Another nice scouting breakdown on Ethan Pocic

Seymour

Reaction score
I believe that Pocic is going to be one of 2 or 3 keys to how 2017 season goes myself. I thought that was a good read, and reason for some optimism, but this statement left me wondering what exactly was his angle on this comment?

"Seattle’s OL environment in terms of development is a bit worrisome"

I wonder if this is because of Cable's "musical positions" / "Jack of all trades, master of none" environment we've seen really slow us down the last few seasons?

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
TJ Lang was the #1 free agent priority. They obviously vetted his experience, leadership, versatility, and technique a great fit.

The more I learn of Procic, the more I think he resembles Lang in a lot of ways.

And it make sense, the team obviously spent some time exploring free agent OL, and felt Lang was the one they wanted. So to me its no surprise they'd look for a similar player and similar function in the draft.

The initial backlash on Pocic was that he was a OC and not named Ramcyk, Lamp, or Robinson. Not many knew about this guy.

However, if you asked anyone before the draft if there was a prospect that had:

-Size, length, average athleticism
- Intangibles: leadership, grit, toughness, determination
- Intelligence not only to play multiple positions, but to understand and execute technique.
- more refined skillset than any OL drafted by the Seahawks since maybe Okung.
- Hardened and Battle tested with ample experience against SEC D-Lines, where outside of USC many of the highly recruited interior D-linemen in college reside.
- ZBS ready
- Experience blocking for a big, powerful, physically dominant RB, knowing not only to match that physicality/intensity but the math of knowing what it takes to open enough of a hole or crease.

I doubt anybody would have denied having that type of prospect on the team.

And that's what Procic brings... he isn't the biggest or baddest, the most athletic, or most physically dominant guy in the draft but he's far from a project and has possibly the smallest learning curve from a scheme stand-point and what the Seahawks want from thier linemen to bring to the running game.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":xkc8j4v4 said:
http://insidethepylon.com/nfl/teams-nfl/nfc-west/seattle-seahawks/2017/05/15/under-the-microscope-ethan-pocic/

Seattle’s OL environment in terms of development is a bit worrisome, but due to the high level of technical proficiency in areas that typically present steep learning curves (hand usage, footwork, stance) Pocic has a good chance at excelling sooner rather than later as a starter.

Bingo.

Pocic might not have the upside like some of the freakish strong athletic draft picks like Fant or Ifedi...........but he is what we need right now with this group of O-linemen, dependable, polished and consistent.

From what I've read on him, Pocic also possesses some of the intangibles you want in an O-lineman. Leadership, nasty streak and tough as hell.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Yeah but unfortunately for Pocic, he's got Cable developing him and not the GB Packers. Hopefully, Cable finally can develop someone into a top lineman. A blind squirrel can get a nut from time to time too.

OP
OP
MontanaHawk05

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
hawkfan68":88ddlcyr said:
Yeah but unfortunately for Pocic, he's got Cable developing him and not the GB Packers. Hopefully, Cable finally can develop someone into a top lineman. A blind squirrel can get a nut from time to time too.

Did you read the snippet I quoted? Wondering your take on that.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":uvr5k4kq said:
hawkfan68":uvr5k4kq said:

Did you read the snippet I quoted? Wondering your take on that.

I did that's what spurred my comment regarding Cable. I hope the Seahawks don't play musical chairs with Pocic as they have done with a number of players. But from the article, it seems that Pocic is better prepared due to his versatility if they do since LSU runs a similar system. The article was an excellent read. Thanks for sharing.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I really wish Pocic would be kicked inside, but it seems like they're all about him at tackle so.. fingers crossed.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Seymour":2zoyf3iv said:
I believe that Pocic is going to be one of 2 or 3 keys to how 2017 season goes myself. I thought that was a good read, and reason for some optimism, but this statement left me wondering what exactly was his angle on this comment?

"Seattle’s OL environment in terms of development is a bit worrisome"

I wonder if this is because of Cable's "musical positions" / "Jack of all trades, master of none" environment we've seen really slow us down the last few seasons?
To be honest, even with a lot of repetition, some players can have problems grasping the complexities of certain techniques that are position specific, and may be better suited to playing a different position on the O-Line... Justin Britt is a great example of a player that found a really good fit, after failing at a few others....Cable did the right thing by moving him around to find his niche.
LOL, Some times you be kissing a lot of frogs, and none of them turn out to be your prince, eh?
Ethan Pocic comes with having been trained to play the ZBS, and has been playing it long enough, that it's become second nature, now that's not to say that he won't get schooled by a few Pro Defenders, but he does have his base training to help him take it to the next level.
Besides, IF Britt gets offered a chance at a big payday elsewhere, we have Pocic to plug in at Center.

IrishNW

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3ldmb6cu said:
I really wish Pocic would be kicked inside, but it seems like they're all about him at tackle so.. fingers crossed.

I think they are just trying to improve the RT position. Ifedi and Pocic are really the only two players we have that can play that position (I guess britt can). I think Tom Cable said he wants Ifedi and Pocic to show that they are two of the best lineman on the team and assuming they do that they both will be starting. So my guess is that they just want competition at the weakest position on the line. I think they want Ifedi to be the RT and Pocic to be the RG

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":38cf7nbg said:
MontanaHawk05":38cf7nbg said:
http://insidethepylon.com/nfl/teams-nfl/nfc-west/seattle-seahawks/2017/05/15/under-the-microscope-ethan-pocic/

Seattle’s OL environment in terms of development is a bit worrisome, but due to the high level of technical proficiency in areas that typically present steep learning curves (hand usage, footwork, stance) Pocic has a good chance at excelling sooner rather than later as a starter.

Bingo.

Pocic might not have the upside like some of the freakish strong athletic draft picks like Fant or Ifedi...........but he is what we need right now with this group of O-linemen, dependable, polished and consistent.

From what I've read on him, Pocic also possesses some of the intangibles you want in an O-lineman. Leadership, nasty streak and tough as hell.
So he might be good if our staff doesn't interfere? Yes ... that's comforting. And we can't just "kick" everyone inside. Some one has to block the ends ... or at least be a speed bump.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
I think it makes it a lot easier for any player and coaches if that player has the fundamentals to begin with. Pocic, seems to understand this and can be seen by the way he is always trying to stay squared up with his opponents. It maybe a reason why the coaches want him at tackle, he can or at least understands he needs to square up with the edge rushers.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of rookies starting besides skill positions anyway. Having Pocic as the 6th lineman who could be switched in anywhere if someone underperforms would be really valuable.

In the long run he could be a quality starter at any spot.