Nice pic of Fant

northseahawk

Reaction score
I don't know if it's wise to be playing competitive bball at this time. Risking injury

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Gotta give him his due. Dude has WORKED. Loving the attitude. Let's hope the results follow.

Chapow

Reaction score
northseahawk":23gymlwm said:
I don't know if it's wise to be playing competitive bball at this time. Risking injury

What makes you think he's playing competitive bball?

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
The guy is a physical specimen, thats for sure. Really rooting for the guy to take the next step. :2thumbs:

ivotuk

Reaction score
Good Lord...320# Britt had him and Ifedi working almost every day this summer, putting on muscle, and learning their craft.

As soon as Pocic was drafted, Justin got his number and called him. "Come on down and work out with us." I'm pretty sure that when Ethan got there it was "Oh shit, these guys are working!"

Steve2222

Reaction score
You'd think the OL would be outworking everyone on the teams as they've been the punchline of this team for years. It's got to feel terrible knowing you're a huge crutch to a championship caliber team.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Now he needs to be in a pen chasing chickens.. ole Rocky drill.. squared up

toffee

Reaction score
let's hope Fant's extra bulk won't change his quickness and form too much. Pete and Cable seems to be confident about Fant, they were mainly looking to sign guards this off season, Lang was their top target and Pete praised Joeckel for his guard plays.

I am a Fant fan boy, so I can wait to see him kick ass next season.

Ruminator

Reaction score
northseahawk":2tcog9cj said:

Oh gosh, we need to start putting clauses in all these player contracts that prohibit stuff like washing high-rise windows, working in coal mines, and eating sushi! Cause if we don't, I'm sure they're all out there doing it! Risking injury!

hawk45

Reaction score
Been burned too many times to let any optimism take root over the OL. Stories of off-season leadership such as Britt has been showing are a dime a dozen similar to all the guys who have "the best camps they have ever had."

That said, Britt is the one success at OL that moves the dial for me. Sweezy was just so inconsistent in pass pro and Carpenter the reach pick managed to eek out maybe one decent season's worth of games his years here, but Britt seems to be able to hold his ground in the middle to my great surprise. Cable still has yet to identify a single player in the draft who can play tackle, and it isn't like we've had a stream of guards that were ready to play decent in less than 3 years, but center is a valuable, valuable position on the team as we've seen when we have had good ones like Mawae and Unger, and we've seen when we've had "meh" ones like Chris Spencer.

IMO if Britt can put together a second year of better-than-solid center play he is a must-re-sign. I would gladly sacrifice offensive firepower of a Jimmy Graham type (because as we've seen all the skill players in the world are useless without offensive line) if that were necessary. In my opinion we must have at least 2 pro-bowl caliber players to anchor the line, and pay them as such. That was what we had when Okung and Unger were around and the line was "good enough" (it will never be great at pass pro that's just not who we are as a run-first play action team).

It would have been cheaper to extend Britt this off-season but they do have to make sure last year wasn't a fluke and there's a cost to see that card turned over. Just the way things are.

Fant isn't a success story to me until his play resembles something other than awful. I'd love for it to happen but there's just too much history with Cable's athletic wonder player projects - and bad decisions shuffling players - for me to be anything but stone-faced on the edge positions going into a season.

GreenHawk

Reaction score
Another nice pic of Fant. I hope he takes full advantage of this.

DBL1r LVwAAyXeP

Seymour

Reaction score
One thing for sure on Fant at this point, he has already defied the odds to make it from the BB court to starting L tackle as is. If he happens to take a step forward and hold down the L side with considerable progress from where he started, there would be no bigger boost to our Oline than that IMO.
That said, I think ideally they want him to sit and progress the easy way, by watching and practicing.

Jville

Reaction score
“When you’re a rookie, you’re just trying to keep your head above water,” Huard said. “You’re just trying to fit in, you’re just trying to walk that line where you can get a rep and look like you know what you’re doing. And then all of a sudden, Year 2 comes around and you look at the young guys and you realize, man, I have made a ton of strides.”

Huard: Expect big jump from George Fant, second-year Seahawks >>> [urltargetblank]http://sports.mynorthwest.com/287196/huard-expect-big-jump-from-george-fant-second-year-seahawks/[/urltargetblank]

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Maybe Fant really emerges this season. He appears to be working hard.

If our D stays healthy, as does RW behind a more competent line, and IF we get some consistent running, the Seahawks can go toe to toe with anyone.

Lose one of the above though, and we become the same hot n cold version of the last few seasons.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
semiahmoo":2937zv42 said:
Lose one of the above though, and we become the same hot n cold version of the last few seasons.

I'll say it again, if I told you at the beginning of the season:

1. Wilson would suffer a high ankle sprain in the first game of the year, and an MCL tear in the third game

AND

2. Michael Bennett would injure his knee and be out for 5 games

AND

3. Earl Thomas would break his leg in the 11th game, ending his season

That despite these injuries, we'd still win the division and were in command of the race for the 2nd seed in the conference heading into week 16. I think we'd have taken that to the bank. Nobody can convince me that we don't win those final two games if Earl doesn't go down. Losing him cost us the #2 seed. And with the investment at S in this draft, I think the team tips it's hand that they concede this.

Simply put, the three most impactful players on this team all were injured for extended time. No team survives that. Most teams completely collapse and end up drafting in the top 10.

We didn't just lose ONE of the above. We lost ALL of the above. And still managed to get to the divisional round. I don't get the sense that we as fans really appreciated just how rare of a performance last season was given the circumstances.

Injuries are pretty flukey. And although our core is another year older. They are still in their prime and still shouldn't be reasonably expected to break down year to year. It is possible that we lose one of the above. But I don't think just losing one of the above dooms this club at all.

We should feel confident that we won't see a repeat of the injury woes of last year. We'll still get injuries. That's part of the game. But we shouldn't lose our three most important players again. I'm also bullish on our second year guys. Not because they lit up the league last year. But we kept 9 rookies on the active roster. We might keep 9 more this year. The investment in youth last year should begin to be strongly felt this season.