QBs Austin Davis & Kaep to Visit Seahawks Today

Status
Not open for further replies.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Reports are that the Seahawks are working out both Davis and Kaep today.

[urltargetblank]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000810916/article/colin-kaepernick-to-work-out-for-seahawks-today[/urltargetblank]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/867397872383393794[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/867369836422279170[/tweet]

Hyak

Reaction score
Davis has some attributes that fit the offense as well and at the very least would be a hedge against Kaepernick in terms of contract terms.

Rat

Reaction score
I thought Austin Davis showed real promise in that first season with the Rams, and I'm surprised he hasn't at least stuck as a backup somewhere. Slight build, but very accurate.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Glad we're still pursuing backup QB options. Liked Davis coming out. And felt like he had some good moments with the Rams.

Kaep to me is the perfect backup option. A player who can still be extremely dangerous even if he's compromised as a passer, which I'm less than convinced that he is. His record of success (wins and statistical) really stand apart from the typical backup options that we've already seen signed (Glennon/Sanchez/Fitzpatrick/McCown).

Popeyejones

Reaction score
FWIW Schefter reporting the Seahawks are just doing background today, and regardless of what happens they're not expected to make any imminent signings.

Worth saying just so that when Davis or Kaepernick aren't signed in the next few days it's not treated as really meaning anything.

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2r3afatc said:
FWIW Schefter reporting the Seahawks are just doing background today, and regardless of what happens they're not expected to make any imminent signings.

Worth saying just so that when Davis or Kaepernick aren't signed in the next few days it's not treated as really meaning anything.

I wouldn't expect them to rush to sign anyone today. It's not as if there's a line of team's waiting to get their hands on these two. I expect this backup qb issue to not be resolved until a little closer to training camp.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Popeyejones":27n0glk3 said:

But they also risk losing those guys to other teams if they don't sign em. If course, it doesn't appear teams are knocking down their doors.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
My reaction when Kaep optioned out of his contract with SF was essentially "what a mistake".

He was set to receive $14M for 2017, correct? He won't sniff anything close to that as a backup.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":9cgzkujr said:
My reaction when Kaep optioned out of his contract with SF was essentially "what a mistake".

He was set to receive $14M for 2017, correct? He won't sniff anything close to that as a backup.

This is true.

But his future prospects at SF were very limited. And with that deal, he was likely going to be cut regardless since there wasn't much in the way of penalty for the team to go that route.

Kaep is most likely looking for an opportunity to reignite his career. Seattle is generally a pretty great place for players to showcase themselves for deals after their tenure here. Although the QB position probably doesn't provide that unless Wilson goes down for real.

mrt144

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":xip7gdw1 said:
Kaep is most likely looking for an opportunity to reignite his career. Seattle is generally a pretty great place for players to showcase themselves for deals after their tenure here. Although the QB position probably doesn't provide that unless Wilson goes down for real.

I don't care how much it resembles a video game - I would love for Kaep to line up in the backfield as a Read Option threat. Endless reads, endless options.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":28vq7l53 said:
onanygivensunday":28vq7l53 said:

This is true.

But his future prospects at SF were very limited. And with that deal, he was likely going to be cut regardless since there wasn't much in the way of penalty for the team to go that route.

This is why he opted out of his contract, he knew he would have been cut from the team and be playing catch up on the FA market. The 9ers were finished with him and the way his contract was structured made it easy for either party to walk away.

Obviously, the FA market hasn't been kind to him, so it really doesn't matter at this point.

getnasty

Reaction score
mrt144":11u5zhrj said:
Attyla the Hawk":11u5zhrj said:

I don't care how much it resembles a video game - I would love for Kaep to line up in the backfield as a Read Option threat. Endless reads, endless options.

Read option is not effective if theres no threat of passing the ball.

mrt144

Reaction score
getnasty":19b0jodh said:
mrt144":19b0jodh said:
Attyla the Hawk":19b0jodh said:

Read option is not effective if theres no threat of passing the ball.

I would love to see Kaep flip the ball back to Wilson after taking a handoff. Long live zany trick plays.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
Austin Davis is not a bad option, either.

I'm ready to cut and run from Boykin with guys like Kaep and Davis on the market. It's worth the extra cap space to have a guy who can start four or five games for you and keep you afloat at QB with an OL like the one this team has.

Seymour

Reaction score
mrt144":18ec0gl2 said:
Attyla the Hawk":18ec0gl2 said:

If the last 5 years are any indication....there will be zero reads, and zero options, at least when it counts.

Far too much is being made of a guy we hope to never see. I understand why they are looking at Kap, but he would be an insurance policy we hope to never use, nothing more IMO. You don't take your insurance money and go bet it at the race track.

mrt144

Reaction score
Seymour":2yl85op4 said:
mrt144":2yl85op4 said:
Attyla the Hawk":2yl85op4 said:

If the last 5 years are any indication....there will be zero reads, and zero options, at least when it counts.

Far too much is being made of a guy we hope to never see. I understand why they are looking at Kap, but he would be an insurance policy we hope to never use, nothing more IMO. You don't take your insurance money and go bet it at the race track.

You're right, I take my insurance money to the blackjack table.

Seymour

Reaction score
mrt144":h440kfnj said:
Seymour":h440kfnj said:
mrt144":h440kfnj said:
Attyla the Hawk":h440kfnj said:

You're right, I take my insurance money to the blackjack table.

LOL. OK then, "you" was the wrong word, Pete likely won't take that bet is my point.

StoneCold

Reaction score
Seymour":2uhvhk7a said:
LOL. OK then, "you" was the wrong word, Pete likely won't take that bet is my point.

Won't it depend on the cost of that policy and the likely hood it pays off if neccessary?

Seymour

Reaction score
StoneCold":3mbm7knx said:
Seymour":3mbm7knx said:

Won't it depend on the cost of that policy and the likely hood it pays off if neccessary?

No, I do not think so. We have Rawls, Lacey, Procise, Collins, and a few other good prospects to carry the ball. Why hand it to Kap? Most of his yards are open field, light contact. There are better tools in the drawer.

Status
Not open for further replies.