Who is the surprise RB this preseason?

johnnyfever

Reaction score
I am not religious on tracking every player on the offseason, so some of these might be obsolete, and maybe I missed a few. The ones I know about are:
Lacy
Rawls
Prosise
Collins
Pope
Carson

Who did I miss, is Pope still here etc

Point being, who kills it in preseason.

- Collins, I was pretty down on Collins for the majority of the year, but he flashed a few times late and seems durable.

-Rawls, who knows. Looked like a totally different back coming off injury, and now there are definitely durability questions.

-Prosise, loved his athletisism and the tools he brings, but seems like he is made of glass.

-Lacy, Excited about him. If he keeps in shape the guy could be our wrecking ball.

-Pope, liked his preseason work, was excited about him, but again big durability issues. I like having a little back like him though.

-Carson-No idea, haven't looked him up at all.

I'm thinking Lacy tears it up, and gets us excited. Both prosise and Rawls do well, as expected, but as the concerns with them is the ability to escape injury, the preseason isn't the best judgement for their concerns.

Collins has a 50/50 chance to impress if he has worked this offseason. He has the potential to be a big surprise, but I don't think anyone is holding their breath. Pope (if here) could bust out some runs, and I really like his build as he is tough to grab and quick. His attitude is great as well, very hungry. Indifferent on Carson as he is a complete unknown to me.

What do all you Guru's think?

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
The let-the-world-burn side of me tells me that Lacy loses the job to Rawls by October and winds up off the team, then Rawls gets injured immediately afterward and we end up with a weird, mediocre mishmash of Collins and Carson for the rest of the season.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
Considering Lacey, Rawls and Prosise are already known commodities (for the most part) and will likely see a very limited number of snaps in the preseason, it's really only up to Collins, Pope and Carson to make big impressions.

I love the physicality and athleticism that Carson brings, as well as probably having a chip on his shoulder considering his college career. I'm really excited to see how Collins runs after making a little noise late last season and doing well with some meaningful carries. It seemed like he thinned out and become more explosive over the stretch of the season.

Honestly my biggest surprise would be Carson making the team with how much young talent we have in the backfield now. He's going to have to prove himself to be at least as able if not better than Collins/Pope who have had a year on him to learn and work on their NFL fitness.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I think the surprise RB will either be Collins or Carson. I don't think they will play Lacy or Rawls much in the preseason games, they already know what they can bring. Letting the other guys battle it out will be the key. Algie Brown might surprise for the FB spot.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
The one that maybe gets traded, possibly Collins or or Rawls.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
It's going to be tough for Pope to surprise this year. How do you top making the Hall of Fame after your first preseason?

Ruminator

Reaction score
We should almost stash two RBs on the practice squad to start the season. Pete wants to get back to running again in a big way. We have so many truly intriguing possibilities. And we may find ourselves very glad to have two on the PS if one or more on the opening 53 have a setback at some point. But I don't know, that's a gamble. Wouldn't surprise me if it happens, though, what with the way we've brought in so many RBs in the last two years.

OP
OP
johnnyfever

johnnyfever

Reaction score
With the prosise/rawls injury history, we HAVE to have two viable PS guys. We could go from 4 backs to 1 or 2 real fast, as we saw last year.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Gonna go With Carson. He's a hell of an athlete, responds to challenges, doesn't fumble, and runs with the right attitude. The question is just learning the offense.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1fw28qxs said:
The let-the-world-burn side of me tells me that Lacy loses the job to Rawls by October and winds up off the team, then Rawls gets injured immediately afterward and we end up with a weird, mediocre mishmash of Collins and Carson for the rest of the season.

Aren't you the life of the party ;)

I could go with Collins. Second year leap and all.

ACFan

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":1xkyn82s said:

well, that's a strong point to emphasize.

RBs who rely on instincts and vision really need to know the offense before they can excel.

So very true with Collins, and that grasp of the offense clearly happened towards the end of last season. I expect big things from AC this year.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
ACFan":qtnlqofl said:
Attyla the Hawk":qtnlqofl said:

RBs who rely on instincts and vision really need to know the offense before they can excel.

So very true with Collins, and that grasp of the offense clearly happened towards the end of last season. I expect big things from AC this year.

Part of me kinda hopes Collins gets cut and then catches on with another team a la Spencer Ware - just so you go away. I get really irritated by people who only follow a player here, rather than being invested in the team.

ACFan

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":10rd967d said:
Part of me kinda hopes Collins gets cut and then catches on with another team a la Spencer Ware - just so you go away..

I doubt that's going to happen.

MontanaHawk05":10rd967d said:
I get really irritated by people who only follow a player here, rather than being invested in the team.

maybe you get irritated too easily.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Usually does not translate to being any good reg season...most of the scrubs like pope play against the other teams scrubs...put them vs the top Def and they are garbage. Hate pre season hype on players that don't even make the 53

vin.couve12

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":24syg57o said:
ACFan":24syg57o said:
Attyla the Hawk":24syg57o said:

Part of me kinda hopes Collins gets cut and then catches on with another team a la Spencer Ware - just so you go away. I get really irritated by people who only follow a player here, rather than being invested in the team.
Collins will get cut, but won't get claimed by anyone. He'll end up on the PS.