5 takeaways from Seahawks’ offensive line coach Tom Cable’s

Jville

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/SportsRadioKJR/status/862451460419633152[/tweet]

....................................For Mature Audiences...................................

5 takeaways from Seahawks’ offensive line coach Tom Cable’s radio interview (the plan) >>> [urltargetblank]http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seahawks/5-takeaways-from-seahawks-offensive-line-coach-tom-cables-radio-interview/[/urltargetblank]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/DavisHsuSeattle/status/862409478477459457[/tweet]

Starting out the competition with ......
[tweet]https://twitter.com/DavisHsuSeattle/status/862409538527387648[/tweet]
And .......[tweet]https://twitter.com/DavisHsuSeattle/status/862409648619479040[/tweet]
And .......[tweet]https://twitter.com/DavisHsuSeattle/status/862410447328169984[/tweet]
And .......[tweet]https://twitter.com/KevinShockey/status/862406181662228480[/tweet]
Weight up dates ........[tweet]https://twitter.com/DavisHsuSeattle/status/862408149059252224[/tweet]
And this ....... [tweet]https://twitter.com/DavisHsuSeattle/status/862420296048889856[/tweet]
Concluding with this ..... [tweet]https://twitter.com/DavisHsuSeattle/status/862445004853190656[/tweet]

bighawk

Reaction score
I love the fact that Fant and Odihambo took the initiative to muscle up and to get ready for battle. I also think Odihambo is holding the LG spot for Joekel.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Anyone know why on that list of Lineups that starting Center should be Justin Britt's name but has BM77 on it, nickname?

ivotuk

Reaction score
theincrediblesok":3w28kxhg said:
Anyone know why on that list of Lineups that starting Center should be Justin Britt's name but has BM77 on it, nickname?

That's actually a very sloppy "Britt"

ivotuk

Reaction score
That was a great interview. And I believe everything he said.

My biggest takeaways were 2. The line that struggled last year is going to take a big leap forward this year. I know this because Justin Britt has been dragging his boys to the gym every week to put on weight, and learn how to be tough.

And the line will be pretty much the same as last year, but there will be opportunities for new guys to beat the old ones out. I don't think they will. The only competition I see is between Fant and Joekel, and I think George wins that one.

And one thing that Cable said rings true. "If you pay your offensive line what their worth in order to keep them, you won't be able to pay your QB, RB, Defense, etc. (LT $10 - 13 million per year, other positions, 7 million per year) that adds up.

The Cap is limited, and that money has to be prioritized. So where can we scrimp? The obvious choice? Offensive line.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
I remain a Fant skeptic. That right side looks a lot more interesting.

sdog1981

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3ovkb0cf said:
I remain a Fant skeptic. That right side looks a lot more interesting.

This is also part of the reason this is so frustrating. This team could have had the entire right side of the line set LAST season during training camp. Just once I want to see Cable keep the same 5 guys all through the summer and the first three games before he starts moving players around. This could be year two of the same three players could be playing in the same three positions as they did the year before. Sometimes I feel this coaching staff likes to get too cute with how they do things along the Oline.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Competition doesn't look too tough at that LG spot. I wouldn't be surprised if Glow has a chance to head back that way at some point.

zelter

Reaction score
REES vs ROOS - epic battle in training camp for LG

Seafan

Reaction score
HawkFan72":18w473fe said:
Competition doesn't look too tough at that LG spot. I wouldn't be surprised if Glow has a chance to head back that way at some point.

Either Joekle or Rees could emerge there. Seems competitive but the good thing about the way Cable works there are options in case of injuries. I expect a really solid group to make the team and a couple talented prospects on the PS.

kidhawk

Reaction score
ivotuk":3qj97h9y said:
That was a great interview. And I believe everything he said.

I believe that HE believes every word of it, but I hear him saying positive stuff every off season. I want to see it on the field, and I sincerely hope we will see a big jump this year. We need to find 5 solid guys to start week in and week out. Just being consistent will improve our O-line play

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawknation2017":1sfa8uy1 said:
Glowinski is looking pretty yoked too. Fant looks like a Greek God.
32alu8h0mtwy

I read he put on something like 30 lbs of muscle.

Still maybe to raw to start, but IMO Fant has the most upside of anyone on that line.

Atradees

Reaction score
Fant looks like a beast to me. Color me unimpressed. Looks like incompetance to me. Just like the handwriting....

