So who was the pick they wanted?

vin.couve12

Reaction score
This is from the new article on the home page. Hill went at 95 so let's see if we can figure out who it was between 95 and 102. This should be fun.

Following the selection of Hill, the Seahawks had a short break until their next pick, No. 102. At least one player Seattle liked came off the board during that span, the room reacting with mild disappointment

http://www.seahawks.com/news/2017/05/10/“we’re-just-getting-warmed-”-inside-seahawks’-draft-room-during-busy-third-round

OP
OP
vin.couve12

vin.couve12

Reaction score
32 (96)LionsNorthern IllinoisGolladay, Kenny (WR)
From Patriots
33 (97)DolphinsClemsonTankersley, Cordrea (CB)
Compensatory Selection
34 (98)CardinalsGrambling St.Williams, Chad (WR)
Compensatory Selection - From Panthers
35 (99)EaglesWest VirginiaDouglas, Rasul (CB)
Compensatory Selection - From Ravens
36 (100)TitansFlorida InternationalSmith, Jonnu (TE)
Compensatory Selection - From Rams
37 (101)BroncosLamarLangley, Brendan (CB)

Again, Hill was 95 and Jones was 102.

OP
OP
vin.couve12

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Dos pesos:

It says mild disappointment, but since we went Tyson later and are looking at him to play CB, I'm guessing it was a CB.

Now, that could have pushed Jones to another team or maybe they thought they could wait on one of said CBs and picked them up after Jones too.

Still interesting...

Sun Tzu

Reaction score
I think it's Rasul Douglas. A lot of the focus this draft was on creating turnovers. Douglas had 8 interceptions, is a solid press corner, is physical against the run, and fits the Seahawk CB measurables.

Although, Tankersley was one of the team's visits. He also fits the mold and is a lot faster. Taking one of the two CBs at 102 and bumping each of the Hawks next three picks back (missing out on one of the three) may have made this a significantly better draft class.

Jville

Reaction score
I don't normally participate in such exercises. But since a corrected working link is helpful and fixed here >>> [urltargetblank]http://www.seahawks.com/news/2017/05/10/%E2%80%9Cwe%E2%80%99re-just-getting-warmed-%E2%80%9D-inside-seahawks%E2%80%99-draft-room-during-busy-third-round[/urltargetblank] ... I'll go ahead and hazard a guess as well.

It might have been the versatile TE Jonnu Smith. A toss up between Smith (if he had of lasted) and WR Amara Darboh who was Seattle's pick at #106 might have existed. There are currently only 4 tight ends listed on today's .com roster. So the UDFA additions and tryouts at that position will be of particular interest as official announcements are made later today or tomorrow.

P.S. Jonnu Smith has been compared to Delanie Walker. So Smith going to the Titans as Walkers understudy is probably a good draft outcome for both Smith and the Titans.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Jville":3sd78y8n said:
I don't normally participate in such exercises. But since a corrected working link is helpful and fixed here >>> [urltargetblank]http://www.seahawks.com/news/2017/05/10/%E2%80%9Cwe%E2%80%99re-just-getting-warmed-%E2%80%9D-inside-seahawks%E2%80%99-draft-room-during-busy-third-round[/urltargetblank] ... I'll go ahead and hazard a guess as well.

It might have been the versatile TE Jonnu Smith. A toss up between Smith (if he had of lasted) and WR Amara Darboh who was Seattle's pick at #106 might have existed. There are currently only 4 tight ends listed on today's .com roster. So the UDFA additions and tryouts at that position will be of particular interest as official announcements are made later today or tomorrow.

P.S. Jonnu Smith has been compared to Delanie Walker. So Smith going to the Titans as Walkers understudy is probably a good draft outcome for both Smith and the Titans.

I agree Jville. It makes sense they may have been targeting Jonnu Smith. They could have had Rasul Douglas or Tankersley at #90th or the #95 choice but instead chose Griffin and Hill respectively. So I think that eliminates another DB (Douglas or Tankersley, etc) from being the target.

ivotuk

Reaction score
For those of you liking Jonnu:

Height - 6'3"

Arm Length - 32 7/8"
Weight - 248LBS 30LBS heavier than Golloday

Hands - 9 1/4"

40 - 4.62 SEC

Bench - 22 REPS

Vert - 38.0 INCH - Top Performer

Broad Jump - 127.0 INCH - Top Performer

20 Yd Shuttle - 4.18 SEC - Top Performer

60 YD Shuttle - 11.57 SEC - Top Performer

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/ ... id=2558207

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Interesting how many opinions differ on this. I thought the obvious answer would be Tankersley but many see it differently. I can see everyone on the OP's list picked at least once. Probably at least one good argument for each.

sdog1981

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":3lqbtsi1 said:
Interesting how many opinions differ on this. I thought the obvious answer would be Tankersley but many see it differently. I can see everyone on the OP's list picked at least once. Probably at least one good argument for each.

I thought they would have gone with Tanksersley and Griffin.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Chad Williams.

