Warren Moon: Seahawks still have a Super Bowl XLIX hangover

Hyak

Reaction score
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ahawks-still-have-a-super-bowl-xlix-hangover/

We know it's out there. Interesting to see Warren, who is close to the team, with these comments:

“They are still having a hangover from two years ago, if you can believe it or not, about losing that Super Bowl in the last minute with the interception on the one-yard line,” Moon recently told Brian Webber and Kordell Stewart of NFL No Huddle on TuneIn. “And with a lot of guys, it just kind of rubbed them the wrong way and they just haven’t gotten over it. This team will not be able to move on and really do what they want to do which is win another Super Bowl unless they can somehow put that behind them. There are certain guys on the team that just haven’t been able to do that and until they are able to do that they are going to continue to keep having a very good football team but a team that is going to probably come up short of their goals because of not being able to let go of the past and letting those things become a hindrance to their success.”

“I think you just can’t have these negative things in the back of your mind,” Moon said. “You have to be focused and be all in on what’s going on in front of you and not worrying about what’s behind you because those just hinder your teams success. It can become a huge distraction. It can become something that separates your football team and you don’t need that when your trying to go against some of the best football teams in the league and trying to unseat them as either NFC champions or Super Bowl champions. You definitely have to make sure everybody’s minds are clear and focused on what the goal is at hand and you have to leave everything that has happened in the past.”

Obviously, it's a huge challenge. Hopefully, the circus during 2016 forces the guys to finally move on and focus on the present instead of the past.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
I think the media and fan base need to let it go as well(if not more that the supposed players). I expect BIG things this season, I really do. GoHawks!!

OP
OP
Hyak

Hyak

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":gnkg0gxu said:
I think the media and fan base need to let it go as well(if not more that the supposed players). I expect BIG things this season, I really do. GoHawks!!

While I agree that it probably doesn't help with the media and fans constantly wallowing in it whenever something goes bad, my expectation is that the professionals would have the intestinal fortitude to move on like every other damn team.

My hope is that 2016 taught the guys that lesson and I think it may have. That said, the impending turnover of core players from the defense is going to fix it in the next couple of years anyhow.

Seymour

Reaction score
I trust Warren Moon as much as anyone. He is not just singling out Sherm either when he say "guys".

They have to find a way to move on past this BS. Those players still haunted by this are simply living in the problem, and not the solution and I believe as Moon does that moving past this is an absolute requirement to winning it all again.

Edit...just noticed I read a similar article and not the one posted....

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/w...g-hangover-after-super-bowl-loss-to-patriots/

sdog1981

Reaction score
That was a life changing event, for anyone to think that players would just shrug their shoulders and walk it off is a little too optimistic.

Everyone's story changed after that play:

Russell Wilson went from youngest two-time Superbowl champion----> He is too short and can't throw the ball in the RedZone.

Bevell went from next hot shot OC--------> Offensive doofus with a dead-end career.

Pete went from the only coach to win two NCAA titles and two Superbowls--------> Players coach with discipline problems.

2012-2014 Seahawks brash young league changers-----------> Loudmouth one hit wonders.

Patriots bunch of cheater who never won a Superbowl after Spygate-------> Best team of all time

OP
OP
Hyak

Hyak

Reaction score
This will be the narrative until the mindset changes. As much respect as I have for many of the star players, it's amazing to me that this is still an issue in 2017. At this point, it's on any of them who cannot move on/forward.

OP
OP
Hyak

Hyak

Reaction score
sdog1981":1m5fn30u said:
That was a life changing event, for anyone to think that players would just shrug their shoulders and walk it off is a little too optimistic.

Everyone's story changed after that play:

Russell Wilson went from youngest two-time Superbowl champion----> He is too short and can't throw the ball in the RedZone.

Bevell went from next hot shot OC--------> Offensive doofus with a dead-end career.

Pete went from the only coach to win two NCAA titles and two Superbowls--------> Players coach with discipline problems.

2012-2014 Seahawks brash young league changers-----------> Loudmouth one hit wonders.

