Richard Sherman really is dominant at his position

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Came across this @ another Seahawks forum. Wasn't aware Sherm was still #1 at his spot.
Impressive. He doesn't have great speed - but a great mind which allows him to anticipate better than most. He's also rangy-physical which he uses to great effect.

Hope him and the Hawks are cool w/each other this season. He likely only has a few left in the tank. Go out on top Sherm.
Cyjomzn96p0z

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Perfect fit of scheme and player, and easily absolutely always in the conversation for best CB in the NFL until further notice.

That said, as for these actual ratings I do think a stat like QB rating versus an individual player gets pretty wonky against zone heavy pass defenses, and ON TOP OF BEING REALLY GOOD PLAYERS I don't think it's by chance that the top three guys in this table (Sherman, Norman, and Harris) have all been playing in some of the most zone-heavy schemes in the NFL.

Peters is benefiting from his INT totals I'd guess, and in Indy Davis is primarily pattern matching, which is a straight up nightmare to try to grade this way.

To be clear though, I don't think ANY of this takes away from Sherman's ability as a player -- I just think there's some patterns we can draw out from the five guys who are showing up here.

mistaowen

Reaction score
Very impressive. Last season had to hurt him a little as well with a few of those blown coverage TD's inflating his stats. In a league that wants QBs and WRs to be the superstars, his resume is stellar.

Jville

Reaction score
semiahmoo":bvbp8mb0 said:
Came across this @ another Seahawks forum. Wasn't aware Sherm was still #1 at his spot.
Impressive. He doesn't have great speed - but a great mind which allows him to anticipate better than most. He's also rangy-physical which he uses to great effect.

Hope him and the Hawks are cool w/each other this season. He likely only has a few left in the tank. Go out on top Sherm.
Cyjomzn96p0z

That's amazing given that most of his snaps are on the quarterbacks throwing side.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Jville":3mapuypx said:
That's amazing given that most of his snaps are on the quarterbacks throwing side.

FWIW Sherman, Norman, and Peters (a little less than the other two, but still predominantly) all almost exclusively play LCB.

Harris is in the slot and Davis is almost exclusively RCB.

It was about offensive tackles and defensive ends, but on MMQB this morning Benoit had a really nice and informative piece on the left and right side and how thinking on it has changed over time: http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/05/31/nfl- ... nsive-ends

:2thumbs:

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Isn't Sherman also one of the best, if not THE best against the run? Solid tackling for CB. There is so much to Sherman that many don't understand(including STs play).

253hawk

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":2wbvgood said:
Isn't Sherman also one of the best, if not THE best against the run? Solid tackling for CB. There is so much to Sherman that many don't understand(including STs play).

That's pretty impressive considering Wagner led the league by far in total tackles. Goes to show our corners don't just sit around and watch the pile.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/PFF/status/864892291252617216[/tweet]

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Unlike many here; I love his passion so his sideline tantrums do not bother me....at all.
You know what they say about opinions....

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
253hawk":1g1p52b7 said:
Seahwkgal":1g1p52b7 said:

That's pretty impressive considering Wagner led the league by far in total tackles. Goes to show our corners don't just sit around and watch the pile.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/PFF/status/864892291252617216[/tweet]
WOW!
:2thumbs: :irishdrinkers:

OP
OP
S

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":1rhckq73 said:

Great point. He isn't afraid to go at a runner vs many others @ his position who kind of pile on at the end.

cymatica

Reaction score
semiahmoo":jeixh5cr said:
Seahwkgal":jeixh5cr said:

Great point. He isn't afraid to go at a runner vs many others @ his position who kind of pile on at the end.

Still remember the NFCCG against GB where he made the one-handed 3rd down tackle, right after he injured his shoulder.

Jville

Reaction score
Popeyejones":29r32eux said:
Jville":29r32eux said:

FWIW Sherman, Norman, and Peters (a little less than the other two, but still predominantly) all almost exclusively play LCB.

Harris is in the slot and Davis is almost exclusively RCB.

It was about offensive tackles and defensive ends, but on MMQB this morning Benoit had a really nice and informative piece on the left and right side and how thinking on it has changed over time: http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/05/31/nfl- ... nsive-ends

:2thumbs:

Yes, the referenced SI article is off topic. But, I'll indulge long enough to point out that Seahawk fans are cognizant of the great Jacob Green as Seattle's dominant left side pass rusher of the 80s. Green was the best end of his time. Emphasis on rushing the Quarterbacks throwing/sight side is a priority Seahawk fans have been conscious of for a number of decades now.

Back on topic ..... Gotta love Richard Sherman's game. He is the league's dominant left corner. :2thumbs:

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":18uigbj5 said:
Unlike many here; I love his passion so his sideline tantrums do not bother me....at all.
You know what they say about opinions....
Apparently they can make you un-tradable?

raisethe3

Reaction score
What I love about our corners, they don't shy away from contacts. Like most corners here in the league, they rather tackle measly or just abruptly push players out of bounds.

OP
OP
S

semiahmoo

Reaction score
raisethe3":2bk1ygjs said:
What I love about our corners, they don't shy away from contacts. Like most corners here in the league, they rather tackle measly or just abruptly push players out of bounds.

Agreed.

I have always believed our D was the reason for our lone Super Bowl win w/Beast a close second.

Beast would tire out opposing defenses and our D would tire out opposing offenses.

Was a great 1-2 punch.

D has not been as dominant and no Beast has left the Seahawks as a good team but not a great one IMO.

Will be interesting/fun to see if that might change this season and we become a great team again.

NINEster

Reaction score
Josh Norman with nearly equal rating allowed to Sherman with less powerful supporting cast shows how dominant he really is.

pmedic920

Reaction score
NINEster":36lb7wpv said:
Josh Norman with nearly equal rating allowed to Sherman with less powerful supporting cast shows how dominant he really is.

Because I'm a Homer.
I don't like this statement but there is (imo) truth to it.
Imagine both guys in the same back field.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
So, was Norman also one of the five CBs that recorded 10+ run stops last season? I don't have the list but know that 3 were Seahawks, including Sherman.

253hawk

Reaction score
You'll have to throw some money at Cris Collinsworth for a PFF subscription to find out the other two.

RussB

Reaction score
NINEster":2g4u10zn said:
i agree i cant stand when ppl call norman overrated