RUMORS: SEA was considering drafting QB early, maybe Mahomes

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
I almost don't want to do this, but...

Eh, screw it. We wouldn't want the board to get dull post-draft.

Giphy

[tweet]https://twitter.com/RichEisenShow/status/858012372501499904[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/858015551272230912[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/ChrisLaw/status/858053810916294657[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/ChrisLaw/status/858056405005283328[/tweet]

http://www.espn.com/blog/seattle-seahaw ... s-at-no-26

Sheil Kapadia":2rf2sogn said:
Both NFL Network and ESPN Insider's Mike Sando have reported that the Seahawks would have considered Texas Tech's Patrick Mahomes had he fallen to the No. 26 pick.

Giphy

IrishNW

Reaction score
This is a rumor that you could spend alot of time and energy on and never get a real answer. I don't think I even want to pay attention to this one. However, maybe someone that has some inside information could shed some light on this.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
Considering means next to nothing. It's a half ass way to report. Might as well say 'potentially could' or 'it's a possibility', which then trickles down to just plain old conjecture.

I don't believe these people in the media are really as connected as they want us to believe (duh). half of it is throwing crap at a dart board and hoping their crap that sticks was first. Rapoport in particular has been terrible.

Even if 'considering' a QB high, do we really think it has anything to do with Wilson's perf or even personality? You don't replace super bowl winning QBs until they are oooooooold. Not exactly sure what Chris Law was insinuating, but if he really had a story, he'd write it.

pmedic920

Reaction score
It's not a post draft rumor.
I posted in one of the DraftDay threads that I heard some of the talking heads mention it, well before we made our first pick.

Probably still nothing more than rumor but it's been around for a minute.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
It was good to get this rumor out there before the draft because we were interested in trading down for more picks. They admitted that they expected more QBs would be available at the end of first round. Had that been the case, the idea that we were interested in the QB of some other team's desire might have served as bait for a trade down.

Schneider also made the comment pre-draft that it is always good to have a QB "in the chamber," so it's partially trade bait and partially just about needing a backup QB. Does this have anything to do with Russell Wilson? No, LOL.

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
I don't think you risk alienating your starting QB and team captain just to bait a few other teams in the draft. I don't doubt there's something to it.

For as much as we love Wilson, I think most of us have pulled out hair out a few times screaming for him to just run for the first, or get rid of the ball. He also had a problem overthrowing his targets last year--a year that, most of this board has already agreed, was a down year for Wilson.

I guess the coaches have seen all the same things we have.

nash72

Reaction score
Come on. Who cares if they drafted a QB anyways? Wilson is a Super Bowl winning QB and a record setter. He is in no danger of being replaced anytime soon. Our back up QB situation is still kind of in limbo though. Boykins isnt doing himself any favors as of late.

Tusc2000

Reaction score
WindCityHawk":2tmoho9o said:
I don't think you risk alienating your starting QB and team captain just to bait a few other teams in the draft. I don't doubt there's something to it.

For as much as we love Wilson, I think most of us have pulled out hair out a few times screaming for him to just run for the first, or get rid of the ball. He also had a problem overthrowing his targets last year--a year that, most of this board has already agreed, was a down year for Wilson.

I guess the coaches have seen all the same things we have.

Whatever deficiencies RW has, they pale in comparison to how badly a rookie QB can *mod edit* especially if they play behind a less-than-stellar O-line.

Nothing about that Mahomes pick makes any sense, although I would not discount the likelihood that it was discussed.

Yxes1122

Reaction score
I wanted Seattle to draft Mahomes early in the process before we was a surefire first round pick. Mahomes after the snap is as good as Russell Wilson. He's bigger and has a better arm. The question with him was whether or not he could pick up the "in-structure" part of quarterbacking. He needs to sit for a year or two, but I think he has a shot to be really good in this league.

I think Seattle would've considered it at 26 if he'd fallen. I think Mahomes could've been our Rodgers/Garopollo type guy, to sit for a bit, learn and then succeed Wilson. (The jury's still out on Jimmy G. but the value to the team is still there.)

That isn't a knock on Wilson, who is a great QB, but I think Seattle saw what happens when he gets injured and I think they are seeing the value of having a young, groomed back up QB. They are huge trade chips. Taking and developing QBs is of huge value to any team. Still bummed Kelly went to Denver. Wanted him so bad. I know he has more baggage than a 747, but outside of Mahomes he was the best out of structure QB that I saw and would've been a good back up for WIlson.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Well, let's stop tender footing around it . . . (COVER YOUR EYES, Anthony!):

WILSON WAS NOT GOOD LAST SEASON.