Patriots bunch of cheater who never won a Superbowl after Spygate-------> Best team of all time

No one is saying they should have just shrugged it off but allowing it to torpedo any additional chances to win it all is just stupid.

Each year is a new opportunity. If they would have won that game, would we have had any lesser expectations for 2015 and 2016?

It was a brutal way to lose, no doubt, but come on.

OP
OP
Hyak

Hyak

Reaction score
The irony in all of this is that if the Seahawks do win another SB with this core group, they undoubtedly will get tons of praise/credit for almost winning a 3rd one and solidifying the group as an all-time great team. The narrative will transform from how they blew that game to how they almost won it despite all of their injuries in that game.

The failure for the core to see that is puzzling given how cerebral they seem to be. My sincere hope is that these guys feed off the sense of urgency to dominate and win another SB.

Wallowing in the past and playing the blame game won't do it.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":1btpk7hg said:

The media and fans would stop talking and writing about it if the players would stop with the nonsense.

If you're the team and players and want the media and fans to stop talking about the SB hangover?...........shut up, behave yourself and go play football.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
good points for sure
Hanging on to it doesn't change the past. Shut up, play ball and go win another title.

Seymour

Reaction score
When you point your finger at someone else, there are 3 more pointing back at you.

OP
OP
Hyak

Hyak

Reaction score
Somewhat related to mindset and teamwork, I watched the NFLN America's Game Story on the 2013 Seahawks that ironically featured Pete, Wilson, and Sherman. One of the takeaways was in how motivated the team was coming off the tough heartbreaking loss to the Falcons in the 2012 playoffs. Another was in how the units would support each other in tough spots.

After the 2014 loss, which a similar albeit more brutal tough loss to end the year, the resiliency to use it as motivation was not there in 2015 or 2016. Instead, we see more ME instead of WE and finger pointing.

To me, Pete and John own this as a result of one thing that set all of this in motion and it's not the *mod edit* play call at the end of the SB. It was the coddling of Marshawn when he started bitching about the play calls (through his mother and agent) and openly refusing to participate in things like the rest of the team as well as being in the middle of the rift against Wilson in the locker room. Given his stature on the team, it helped set that precedent to question coaches and motives. Play call aside, he started the whole thinking that it was done in part to make Wilson the hero instead of him, which is completely asinine but still resonates today IMO.

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure they can be bitter about the loss and still be effective at their jobs. As much as I respect Warren, I think this is being a bit blown out of proportion when he says they can't win a Superbowl. I think the chip on their shoulders over being doubted probably outweighs this. Those stories from Wickersham we're over a course of a couple of years. The players say it isn't an issue, so I'm going to hope they are right. Just my opinion though, no facts really to back it up. I think if they can stay healthy, this is going to be one hell of a year. I can't wait. Go Hawks!

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Jimjones0384":dpilqy07 said:
I'm pretty sure they can be bitter about the loss and still be effective at their jobs. As much as I respect Warren, I think this is being a bit blown out of proportion when he says they can't win a Superbowl. I think the chip on their shoulders over being doubted probably outweighs this. Those stories from Wickersham we're over a course of a couple of years. The players say it isn't an issue, so I'm going to hope they are right. Just my opinion though, no facts really to back it up. I think if they can stay healthy, this is going to be one hell of a year. I can't wait. Go Hawks!

I said this last year.

I thought that one more year removed from that SB loss + the LOB being a full year healthy meant another strong run.

Obviously Russell getting hurt was the biggie, and Earl. So no reason to think we can't make a run, BUT I am worried that all this nonsense is not behind us.

Guess we find out what kind of leadership and team character these guys are made of in 2017. Because if we whimper out of the playoffs again, then IMO there's going to be some fo serious turnover next off season.

BostonBlackie

Reaction score
Maybe this isn't a multi SB victory team/organization as it's put together. One and done is historically the norm in the NFL. How many teams have two or more SB wins during, say, a 4 or 5 year run?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Hawks went to the Super Bowl 3 times in 10 seasons. That's pretty damn good these days, especially w/free agency etc.