider is rather forthcoming, when asked, in providing some insight into how they grade. How they grade is every bit as important as any resulting grade. And they grade to the individual and his playing history. Sometimes the grade reflects projections and sometimes in reflects actual games. Sometimes those actuals reflect the most recently completed season. And, sometimes the grades reflect the previous season because of injury or conditioning.

A 2017 example is offensive tackle Justin Senior. Schneider recognized that Justin got too heavy in his senior year. So ..... much of his grade was made with preference for his Junior tape. There are many causes for differing draft boards thru out the league. Each draft board is unique because each organization is unique.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I think some of the disparity with the Seahawks and pundits is that the Seahawks grade how a guy fits their system.

Pundits rate how good a guy is overall, without regard to system or usage.

This is how so many of our late round guys play so well for us.

chris98251

Reaction score
Hawks46":2n47o0yt said:
I think some of the disparity with the Seahawks and pundits is that the Seahawks grade how a guy fits their system.

Pundits rate how good a guy is overall, without regard to system or usage.

This is how so many of our late round guys play so well for us.

Pundits look at College win records post season awards and 40 times.

IrishNW

Reaction score
I haven't been this excited about a draft class since 2012

jlwaters1

Reaction score
This makes sense. If you look at the article that was posted on SEAHAWKS.COM... Frankly Teams grade players based on their own criteria. JS/PC have been clear they rank players in comparison to their own team. That some players getting drafted in rounds 3 were very low on their board (like 5-7 rounders) these are called positive "upsets".

They mentioned in this same article that 7 of their guys had 2nd or better grades on them. This is probably were Pauline got the information. So with this being true, it makes sense why they would pass on Kevin King in the 1st round. There probably was minimal separation from him and Shaq.

I think they were smart they attacked areas of need which also were limited in depth with the DL and OL in round 2 and then they took advantage of the DB/CB depth of this class to get solid players in the 3rd.

lukerguy

Reaction score
Well the good news is that we've never heard this before... but I'd like to know how many 1st and 2nd rounders they felt they got in the last 3 drafts.

Jeremy517

Reaction score
jdemps":10aq3pfv said:
I HATE the adage of "X player is an X round pick". What does that mean?

There are 32 picks in the first round, so the top 32 guys on your board have first-round grades. Thus in this case, "seven of their picks as 1st or 2nd-rounders" means that seven guys were in the top 64 on the Seahawks' draft board.

two dog

Reaction score
Davis Hsu adresses this nicely on his twitter feed.

If you build your draft board in a strictly linear fashion, you may end up with
the best players available at the spot where they were chosen. So, you have
seven (or whatever number) of the best players you could get.

But you may not have helped your team. All teams, to some extent, draft for need.
Those needs will give you the best players available for your team based on their skills
and the system you run.

I kind of made a dog's breakfast of making the same points that I found easy to grasp
based on Hsu's remarks.