Your all time favorite Seahawks "role players" and why?

rjdriver

Reaction score
I've been a fan since 1976 and love me some Easley, Largent, Tez, Walter, Hass, Beast, Sherman etc..
You know, all the pro bowlers, the big name guys who any stalwart fan has really enjoyed watching play at one time during the last 40 years. We've had some good ones.

But what about the "regular joes"? The role players if you will. I was curious who your favorite "other" Seahawks have been and why. It doesn't matter the reason. It could be you met one at a gas station. Maybe you share the same alma mater or love his personality or hustle. Whatever.

I thought it might be entertaining to take a quick stroll down Seahawks history and hopefully see some names I haven't seen in awhile. Plus, I'm a little burnt out on all the Kaep threads. ;)

I'll start-

1. Leon Washington.
I absolutely loved this guy. One of my all time favorite Seahawks. I was seriously bummed when he left. He made every kick off exciting.

2. Norm Johnson.
When I was kid, he was the only real "face" I knew because of that single bar face mask that kickers used to wear. I guess I just identified him with the Seahawks because of this, and as a youngster, I thought he was awesome.

3. Bobby Joe Edmunds.
I loved his name, I thought it was bad A. so I liked him.

4. Mack Strong.
Quintessential Seahawk. Lunchpail guy. I suspect if this thread has any wheels, we'll see his name a lot.

5. Robert Turbin.
I was really starting to lift weights when we drafted him. I loved his combine photo "guns". He is from my alma mater of USU, and I really wanted him to succeed more than he did.

What about you guys?

Seymour

Reaction score
First that comes to mind is Mr 3rd down, Dr. Dan Doornink. :2thumbs:

Rat

Reaction score
Alex Bannister: Was an unbelievable ST gunner until injuries shortened his career

Itula Mili: On a team that seemed to fight amongst themselves to see who could drop the most passes, Mili was a very reliable and underrated option.

Jordan Babineaux: "Big Play Babs" was a small-school guy who came up big at important times. Absolutely dreadful as a starter, but a great backup.

Tracy White: Great special teams guy, reliable tackler, fierce competitor

chris98251

Reaction score
Fredd Young and Rufus Porter were two favorites of mine Early on.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Sam Merriman - a special teams standout
Bobby Engram - his role was to make clutch plays (receiver) and he did it well
Paul Johns - again another ST guy - punt returns

OP
OP
rjdriver

rjdriver

Reaction score
Rat":q5l1sovm said:
Alex Bannister: Was an unbelievable ST gunner until injuries shortened his career

Itula Mili: On a team that seemed to fight amongst themselves to see who could drop the most passes, Mili was a very reliable and underrated option.

Jordan Babineaux: "Big Play Babs" was a small-school guy who came up big at important times. Absolutely dreadful as a starter, but a great backup.

Tracy White: Great special teams guy, reliable tackler, fierce competitor

Oh I remember Bannister. Totally agree.

Speaking of special teams.
We had some amazing special teams players under Rusty Tillman. (Bannister didn't play for Rusty but I was just thinking). What a great special teams coach, many thought he was the best in the league. I think he spent like 15 years as an asst. coach.

OP
OP
rjdriver

rjdriver

Reaction score
I forgot.

My Dad brought me home a David Sims personalized autographed picture when I was about 6 or 7. I have no recollection of him (too young), but he was on my damn wall until I was about 16 years old. I know he led the league in TD's in 1978, so maybe he was a big deal, but anybody whose autograph was on my wall for 10 years has to qualify.

kobebryant

Reaction score
Brandon Mebane is my #1 for sure.

I also feel like in 15 years or so Jermaine Kearse will be held in higher regard than he is now. We'll look back at him as the Hawks Robert Horry, as opposed to the marginal WR that he currently is. The memory vault is going to be very very kind to Kearse.

Joygazm

Reaction score
1) Bobby Engram - Hasselbeck to Engram good for 3 yards and another Seahawks FIRST DOWN.

2) Mack Strong - Broke his Neck playing for the Hawks, one of the most underrated players of his generation.

3) Ricardo Lockette - Maybe the most exciting Special Teams guy I have ever seen. Broke his neck playing for the Hawks.

4) Jerry Rice - The Legend came to Seattle in part to fix DJax and Robinsons drop issue...it got worse...

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
Mack Strong and Julian Peterson were my favorites as a kid. Watching Mack from about the time I was 9 and then Peterson when I was a late teenager, I used to love watching those dudes play on Sunday. Strong was a beast on Madden back in the day too.

Peterson was only here a few years, but I loved the way the dude was built and he was fast as hell. His first couple seasons here he had 9-10 sack years and it was a lot of fun watching him play, even though it was on a pretty bad team at the time.

kobebryant

Reaction score
JGfromtheNW":3d30ffub said:
Mack Strong and Julian Peterson were my favorites as a kid. Watching Mack from about the time I was 9 and then Peterson when I was a late teenager, I used to love watching those dudes play on Sunday. Strong was a beast on Madden back in the day too.

Peterson was only here a few years, but I loved the way the dude was built and he was fast as hell. His first couple seasons here he had 9-10 sack years and it was a lot of fun watching him play, even though it was on a pretty bad team at the time.

Prime Julian Peterson on Pete Carroll's Seahawks would be absolutely wild.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Raheem Brock was pretty awesome for a year or so.

Ryan Hannam was a fantastic in-line run blocker. Never hear his name mentioned anymore.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
Rat":lrg9ghoq said:
*Cough*Cough*Sputter*Sputter*

Damn, that was my morning coffee, all over the place.

We're talking about the guy who had 42 receptions over his first *5* injury-plagued, sitting-on-his-butt years, and then when he *finally* got healthy held out for more money instead of acknowledging the team carried his ass for 5 freaking years? And that his holdout contributed to Holmgren taking Jerramy Stevens instead of Ed Reed in the 2002 draft?

That Itula Mili?

I guess we see him differently. He's on my all-time-failures list for the Seahawks. Imagine if we went into Super Bowl XL with Ed Reed at safety instead of Etric Pruitt.

chris98251

Reaction score
Well he did create our best Trent Dilfer moment when he told him to just catch the ( language can't be used in main forums ) ball on national TV. :)

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
1. Mack Strong - busted his body up for this organization and was rewarded with a ring
2.Joe Jurevicius - wow, the guy just delivered
3. Zach Miller - I feel as if the championship drive started here.

Slick

Reaction score
Joe Jurevicius or "Joe Vicious" as we liked to call him. Big target who caught everything. He played during our Super Bowl year then went to his hometown Browns and staph infections took away his career.