We all know the "why": Terrible pass protection, no running game, his three significant injuries, Jermaine Kearse falling off the shelf, losing Tyler Lockett, trying to get Graham into the offense more, the limits of our rather vanilla and non-creative offense (in Bevell's defense, you can't begin to get creative when the QB has 2.2 seconds to survive).

The problem is, Wilson started to look shell shocked. Because of those factors, his pocket awareness is not good. He doesn't step up into the pocket (what pocket?), and immediately tries to escape. The problem with the escape artist routine, which worked so well in his first few seasons, is that he came in heavier and slower. As of right now, defenses know how to keep him bottled up. We need our play makers to make them pay for over-defending everything Wilson does. We need a consistent running game that can make defenses think twice.

I am extremely worried about Wilson having David Carr Syndrome. I can't blame him; I blame the coaching staff and the scouts for continually putting out sub par lines. We are wasting the best years of our once in a generation franchise QB. Wilson needs help, from all levels. But as others have pointed out, yeah - he missed a lot of throws last season. His deep ball accuracy, which he used to be great at, was not good. If you watch the All-22, you will see open receivers that Wilson does not see or has no time to get to.

This team cannot afford to have offensive outputs like we did last season. It was embarrassing to watch. 12 points, 3 points, 6 points, 5 points, 13 points scored against the worst defense in the league, 10 points. Those are TOTAL points scored in a game. Abysmal.

Now, with all of that said - the premise of this rumor is the Seahawks are looking to replace Wilson in a few years?

Hogwash.

I expect a big bounce-back from #3 this season.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
I don't doubt this rumors are true that they were CONSIDERING taking a QB early (whether or not they actually WOULD HAVE is a completely different story that we'll probably never be able to answer though).

I have a completely different take on this though ... and I'm not knocking Russell Wilson whatsoever. What is it that we've always heard Pete Carroll preach? What is his constant mantra? It's ALWAYS COMPETE. And I believe he sincerely believes that and that there should be strong competition AT EVERY POSITION ... ALL THE TIME. I think that this is because they are so married to that idea. But be honest with yourself. As you look at the roster, you see competition -- good quality depth at basically every position out there. Except one -- quarterback. There is no true real good depth behind Russell Wilson. No one whom you can look at and honestly say, "That guy right there -- he's a threat to push him for the starting job." Now on the one hand that sounds ridiculous. Of course nobody's going to unseat Russell Wilson as this team's starting QB. BUT -- if you have no one to really push you -- no one who's honestly a threat to take your job -- that's when the threat of complacency can set in. If you have no one to push you and to drive you to stay at the top of your game ... a person can become lazy. I'm not saying that's what's happened in Wilson's case, but that is human nature.

Add in to that all the stuff surrounding Boykin and the fact that there are serious questions about what would happen if Russell Wilson were to ever go down. This team doesn't have a real proven back-up QB. That's my take on the whole matter of why I think targeting a QB in this past draft (and especially doing so early) would have made all the sense in the world.

Seafan

Reaction score
JS talked about drafting a QB before the draft and had Davis Webb in for a visit. This doesn't surprise me I'm just glad the Hawks didn't waste their picks.

Rat

Reaction score
They might just think Mahomes is really good. I'd imagine the board would have had to fall in the worst way possible for him to have been the pick at #26 though.

That fact that they didn't acquire any QBs via the draft or free agency would indicate that if they even had any interest, it was about the prospect, as opposed to a desire to find a long-term replacement for Russ.

chris98251

Reaction score
Or maybe like Arizona they were plugging a false interest in there and leaked it out to cause QB needy teams to jump up causing other players to drop they wanted.......................... Arizona needs a QB but they were in a lousy position to get the one they wanted I think and created a trade up stir.

sdog1981

Reaction score
I would tell every team that I was looking to draft a QB so a team that needs a QB would be willing to trade all the way up to get my pick.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Thanks for opening this can of worms Montana. I am very surprised you posted this BS. The naysayers are out in this one. :34853_doh:

Crizilla

Reaction score
I made a prediction draft day mahomes would lead the chiefs to a super bowl.

Would have loved the pick, but KC is much better fit for him obviously

Also - how is Russ "damn good" but "not great"? Why not Prisco have so many levels of how to rate a QB? It's like movie or video game reviewers who use decimals. You don't need to get that precise.

OP
OP
MontanaHawk05

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":2gp37muc said:

We all know the "why": Terrible pass protection, no running game, his three significant injuries, Jermaine Kearse falling off the shelf, losing Tyler Lockett, trying to get Graham into the offense more, the limits of our rather vanilla and non-creative offense (in Bevell's defense, you can't begin to get creative when the QB has 2.2 seconds to survive).

The problem is, Wilson started to look shell shocked. Because of those factors, his pocket awareness is not good. He doesn't step up into the pocket (what pocket?), and immediately tries to escape. The problem with the escape artist routine, which worked so well in his first few seasons, is that he came in heavier and slower. As of right now, defenses know how to keep him bottled up. We need our play makers to make them pay for over-defending everything Wilson does. We need a consistent running game that can make defenses think twice.