AgentDib

Reaction score
HawkFan72":3e9whemx said:
Joeckel is also being evaluated for the LG spot while Odhiambo is in competition for the LT spot. It just doesn't look as clean on a napkin if you list people at more than one spot.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Atradees":2rlzbjuz said:
Fant looks like a beast to me. Color me unimpressed. Looks like incompetance to me. Just like the handwriting....

wat

chris98251

Reaction score
Fant looks like he is all muscle, no chubs in his face and his upper body is able to be seen as pretty buff even with that shirt on.

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
Interesting position re-designations appeared overnight on the seahawks.com roster. Those changes reflect the information volunteered in the Tom Cable interview.

Designated centers only Justin Britt and Joey Hunt.
Center/Guard ..... Will Pericak.
Designated Guard only Mark Glowinski.
Guard/Tackle Oday Aboushi, Germain Ifedi, Luke Joeckel, Rees Odiambo and Ethan Pocic.
Designated Tackles only are George Fant, Robert Myers and Justin Senior.

I noted Montana's comment about the right side being the more interesting side. Cable's comments suggest that sorting out the right side will be the initial priority. It is to the right side that most running backs like to run. It's also the side most quarterbacks like to roll to. As the competition unfolds, I'll be looking for a guard tackle combination to gel and make itself clearly evident. I'd like to see a stronger and more threatening outside zone.

It also seems rather evident that both tackle spots will become more physical and nasty in 2017.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
ivotuk":3gqtxyzy said:
And one thing that Cable said rings true. "If you pay your offensive line what their worth in order to keep them, you won't be able to pay your QB, RB, Defense, etc. (LT $10 - 13 million per year, other positions, 7 million per year) that adds up.

The Cap is limited, and that money has to be prioritized. So where can we scrimp? The obvious choice? Offensive line.

Hope for the best, which probably, in all reality, would be an average O-Line (Mayyyybe). The FO really should not say they are promoting "continuity" at the Offensive Line because that is obviously not true. (Pete Carroll preaches O-line continuity, remains bullish on George Fant) At first that seemed halfway true in the sense that LG,C,RG would be the same players (and at the same place) for the next season and could only get better. That does not look to be the case. Britt being the only solidified spot at C (at least for this season) with all other spots up for grabs.

Cable seems to say we will never have the same O-Line much less any of the same players for more than a few seasons. Closest the O-Line will every come to continuity would be for at least 4 guys starting consistently at the same spots throughout the season. Closest but not likely, if recent history has any precedence.

In reality the strategy is not continuity but closer to keeping the dam from busting with sandbags instead of fixing and solidify the cracks. Simplified............

-The O-Line will never be a priority in spending (No matter how awful).

-Resigning O-Linemen past their rookie contracts will not happen no matter how well they play for the team.

-If the team ever brings in a veteran (one well past his prime) it will be for a very short time and for a very low price (take it or leave it, no one really wants you anymore anyway).

-Replace players leaving with the draft, cheap free agents and hope Cable's "genius" can make, at the very least, a functional line.

There is no continuity here now or probably in the future. Not saying the strategy is wrong but no one really should get their hopes up for the O-Line this year. Just hope for RW not getting hurt like last season.

Giphy

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":3qlv3czx said:
ivotuk":3qlv3czx said:

Hope for the best, which probably, in all reality, would be an average O-Line (Mayyyybe). The FO really should not say they are promoting "continuity" at the Offensive Line because that is obviously not true. (Pete Carroll preaches O-line continuity, remains bullish on George Fant) At first that seemed halfway true in the sense that LG,C,RG would be the same players (and at the same place) for the next season and could only get better. That does not look to be the case. Britt being the only solidified spot at C (at least for this season) with all other spots up for grabs.

Cable seems to say we will never have the same O-Line much less any of the same players for more than a few seasons. Closest the O-Line will every come to continuity would be for at least 4 guys starting consistently at the same spots throughout the season. Closest but not likely, if recent history has any precedence.

In reality the strategy is not continuity but closer to keeping the dam from busting with sandbags instead of fixing and solidify the cracks. Simplified............

-The O-Line will never be a priority in spending (No matter how awful).

-Resigning O-Linemen past their rookie contracts will not happen no matter how well they play for the team.

-If the team ever brings in a veteran (one well past his prime) it will be for a very short time and for a very low price (take it or leave it, no one really wants you anymore anyway).

-Replace players leaving with the draft, cheap free agents and hope Cable's "genius" can make, at the very least, a functional line.

There is no continuity here now or probably in the future. Not saying the strategy is wrong but no one really should get their hopes up for the O-Line this year. Just hope for RW not getting hurt like last season.

Giphy

4 out of 5 starters from last year have a chance to start again this year. All but the three worst linemen from last year are back, just more added to the competition. How is this not continuity?

Latest posts