Seahawks draft threw me for a loop

DJrmb

Reaction score
Much of what I thought I knew about the Seahawks draft strategy and needs was turned upside down with this last draft...

1. Outside CB was clearly not as big a need as I thought it was. They had multiple chances at guys that fit their profile for outside cornerback but passed on most all of them. We'll see how they use Griffin, he could be the only guy they added to the competition in that area. That's not how Seattle normally attacks a position of need. When Seattle perceives a real area of need they generally throw multiple options into the mix and create competition to see who rises to the top. Adding just 1 guy makes me think that they are confident in someone they have already and just added to the group for depth.

2. Is Seattle adjusting their profile on corners? Before this draft the Seahawks had never drafted a corner with a wingspan smaller than 77 inches. That was the case for outside cornerback and inside nickle cornerback. However this year the two corners they drafted are both under that perceived minimum requirement (Griffin 74 3/4" and Tyson 76 5/8"). Maybe this is because they are looking for a different type of athlete (for a specific scheme?), or maybe this is because they've relaxed their physical requirements in favor of putting more emphasis in play on the field? I don't know for sure but I find it interesting any time a change like this takes place. Have they found something new to stay one step ahead of the league like they did back when they showed the league how to effectively use big long corners? I'm really interested to see how the 4-2-5 gets used and where Pete takes it in the end.

3. Not a single Husky or Coug brought in. Were they not as good of fits for Seattle as I thought many of them were? Has Seattle encountered challenges they don't like about dealing with local in state guys causing them to shy away from bringing them in? In the past it seemed we had kind of a pipeline of UW talent at least, when it came to UDFAs, but no instate talent this year despite some interesting guys that didn't get drafted (Joe Mathis, Darrell Daniels, Jake Eldrenkamp, Gabe Marks).

4. Not a single linebacker. At the beginning of the draft some would have put linebacker as maybe our top need and most definitely seemed to think it to be in the top 3 needs for this team. I'm shocked that we didn't even draft one. Is this because of a scheme shift/change (4-2-5)? Confidence in who we have already? Or was it just as simple as there being no linebackers we liked around where we picked? Even some of the free agents we brought in were a bit of head scratchers to me. Not the typical quick long hybrid type OLB I thought they'd be searching for but more of traditional inside linebackers that don't cover as much ground.

I'm not saying any of this to criticize the front office at all, contrary to the stance some others have taken because Seattle didn't draft "who they wanted" and "how they wanted". I actually see it as interesting and an opportunity to learn. I love how this team never does what everyone thinks they should do. They march to the beat of their own drum and in my opinion that's really interesting because they've built a perennial contender doing it their own way. Instead of criticizing them and assuming I'm smarter than they are when I don't understand a move they make, I like to take the approach of, "Wow, I'm interested to see how this works out". It's like watching Mozart compose a masterpiece, seeing how things all come together in the end and all the changes and alterations during the process. Fun times! I'm very much looking forward to this coming season and another run in the playoffs.

Go Hawks!!!

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Pete even said Shaq Griffin fits our outside CB style perfectly, so not sure why you think we're moving away from our CB model of taller rangy and fast.

As far as the other safeties we drafted, I think people aren't coming to grips with life after Earl and/or Kam. With how deep this draft was with defensive backs, this WAS the year to re-stock with a couple capable safeties that can really play the position.

Earl's coming off a major leg injury and Kam probably won't even be here next year.

So I feel the opposite, this was exactly the kind of draft I thought we'd have...........we got back to drafting Hawks, fast, physical and most importantly high motor something to prove went through some tough times type of players that'll REALLY compete.

sdog1981

Reaction score
With them in nickel 60% of the time regardless of down and distance, I think the SLB has gone the way of the Dodo here in Seattle.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":32xdqn0y said:
Pete even said Shaq Griffin fits our outside CB style perfectly, so not sure why you think we're moving away from our CB model of taller rangy and fast.

As far as the other safeties we drafted, I think people aren't coming to grips with life after Earl and/or Kam. With how deep this draft was with defensive backs, this WAS the year to re-stock with a couple capable safeties that can really play the position.

Earl's coming off a major leg injury and Kam probably won't even be here next year.

So I feel the opposite, this was exactly the kind of draft I thought we'd have...........we got back to drafting Hawks, fast, physical and most importantly high motor something to prove went through some tough times type of players that'll REALLY compete.

I think some of it is that there was a general assumption that one of the Husky DBs would end up here. Everything about it made sense.

