Compete for backup job

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
In what would definitely be considered a Seahawks way of doing things, I'd like Pete to draw up a competition for the backup quarterback job between Kaepernick, Boykin and Tarvaris. This being under the assumption that no legal issues hamper Boykin from being able to take part in said competition. If it does, cut him. Tarvaris had a run-in with the law last summer, but all charges were dismissed, so having not seen anything to suggest otherwise, I'm assuming he'd be cleared to compete. If he couldn't suit up for Game 1, move on.

Having that out of the way, sign Kaepernick and Tarvaris to non-guaranteed deals (Boykin is already under contract) and stage a tryout in minicamp and the first part of training camp to see who gets to serve as Russell's understudy. With rosters expanded, we'd need extra camp arms anyway (giving us 4), so it really wouldn't be out of the norm. Tarvaris outdueled Brady Quinn in 2014 and Terrelle Pryor in 2015 if you recall, so this type of precedent has already been set.

Kaepernick would undoubtedly come in as the favorite, but he would have to prove himself and show a little pride in his craft to win over Pete and the fan base. Boykin is the youngest and it would be interesting to see if he could make that big leap between Year 1 and 2. Tarvaris would be behind the 8-ball having missed a season, but he's a proven vet who has handled these type of battles before. He's 33, knows the system well and has a .500 won-lost record in the league, a baseline you strive to get out of your backup.

If Kaepernick were to win the tryout, I think it might sway some Hawks fans sitting on the fence about him due to his social stances his way a bit. They will better be able to see his value for his football abilities and what he brings for the team.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
You're still beating the T-Jack drum? He's broke, 34 and hasn't played since 2015. Not even the Browns will touch him.

I don't want to waste even a free lunch on the dude.

But I'm all for bringing in Kaepernick on a team friendly one year deal to compete with Boykin. Although not sure why that appeals to Kaepernick if he still thinks he's a starter, plenty of teams to go to with a much clearer path to a starting job than here with Russell.

SpokaneHawks

Reaction score
What do you suggest? Setting up some garbage cans from 50 yards? Maybe a relay race? LOL, just having some fun with your idea.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
If there was a competition between the two, it would be over in about a week. TJack had his chance. He served well as a backup but it's time to move on. Kaep > TJack and it's not even close.

OP
OP
Siouxhawk

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
I guess Tarvaris just did turn 34. Good catch, yet that's still not too old for a backup QB in this situation.

And he would obviously have to turn heads. But what's the harm in bringing him in? He was respected by the team and I'm sure they would be curious to see where his game's at too.

Same applies to Boykin after his first offseason.

As for Kaep, I think there would be some intrinsic value to the team and fanbase for making him earn his chops.

OP
OP
Siouxhawk

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
hawkfan68":22p75q4w said:
If there was a competition between the two, it would be over in about a week. TJack had his chance. He served well as a backup but it's time to move on. Kaep > TJack and it's not even close.
Let it play out then. One gets let go first round of cuts. Maybe 2 if it's that obvious, although Boykin could always wind up on the PS.

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
hawkfan68":1moliuc0 said:

I disagree. The competition would last way less than a week. TJack is garbage, always has been. The competition would last about as long as it would take for the team to read their names on a sheet of paper and say "Kaepernick wins."

OP
OP
Siouxhawk

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
XxXdragonXxX":2eyn423c said:
hawkfan68":2eyn423c said:

I disagree. The competition would last way less than a week. TJack is garbage, always has been. The competition would last about as long as it would take for the team to read their names on a sheet of paper and say "Kaepernick wins."
Let it play out then. By the way, his completion percentage and QB rating is just a shade under Kaepernick's, so not sure what information you are looking at?

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":yd87hlg5 said:
XxXdragonXxX":yd87hlg5 said:
hawkfan68":yd87hlg5 said:

Let it play out then. By the way, his completion percentage and QB rating is just a shade under Kaepernick's, so not sure what information you are looking at?

One piece of information is that Kaep has a better interception percentage which means he turns the ball over less. This is one of the factors that PC regards highly. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/pass_int_perc_career.htm. Last season Kaep threw for 16 TDs and just 4 int. That's pretty darn good for a backup QB.

OP
OP
Siouxhawk

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
hawkfan68":l7fhvqtl said:
Siouxhawk":l7fhvqtl said:
XxXdragonXxX":l7fhvqtl said:
hawkfan68":l7fhvqtl said:

One piece of information is that Kaep has a better interception percentage which means he turns the ball over less. This is one of the factors that PC regards highly. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/pass_int_perc_career.htm. Last season Kaep threw for 16 TDs and just 4 int. That's pretty darn good for a backup QB.
Was that due to a more conservative system? I see when he was playing for Harbaugh, he was throwing for 3,000 yards, but was up in double digits in interceptions.

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":1klk36h9 said:
XxXdragonXxX":1klk36h9 said:
hawkfan68":1klk36h9 said:

I would bet it already played out. They have a list of available free agents. Jackson is not being considered, guaranteed. Kaepernick (allegedly) is. Competition over.

Also, youre cherry picking stats that dont reflect their actuall play on the field. Jackson has 39 career TD passes and 35 INTs. Kaepernick has 70 TD passes and 30 INTs. All I see when I picture TJack is the deer in the headlights look on his face whenever he was pressured, he'd just take a sack no matter the situation.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":vtyskezx said:
Was that due to a more conservative system? I see when he was playing for Harbaugh, he was throwing for 3,000 yards, but was up in double digits in interceptions.

TJack didn't even make the list. I looked for his name on the link...nowhere to be found.

