"Anaheim" Seahawks (ugh)

Aussie Seahawk

Reaction score
Hypothetical - If Behring had moved the Seahawks to Anaheim in 1996, would you have transferred your allegiance to the new location? Or would you have adopted another NFL team, or maybe refused to barrack for ANYONE else?

I've no interest in basketball, but I've noticed there is little love for Oklahoma City Thunder here, from the transplanted Sonics.

I would NOT have "changed geography" [1], and I kinda assume most folks here would not have, either, especially if they lived locally... I'd like to read some opinions here! I was outraged when I read about the proposed move, at the time, and posted my fury, totally off-topic, of course, to a Pink Floyd email list. That was how I met my dear friends who I stayed with for 3 weeks in Poulsbo, WA, later that year. I didn't even get told off by the list owner for the post! :D

Met him on same trip, in San Francisco, and he toured me through the University of California campus, and Berkeley in general. Awesome place.

The horrible irony is that, at the time, I may have chosen the damned Patriots or Steelers, both of which I now of course hate with a passion.

[1] Maybe weird, coming from half a planet away. But I was SO touched by Cortez Kennedy's declaration that his contract was with the SEATTLE Seahawks, and he wouldn't be going. My allegiance, not that anyone would care, was identical.

dopeboy206

Reaction score
I only root for Seattle teams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RiverDog

Reaction score
It wasn't Anaheim that Behring was trying to move the team to. It was Pasadena. They were to play in the Rose Bowl. It was ironic as one of the justifications for moving the team was that he was afraid that the Kingdome was going to collapse during an earthquake, so he proposed to move the team into an 80+ year old stadium located in the most geologically active area of the country.

In retrospect, Behring's attempt to move the team was a blessing in disguise, as it was only in the days after the league told Behring to get his big butt back up to Seattle that he decided to sell to Paul Allen, who only came forward after Governor Locke got involved and asked him to step up and buy the team.

To answer the OP, I would have dumped the Seahawks just like I dumped the Sonics. In the mid 90's the team was horrible. Behring ran it into the ground. No way would I have maintained my allegiance, and the NFL probably would have lost me as a fan altogether if we didn't have a franchise.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Maybe it's because I just woke up, but that title alarmed me for a sec.

Seymour

Reaction score
They become "the owners team" just like the Sonics and most will despise them from that day forward.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I don't even watch the NBA anymore since the Sonics moved.

That's how much that pissed me off. And I loved basketball.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Hawks46":2bzngatx said:
I don't even watch the NBA anymore since the Sonics moved.

That's how much that pissed me off. And I loved basketball.

The NBA had already lost about 80% of me prior to the Sonics moving, which took care of the remaining 20%. I haven't watched an entire NBA game from start to finish since Michael Jordan and the Bulls beat Utah in the finals. I would have gone through a similar transformation had the Seahawks moved to SoCal.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
I don't live in the Pacific Northwest anymore(moved to Michigan in 1984) but the Seahawks belong in Seattle, so if they had moved-they would be dead to me and I would probably be a Lions fan now. Thank you Paul Allen. :laugh:

JSeahawks

Reaction score
They'd still be my team. I fell in love with the Seahawks originally because of the cool bird on their helmet. And then because of Steve Largent, Kenny Easley, Curt Warner, etc, etc. Not because of the owner or the city they played in.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
I remember a rumor that they were going to be renamed The Los Angeles Ravens (this was before Cleveland moved it's franchise to Baltimore, remember).

I probably would have kept rooting for them just because I would have to had started from scratch with any other team anyway. Might as well root for the same players I had been.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I love the NFL, so I'd still be a football fan.........but I'd never root for the Hawks again. In fact, it'd be like the Thunder, I'd actively root against them. I'm a vindictive a-hole like that.

I'm also a huge Husky fan, so I probably would have focused my time and energy more towards Husky football.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Imagine if that happened and all we had for sports today were The Mariners...

nrayorr

Reaction score
I'm a local guy, so if the Hawks moved away, so would my allegiance to them. I was an Oakland Raiders fan before the Seahawks came to be, so I guess I would go back to the Raiders if a move were to happen. My wife posed a question to me that was more thought provoking and that was if Portland were to ever get a professional football team would I switch to them or stay with Seattle. Now that was a hard one and after much thought and consideration I would have to switch to the team in Portland since I was born and raised there, but it was a very close decision for me since I have 41 years of fandom for Seattle.

TriCHawk

Reaction score
If the Hawks moved now or in the future, I'd no longer be a fan of the team, unless they moved to Portland or Boise or something. Not sure if I'd find another team to root for, or stop watching NFL altogether. I'd probably find something better to do with my Sundays (Mondays & Thursdays). Back then, when it almost happened though... the Hawks were an AFC team, and I also liked the 49ers for the NFC. Seahawks have always been my #1, but I would probably have became a 9ers fan.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Unlike the Sonics where the NBA was dead to me the day they left, I would still watch the NFL as it's my favorite and only sport I watch and love, but my loyalties would have died when the Seahawks left Seattle. I would have prayed that a relocation or expansion team would come to Seattle and be the Seahawks again with the name, logo and colors intact, and my passion would continue.