And it didn't happen.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
They have a buttload of DBs trying to make the team- Baptiste, Seisay, Cox, Elliott, Desir, D. McCray, and then the draftees they added last week.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":16nuboow said:
Sgt. Largent":16nuboow said:

I think some of it is that there was a general assumption that one of the Husky DBs would end up here. Everything about it made sense.

And it didn't happen.

I was one of those assumers, obviously Pete and John didn't feel the same or else they wouldn't have traded down twice when they could have drafted King.

DT was also a big need, so I'm OK with McDowell, even if I was rooting for King.

Like I've said in other threads, I can't be critical until I've actually seen these guys play. If in 2-3 years McDowell's a bust and King is lighting it up for GB? Then we can get the pitch forks and torches out.

HawkGA

Reaction score
I expected a defense heavy draft but like you I was surprised by some of the positions. I thought CB was most like with the first pick. I was ambivalent on whether or not they should draft OL. The WR surprised me. I would have expected another CB or maybe a LB in that spot, though I did not think LB was nearly the need some people did. Two good players already, there just isn't much marginal benefit to adding a 3rd, especially when the 3rd might not really be on the field that often. Still, I expect a linebacker to be taken at some point just for depth and ST.

OP
OP
DJrmb

DJrmb

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":12a57czk said:

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that I don't like the draft. More I'm admitting to having some incorrect assumptions or opinions, and also just examining things from a different angle than the "they didn't draft my guy so they suck" crowd. I actually really liked Griffin before the draft and wrote about him in the NCAA forum as a potential pick (before I knew his Wingspan).

The reason I didn't think we would draft a CB with less than a 77" wingspan is because in the entire history of this front office (7 drafts), until this last draft, they never once drafted a player at CB with less than a 77" wingspan. They drafted 8 CB's over that time and all of them had a wingspan of 77"+. That made me think it was probably a hard and fast rule that 77" is the minimum wingspan they will draft for CB's. Obviously that was either an incorrect assumption or they have relaxed that. Either way I don't care, I love the pick, it was just interesting to me that they did something they've never done before.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
HawkGA":u3val8el said:
I expected a defense heavy draft but like you I was surprised by some of the positions. I thought CB was most like with the first pick. I was ambivalent on whether or not they should draft OL. The WR surprised me. I would have expected another CB or maybe a LB in that spot, though I did not think LB was nearly the need some people did. Two good players already, there just isn't much marginal benefit to adding a 3rd, especially when the 3rd might not really be on the field that often. Still, I expect a linebacker to be taken at some point just for depth and ST.

Right, remember we signed Wilhoite, Garvin and McDonald in the FA period at the LB spot, so not as big of a need going into the draft as many thought.

AgentDib

Reaction score
DJrmb":3cwkblvi said:
I actually see it as interesting and an opportunity to learn. I love how this team never does what everyone thinks they should do.
As fans we are always starved for real information. Front office moves provide a peek through the curtains and now we'll spend the next two months drawing conclusions based on those glimpses.

I wasn't surprised by the lack of LB additions. Wagner and Wright are both good candidates for second extensions, at age 26 and age 27 respectively and under contract until age 29. They've both been durable other than a few strains and sprains. Our current depth is probably just that.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I'm not disappointed in the draft. What surprised me more than anything is the focus on one area or position on team. They spent a lot of draft capital on the secondary specifically the safety position. It's as JS was locked in on that area for the whole draft. It reminded me of Wally Walker drafts when he was the Sonic GM.

Seafan

Reaction score
hawkfan68":3f1b6038 said:
They have a buttload of DBs trying to make the team- Baptiste, Seisay, Cox, Elliott, Desir, D. McCray, and then the draftees they added last week.

Baptiste and Seisay haven't been with the team for a while. There still is a large number of DBs. Thorpe, Lane, Shead are CBs still in the mix.

sdog1981

Reaction score
These are the CB's currently on the 90 man roster.

Cox, Perrish

Elliott, DeAndre

Griffin, Shaquill

Lane, Jeremy

McCray, Demetrius

Sherman, Richard

Thorpe, Neiko

Shead, DeShawn

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
sdog1981":2qs0pvku said:
These are the CB's currently on the 90 man roster.

Cox, Perrish

Elliott, DeAndre

Griffin, Shaquill

Lane, Jeremy

McCray, Demetrius

Sherman, Richard

Thorpe, Neiko

Shead, DeShawn
Griffen was just drafted, so he shouldn't be on the 90-man yet.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Seafan":1fbfe1uv said:
hawkfan68":1fbfe1uv said:

Baptiste and Seisay haven't been with the team for a while. There still is a large number of DBs. Thorpe, Lane, Shead are CBs still in the mix.