I am extremely worried about Wilson having David Carr Syndrome. I can't blame him; I blame the coaching staff and the scouts for continually putting out sub par lines. We are wasting the best years of our once in a generation franchise QB. Wilson needs help, from all levels. But as others have pointed out, yeah - he missed a lot of throws last season. His deep ball accuracy, which he used to be great at, was not good. If you watch the All-22, you will see open receivers that Wilson does not see or has no time to get to.

This team cannot afford to have offensive outputs like we did last season. It was embarrassing to watch. 12 points, 3 points, 6 points, 5 points, 13 points scored against the worst defense in the league, 10 points. Those are TOTAL points scored in a game. Abysmal.

Greg, that post surprises me coming from you. You don't break 4,000 passing yards in a season by being not good, especially without a running game. He took a tick downwards, as did most of his stats, but not a significant tick. His completion percentage (64.7%, 2nd best in his career by a hair) is still one that many NFL teams would give their right arms for. Wilson has always underthrown deep passes, every year.

He's also always sought to escape the pocket. You can argue David Carr syndrome if you want, but I think he can just see the field better under those conditions. He's short.

Those games that you cited? Bad, but give credit to elite veteran defensive lines matching up perfectly against a green OL. Also, again, when has Wilson NOT had to win ugly once a month against teams Pete and Darell were obviously caught looking past? Our Super Bowl run had a couple such teams (Tampa). Wilson had a lot of good games, too. In fact, he had more good ones than bad ones. By a margin of 10-5-1, IIRC. That's how you get into the playoffs.

The likeliest interpretation of this rumor is that Pete and John are trying to play four-dimensional chess and ensure early QB runs in next year's draft. I might have wanted to say that they're trying to keep Wilson humble in future contract negotiations, but Wilson's age is too low and Mahomes' draft stock too high (even at #26) to make that practical.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2dkwxr6q said:
FlyingGreg":2dkwxr6q said:

Greg, that post surprises me coming from you. You don't break 4,000 passing yards in a season by being not good, especially without a running game. He took a tick downwards, as did most of his stats, but not a significant tick. His completion percentage (64.7%, 2nd best in his career by a hair) is still one that many NFL teams would give their right arms for. Wilson has always underthrown deep passes, every year.

He's also always sought to escape the pocket. You can argue David Carr syndrome if you want, but I think he can just see the field better under those conditions. He's short.

Those games that you cited? Bad, but give credit to elite veteran defensive lines matching up perfectly against a green OL. Also, again, when has Wilson NOT had to win ugly once a month against teams Pete and Darell were obviously caught looking past? Our Super Bowl run had a couple such teams (Tampa). Wilson had a lot of good games, too. In fact, he had more good ones than bad ones. By a margin of 10-5-1, IIRC. That's how you get into the playoffs.

The likeliest interpretation of this rumor is that Pete and John are trying to play four-dimensional chess and ensure early QB runs in next year's draft. I might have wanted to say that they're trying to keep Wilson humble in future contract negotiations, but Wilson's age is too low and Mahomes' draft stock too high (even at #26) to make that practical.

Just my two cents. Yards passing is THE worst metric to use in trying to say he was good. Yards mean nothing ... way too many variables.

If "getting into the playoffs" is your litmus test, great. I personally would like to see us not getting our doors blown off in the Divisional round like we have the last two seasons.

Wilson is special. As I listed, there were a multitude of factors why he struggled last season. That's not inflammatory or anti-Wilson in the least. It is factual. We all watched the same games, right? It wasn't pretty. Not at all his fault, but he isn't exempt from scrutiny.

Again, I think he bounces back this season. And again, the idea that they are looking to replace him is crazy.

Tusc2000

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":3lo9jbmu said:
MontanaHawk05":3lo9jbmu said:
FlyingGreg":3lo9jbmu said:

Just my two cents. Yards passing is THE worst metric to use in trying to say he was good. Yards mean nothing ... way too many variables.

If "getting into the playoffs" is your litmus test, great. I personally would like to see us not getting our doors blown off in the Divisional round like we have the last two seasons.

Wilson is special. As I listed, there were a multitude of factors why he struggled last season. That's not inflammatory or anti-Wilson in the least. It is factual. We all watched the same games, right? It wasn't pretty. Not at all his fault, but he isn't exempt from scrutiny.

Again, I think he bounces back this season. And again, the idea that they are looking to replace him is crazy.

Totally agree about yards passing. Some of the QBs with big yardage will pile it up because their teams are always losing in the 4th quarter, they need to throw to get back in the game, and the other team goes into the prevent D.