RB Competition will be incredible

quadsas

Reaction score
Good problem to have when Lacy, Rawls and Prosise would likely start for a lot of teams. Should expect some fire from them in preseason

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
They have a good RB arsenal with some options. Lacy will be the featured back, but Rawls will be great to spell him for 8+ carries and Prosise the 3rd down back and also could be sent in motion to the slot.

The real competition will be for the last spot-likely Collins, but Carson will be interesting to watch develop, the BYU FB will get a look and Pope, Farmer and others could push for a spot later in the year. Health is foremost a concern with everyone.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":3opzvta3 said:
With our injury "luck".....two of the three will be sidelined by Pre-season.
First thing I thought of when viewing this thread. Imo it's a make or break year for both rawls an procise .and I guess feastmode as well. Hoping they all stay healthy.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
quadsas":1i2yib7o said:
Good problem to have when Lacy, Rawls and Prosise would likely start for a lot of teams. Should expect some fire from them in preseason
You're not going to get away with a "Feel Good Post", there's already guys unzipping their fly, and getting ready to pee all over your positives.
I agree with you 100%...We know that not all of the RB's on board right now, are going to be on the 53 man roster, but numerically, our options are astonishing.
I was hoping that the Seahawks would take a chance on Joe Mixon in the Draft, because of his punishing running style, and then I looked at the in your grill numbers that Chris Carson put up, and I believe he has as good or better delivery than Mixon, without all the off the field red flags.
Algernon Brown....Big guy lot's of upside to bring to the table.
Along with Rawls and Prosise, there's also Pope, Collins, & Farmer with a legitimate shot in Pete's "Competition"
All Good :2thumbs:

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
Lacy has to prove that he can get and stay in shape, Rawls and Prosise have to prove that they can run from here to there without getting injured, and Collins and Carson have to prove that they're legitimate NFL roster-caliber RB's. If all of that takes place (unlikely), THEN it will be a good problem to have.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
I don't think it's going to be incredible; I think it's going to be frustrating. Last year, Pete and John's attempts to mix in carries for Alex Collins were met with outcries from the fans because it meant that the leading back (Rawls, at the time) was getting taken off the field and consistency and momentum were being sacrificed. The Bevell-haters assumed it was his fault, of course, but in general, the sentiment on the board (which isn't necessarily any indicator of truth, I realize) was the opposite of welcoming a RB competition. It was more like "either build an actual RBBC system and structure the offense around it, or pick a back and stick with him".

If we do end up going with a committee system, it had better work.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3uxxdflq said:
I don't think it's going to be incredible; I think it's going to be frustrating. Last year, Pete and John's attempts to mix in carries for Alex Collins were met with outcries from the fans because it meant that the leading back (Rawls, at the time) was getting taken off the field and consistency and momentum were being sacrificed. The Bevell-haters assumed it was his fault, of course, but in general, the sentiment on the board (which isn't necessarily any indicator of truth, I realize) was the opposite of welcoming a RB competition. It was more like "either build an actual RBBC system and structure the offense around it, or pick a back and stick with him".

If we do end up going with a committee system, it had better work.
Ya, personally, I'm never a fan of RBBC. I hope one guy (I really don't care which one) turns it on and wins the job outright, with the others fillin in to spell when needed. I'm not a huge Lacy fan, but I will be if he can stay in shape, run hard and help us win games. I'm personally a fan of Rawls and would love for him to win the job and stay healthy all year. I'm no fan of Collins, and liked what I saw in highlights from Carson, so I'll be pulling for him. But if he doesn't make it, eh, its a 7th round pick, so no loss.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":6eb26okp said:
With our injury "luck".....two of the three will be sidelined by Pre-season.
Depth not only mitigates injury risk by giving you alternatives, but it can also help prevent more serious injuries in the first place by lowering snap counts and reducing the incentive to play through minor injury. I think we'd all be nervous about Rawls as a three down back getting 25 carries per game. However, with Lacy/Rawls/Prosise/Collins/Carson/Pope I'm very optimistic that we're going to have good options deep into the season.

The committee approach may frustrate fans but there's a reason that it's so successful in the NFL. We're already vulnerable to a single injury at the QB position and having the same exposure at RB is setting yourself up for bad luck.

FidelisHawk

Reaction score
Eddie Lacy’s career is remarkably similar to Marshawn’s;

Two good years with a pro-bowl selection;
EL ‘13 1178 yds 4.1 yds/a ProBowl
EL ‘14 1139 yds 4.6 yds/a

ML ‘07 1115 yds 4.0 yds/a
ML ‘08 1036 yds 4.1 yds/a ProBowl

Two down years for whatever reason;
EL ‘15 758 yds 4.1 yds/a
EL ‘16 360 yds 5.1 yds/a

ML ‘09 450 yds 3.8 yds/a
ML ‘10 737 yds 3.6 yds/a between both teams

Let’s hope the next four years of his career follow a similar pattern as well….

Seafan

Reaction score
Competition should be good everywhere except QB. The PS should be solid. There is an assumption the team will carry 4 RBs. The Hawks were forced last year to do so due to injuries but had not done that previously. Same with carrying 4 TEs last season. WR looks like a position the team may carry more than their traditional numbers and DL.

chris98251

Reaction score
I think we have 5 with a Carson and Brown RB/FB, although I do not see Algernon Brown, FB, BYU
on the actual roster right now, and with Prosise we won't need as many WR's since he is the RB/WR combo which brings us to TE, Graham and Vannett and Willson are locks, there are going to be a lot of PS signings this year at skill positions I think.

RiverDog

Reaction score
It's not incredible competition as much as it is a shotgun approach to solving a problem. Every one of our backs has warts.

OP
OP
Q

quadsas

Reaction score
People are so negative for no reason. Throwback to last year when everyone was so excited about getting Rawls back with Prosise and Collins drafted

RiverDog

Reaction score
quadsas":1lhj6785 said:
People are so negative for no reason. Throwback to last year when everyone was so excited about getting Rawls back with Prosise and Collins drafted

Negative for no reason? For one reason or another, Rawls had just one solid game last season (vs. Carolina), Prosise got hurt, and Collins had all of 31 carries. Now we bring in Eddie Lacy, who ate his way out of Titletown, and we pick up an RB towards the end of the last round of the draft.

I'm not being negative, but there's nothing there that's going to make even the most enthusiastic, Pollyannaish fan to start turning backflips. If anything begs a wait-and-see approach, our situation at RB is one of them.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Eddie Lacy was the rb that I wanted the Seahawks to get in 2013 draft. However, he was drafted one spot ahead of their first pick that year (which turned out to be Christine Michael). They didn't have a 1st round pick due to the trade with the Vikings for Harvin. Funny how things turn out, he's now a Seahawk. I wish all these backs success and hope they make it hard for PC/JS to choose. The better they perform should result in the Seahawks improving their running game. Which benefits the team overall.

nanomoz

Reaction score
I'd personally love an RBBC approach that is part of game-planning. I mean, as long as they stick with a hot hand when it's discovered in-game. The Patriots have done a great job of this for years.

chris98251

Reaction score
nanomoz":1liy029z said:
I'd personally love an RBBC approach that is part of game-planning. I mean, as long as they stick with a hot hand when it's discovered in-game. The Patriots have done a great job of this for years.

There is a big difference, The Patriots are the best or one of the best teams in the league making adjustments on the fly, we are one of the slowest and stubbornly so.

IrishNW

Reaction score
I'm hoping lacy brings that physical running factor, rawls can be a explosive change of pace back and procise can be a match up piece. everyone else will be battling for a backup spot