Thanks for the heads up. I should have checked .com. I didn't realize they were released.

JerHawk81

Reaction score
A great OP that really got me thinking...

1. Outside CB was clearly not as big a need as I thought it was.
I think your read of the need is actually spot-on, but your read of what we did, may not give Seattle enough credit. We drafted 2 pure CBs, and it's said that we'll try the 2 safeties out at CB as well. To me, it looks like the FO has lined up a big piles of guys who can all compete for spots on the roster.

2. Is Seattle adjusting their profile on corners? Before this draft the Seahawks had never drafted a corner with a wingspan smaller than 77 inches. I didn't know that, but that's crazy! Props to tracking down that stat. You may also be right that we may be relaxing our physical requirements a bit as some of our picks look less than athletic. With that said, Griffin to me, looks the part of a CB in our system. He sure seems to play long and lanky, with good strength, good ball skills, but flawed feet. So, even if his measurements don't fit, it feels like his play does.

3. Not a single Husky or Coug brought in. Local schools ut out a lot of talent this year. I also think that King was probably on their radar, and may have been the selection if the board fell differently. But, I think the interest in King was primarily because of his play, and not the location of his school. I'm guessing here, but I'd wager that local colleges mean far more to fans than to front offices.

4. Not a single linebacker. At the beginning of the draft some would have put linebacker as maybe our top need and most definitely seemed to think it to be in the top 3 needs for this team. I'm shocked that we didn't even draft one. Is this because of a scheme shift/change (4-2-5)? Confidence in who we have already? I couldn't agree with you more on this one... I do think that a 4-2-5 is becoming more common, but it sure feels like having 3 guys with something resembling talent at the LB spot would make sense. I suppose it's possible that they are higher than me on someone already on the roster, but I simply have no clue who that might me... At this point, despite having two Pro Bowl LBs, I think that we lack depth at LB more than anywhere else.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2ridah46 said:
HawkGA":2ridah46 said:

Right, remember we signed Wilhoite, Garvin and McDonald in the FA period at the LB spot, so not as big of a need going into the draft as many thought.

I can assure you that despite those signings, LB is still just as big a need as before.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
I think a lot of fans are overlooking the obvious with the draft.

JS/PC said this was an extremely DEEP class of DB's.

So why would you use you first pick on a DB? That wouldn't
Be taking advantage of the positions depth. Instead and JS
Has said this. The OL and DL had considerably less talent
And had more substantive drop offs in talent throughout
The draft.

So what did they do? They got 2 highly rated guys in areas of need
Before the talent dropped off immensely in McDowell and Pocic.

Knowing that they could attack the DB position in 3rd/4th round.
For all we know Griffin could have been ranked similarly to
Some the 2nd round corners taken. If that is true then they
Maximized the value for their picks
I really liked what they did in this draft.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
I think many people don't quite understand what the draft is all about, and this includes many football executives (Cleveland, I am looking at you).

The draft isn't about "Oh we have a hole, we better draft a guy to fill it". If you follow that philosophy then you end up failing when your drafted wunderkind fails to transition to the NFL level, or takes time to do so.

This is funny because the same people who would criticise us for keeping the same OL as last year (for example) would be first in line to criticise a rookie for blowing a read. We expect rookies to make mistakes because they are rookies, and then turn around and have a go at management when they don't fill an important spot with a rookie. Never fails to amuse.

So you use the FA season to plug serious holes, because you know those guys will at least do a journeyman job of filling the position. Then you go into the draft looking toward the future. Who will you need next year, o the year beyond? Who is the best athlete? How do we get the most value to our team out of this draft? Is there a guy who could beat out our journeyman FA additions?

Then the draftnicks all sit down and look at the obvious team needs and complain we didn't go knee-jerk and take the best guy on their board who fills a spot without looking at the value of the other players available at the time. Whatever. I don't see those guys building Super Bowl teams. JS/PC have nothing to prove in that regard - they've already done it.

We're not a loser team using long-shots to try to claw its way out of loserdom. Guys we draft won't make our roster because we already have a mighty fine roster. That's a terrific problem to have.

Tusc2000

Reaction score
I know some teams go by the philosophy of "take the best player available," but it misses the point that if you have a pressing need for one more LB and don't fill it because there are better WRs and DBs available .... you still are left with a hole in your LB crew.

Pete's known for inserting safeties into LB slots and LBs into DE slots, adding speed to those positions. Sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't. My sense is the best way to fill a need at LB ... is simply to draft a LB.