Within the system Kaep played in, he didn't turnover the ball much. That is something that PC emphasizes. I think he would do well in the Seahawk system as they are trying to go back to being a run first team.

Here's a link to a comparison of Colin K to Tarvaris J -

http://www.pro-football-reference.c...in+Kaepernick&player_id2=KaepCo00&idx=players

OP
OP
Siouxhawk

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
XxXdragonXxX":1s509onp said:
Siouxhawk":1s509onp said:
XxXdragonXxX":1s509onp said:
hawkfan68":1s509onp said:

I would bet it already played out. They have a list of available free agents. Jackson is not being considered, guaranteed. Kaepernick (allegedly) is. Competition over.

Also, youre cherry picking stats that dont reflect their actuall play on the field. Jackson has 39 career TD passes and 35 INTs. Kaepernick has 70 TD passes and 30 INTs. All I see when I picture TJack is the deer in the headlights look on his face whenever he was pressured, he'd just take a sack no matter the situation.
The list you are looking at just includes players who were on a roster last season. Of course Tarvaris is an available free agent who could be brought in.

Whatever look you remember, Tarvaris did have a .500 record for us as a starter in '11 with a greenhorn line. And I'm not completely advocating for him to get the job, just put him into the mix to push Boykin and Kaep. Pete obviously saw something in T-Jack to retain him as the backup for 3 straight seasons and likely would have brought him in again last year if not for the timing of that legal matter.

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":1fubzhmo said:
XxXdragonXxX":1fubzhmo said:
Siouxhawk":1fubzhmo said:
XxXdragonXxX":1fubzhmo said:

The list you are looking at just includes players who were on a roster last season. Of course Tarvaris is an available free agent who could be brought in.

Whatever look you remember, Tarvaris did have a .500 record for us as a starter in '11 with a greenhorn line. And I'm not completely advocating for him to get the job, just put him into the mix to push Boykin and Kaep. Pete obviously saw something in T-Jack to retain him as the backup for 3 straight seasons and likely would have brought him in again last year if not for the timing of that legal matter.

THEY (The Seahawks, and every other NFL team) have a list of free agents, that includes Jackson and Kaepernick. Jackson is not being considered, Kaepernick is. Competition over.

There I reworded my post so its a little more clear.

OP
OP
Siouxhawk

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":201ubnz5 said:
XxXdragonXxX":201ubnz5 said:
Siouxhawk":201ubnz5 said:
XxXdragonXxX":201ubnz5 said:

THEY (The Seahawks, and every other NFL team) have a list of free agents, that includes Jackson and Kaepernick. Jackson is not being considered, Kaepernick is. Competition over.

There I reworded my post so its a little more clear.
That doesn't even make any sense. There is no list like that. They could bring in Sam the bricklayer if they wanted. A free agent is any person in the world who isn't currently on an NFL contract.

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
So you dont think that every NFL team and their scouting department keeps a list of available free agents? Ok...im done here.

OP
OP
Siouxhawk

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
XxXdragonXxX":3d9dtzr4 said:
So you dont think that every NFL team and their scouting department keeps a list of available free agents? Ok...im done here.
Of course I do. But it certainly wouldn't be for public consumption.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":2gzktxt4 said:

Stats aside, Kaep has been playing the past couple of seasons. TJack hasn't played much and not at all last season. There were no teams interested in his services. Hell the Browns are in a perpetual hunt for QBs and they didn't bat an eye toward him.

As far as the culture factor, yes Tjack has respect of his Seahawk teammates but it seems that Kaep has respect too. Bennett, Avril, Wagner, Wilson, and Baldwin have spoken highly of Kaep and have supported him. So there's that as well.

For a QB 34 may not be old but if you're not that good, then 34 is pretty old especially with your competition being much younger. So that does come into play - age factor.

If they performed evenly, who do you believe the Seahawks would choose....9/10 times they would go with Kaep. Because of what we know the attributes PC likes his QBs to have.

OP
OP
Siouxhawk

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
hawkfan68":98lm3zlp said:
Siouxhawk":98lm3zlp said:

Stats aside, Kaep has been playing the past couple of seasons. TJack hasn't played much and not at all last season. There were no teams interested in his services. Hell the Browns are in a perpetual hunt for QBs and they didn't bat an eye toward him.

As far as the culture factor, yes Tjack has respect of his Seahawk teammates but it seems that Kaep has respect too. Bennett, Avril, Wagner, Wilson, and Baldwin have spoken highly of Kaep and have supported him. So there's that as well.

For a QB 34 may not be old but if you're not that good, then 34 is pretty old especially with your competition being much younger. So that does come into play - age factor.

If they performed evenly, who do you believe the Seahawks would choose....9/10 times they would go with Kaep. Because of what we know the attributes PC likes his QBs to have.
Then let's prove it on the field and in the film room. Make Kaep earn his chops and be deserving of being our backup. If what you say pans out, Tarvaris has a quick reunion with his old boys and then he's gone. But if by chance he reminds Pete why he stayed with him as his backup for 3 straight years, it could make for a longer reunion.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":nkcr13o6 said:
hawkfan68":nkcr13o6 said:
Siouxhawk":nkcr13o6 said:

Then let's prove it on the field and in the film room. Make Kaep earn his chops and be deserving of being our backup. If what you say pans out, Tarvaris has a quick reunion with his old boys and then he's gone. But if by chance he reminds Pete why he stayed with him as his backup for 3 straight years, it could make for a longer reunion.

I don't have a problem with that scenario. But the Seahawks haven't expressed any indication they would be interested in bringing TJack in. Besides, we're not the ones making that decision. You need to reach out to JS/PC and convince them on that.