Was a VMAC visitor. Makes complete sense to take Darboh immediately thereafter, as it was the midst of a run on WR talents by end of third.

In this case, it seemed a pretty big miscalculation of where Hill was likely to go. Williams was regarded as a much higher rated prospect in general circles. Obviously Seattle really liked Hill, much in the same way they liked Pocic. But it would have been a more calculated gamble to take Williams at 95, since there was still better CB talent left on the board to push Hill down to 102.

It's also possible they wanted Jonnu Smith out of FIU. Was a very strong tester. But also a player who could have been a calculated gamble himself to slide through to 102. The main indication they may have wanted to go this way, was the fact that they tried on day three to move up for either Butt or Kittle at the top of R5. Indicating that they wanted to get a TE in this strong class and that move to R5 was their plan B.

massari

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":qndk1mh3 said:
Chad Williams.

Was a VMAC visitor. Makes complete sense to take Darboh immediately thereafter, as it was the midst of a run on WR talents by end of third.

In this case, it seemed a pretty big miscalculation of where Hill was likely to go. Williams was regarded as a much higher rated prospect in general circles. Obviously Seattle really liked Hill, much in the same way they liked Pocic. But it would have been a more calculated gamble to take Williams at 95, since there was still better CB talent left on the board to push Hill down to 102.

It's also possible they wanted Jonnu Smith out of FIU. Was a very strong tester. But also a player who could have been a calculated gamble himself to slide through to 102. The main indication they may have wanted to go this way, was the fact that they tried on day three to move up for either Butt or Kittle at the top of R5. Indicating that they wanted to get a TE in this strong class and that move to R5 was their plan B.
Chad Williams makes sense since the trend was picking guys no one really thought of. Fast small school guy who could be a steal.

OP
OP
vin.couve12

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Chad Williams had legal trouble with mj and firearms just before his senior year and I really don't think he's as good a prospect as Darboh anyway. Not sure that I buy that one, but if that were the case then I'd think it worked out for the better.

Sun Tzu

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":22vy4oyu said:
Chad Williams.

In what circles was Williams regarded as a much higher prospect than Hill? I can see the possibility of some "That 70's Show" style circles, but legitimate draft analysis? C'mon Man. I can't find any indication that Williams was a higher regarded prospect. Williams is a mid to late day three developmental prospect on almost every draft board and Hill is a solid day two selection.
Seattle allegedly had a round 2 or higher grade on all of the players selected in the third round. I find it hard to believe, given the combine performance and other measurables of players taken between 95 and 102, that JS had a second round grade on anyone other than Douglas and Tankersley from that group. Combine that with JS/PC's history of attacking a weakness with multiple options and the two CBs seem even more probable.
Shaq was likely the first DB taken because, like Pocic, he potentially addresses multiple positions. He can compete on the outside and at nickle, and I think he may be able to play as a center fielder style safety providing FS depth. If a second DB suited to playing press man coverage on the outside was available after the Hill pick the long term DB picture looks really promising. The team would have had difficulty cutting ties with Sherman and maintaining a top 5 defense this year. This doesn't mean they aren't planning for the possibility that Sherman either continues to decline or cause problems and needs to be moved. We should keep in mind that while many on here are looking at the teams immediate needs, JS is looking 2 and 3 years down the road.

massari

Reaction score
"Following the selection of Hill, the Seahawks had a short break until their next pick, No. 102. At least one player Seattle liked came off the board during that span, the room reacting with mild disappointment.

With Pick No. 102 approaching, Schneider had a quick chat with Northeast area scout Todd Brunner. A couple more picks come off the board, the Seahawks reacting more positively to some than others."

So that subtracts TE Jonnu Smith and CB Brendan Langley from the discussion and narrows it down to WR Kenny Golladay, CB Cordrea Tankersley, WR Chad Williams and CB Rasul Douglas.

titan3131

Reaction score
massari":u2yxd572 said:
"Following the selection of Hill, the Seahawks had a short break until their next pick, No. 102. At least one player Seattle liked came off the board during that span, the room reacting with mild disappointment.

With Pick No. 102 approaching, Schneider had a quick chat with Northeast area scout Todd Brunner. A couple more picks come off the board, the Seahawks reacting more positively to some than others."[/i

So that subtracts TE Jonnu Smith and CB Brendan Langley from the discussion and narrows it down to WR Kenny Golladay, CB Cordrea Tankersley, WR Chad Williams and CB Rasul Douglas.

It's incredibly obvious it was rasul Douglas. Fits seahawky to the T

Sun Tzu

Reaction score
titan3131":1ufkuyfn said:
massari":1ufkuyfn said:

With Pick No. 102 approaching, Schneider had a quick chat with Northeast area scout Todd Brunner. A couple more picks come off the board, the Seahawks reacting more positively to some than others."[/i

It's incredibly obvious it was rasul Douglas. Fits seahawky to the T

I agree that this seems the most likely, not sure about obvious though. Douglas' short area speed, vert, length and size fit the Seahawks much better than Tankersley, but Tankersley was in for a visit so JS may have seen something that we're not considering.