What to expect from Seahawks rookies in 2017

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
http://www.fieldgulls.com/2017/6/1/1571 ... as-rookies

Good article.

I've said that this draft was our best since 2012 and I'm sticking to that. McDowell and Pocic should be day-one starters (though I don't think this author has been paying attention - if Pocic competes at tackle, it'll be left tackle). Shaquill Griffin could very well start. Thompson, Hill, and Darboh won't, and that's fine - they'll make a dent on special teams, and that is HUUUGE in regards to getting this team back to the Super Bowl. Huge.

So, very good. Veerrrryy good. Get excited.

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":gol8j9mc said:
http://www.fieldgulls.com/2017/6/1/15711042/seahawks-2017-draft-class-what-to-expect-from-each-of-them-as-rookies

Good article.

I've said that this draft was our best since 2013 and I'm sticking to that. McDowell and Pocic should be day-one starters (though I don't think this author has been paying attention - if Pocic competes at tackle, it'll be left tackle). Shaquill Griffin could very well start. Thompson, Hill, and Darboh won't, and that's fine - they'll make a dent on special teams, and that is HUUUGE in regards to getting this team back to the Super Bowl. Huge.

Chris Carson is damn intriguing to me. He reminds me of Kam, if he was a couple inches shorter and a running back, but similar build. He kinda hits like Kam as well. And Pocic will probably compete at every position other than center, Imo. They have a lot of potential combos, and they will do their due diligence to ensure they get the best 5 guys out there.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Honestly the last three classes have been pretty decent.

2015's class is kind of lean. But Clark and Lockett are likely to be players we resign to 2nd deals. And Rawls is part of that class as a UDFA. Those three (and Glowinski) make that a very solid class.

2016's class was mostly a role player/depth class. But with 9 players making the squad -- that's a success. If Fant becomes a left tackle worth resigning, he makes the class entirely on his own.

This class has the potential to be a distant second to the 2012 class (I assume this is the class you meant to refer to). But looks like it could be a good mix of the 2015 class (high value talent) and 2016 class (good quality depth/role players). What's missing from this class is exciting UDFA gems. They could still surprise. But it doesn't look good at this point -- a stark contrast to the outlook in the last two years.

Seymour

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":3tqo0xd4 said:
Honestly the last three classes have been pretty decent.

2015's class is kind of lean. But Clark and Lockett are likely to be players we resign to 2nd deals. And Rawls is part of that class as a UDFA. Those three (and Glowinski) make that a very solid class.

2016's class was mostly a role player/depth class. But with 9 players making the squad -- that's a success. If Fant becomes a left tackle worth resigning, he makes the class entirely on his own.

This class has the potential to be a distant second to the 2012 class (I assume this is the class you meant to refer to). But looks like it could be a good mix of the 2015 class (high value talent) and 2016 class (good quality depth/role players). What's missing from this class is exciting UDFA gems. They could still surprise. But it doesn't look good at this point -- a stark contrast to the outlook in the last two years.

If that ends up being true (don't know this yet), the 11 picks offset that since one of those gems may already have been drafted. :2thumbs:

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Jimjones0384":me8uq3qr said:
MontanaHawk05":me8uq3qr said:
http://www.fieldgulls.com/2017/6/1/15711042/seahawks-2017-draft-class-what-to-expect-from-each-of-them-as-rookies

Good article.

I've said that this draft was our best since 2013 and I'm sticking to that. McDowell and Pocic should be day-one starters (though I don't think this author has been paying attention - if Pocic competes at tackle, it'll be left tackle). Shaquill Griffin could very well start. Thompson, Hill, and Darboh won't, and that's fine - they'll make a dent on special teams, and that is HUUUGE in regards to getting this team back to the Super Bowl. Huge.

Chris Carson is damn intriguing to me. He reminds me of Kam, if he was a couple inches shorter and a running back, but similar build. He kinda hits like Kam as well. And Pocic will probably compete at every position other than center, Imo. They have a lot of potential combos, and they will do their due diligence to ensure they get the best 5 guys out there.
Yep, I too might be pissin' in the wind, but the best that the Field gulls article could come up with was an also ran on Carson???..The guy is a ground pounding RB, and all his FREAK measurables bear that out.
If Chris Carson can pick up on the Seahawks RB scheme of things, he will on the 53, and Collins will be watching from the sidelines.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
scutterhawk":1v4tla9x said:
Jimjones0384":1v4tla9x said:
MontanaHawk05":1v4tla9x said:

Good article.

Yep, I too might be pissin' in the wind, but the best that the Field gulls article could come up with was an also ran on Carson???..The guy is a ground pounding RB, and all his FREAK measurables bear that out.
If Chris Carson can pick up on the Seahawks RB scheme of things, he will on the 53, and Collins will be watching from the sidelines.
:2thumbs:
The Slaytics report I assume? We got the #2 RB and #1 FB(undrafted FA). The other postitions we did fantastic as well. I am very excited about this group and cannot wait to see how they develop, especially Carson. God!! Pre-season cannot get here soon enough. GoHawks!!

mistaowen

Reaction score
Nice read, thanks!

I agree about Shaq. He has the perfect swagger, mindset, and physical abilities to thrive in a Pete Carroll secondary, just needs correct coaching. A lot of his flaws are fixable and the 'scheme' or whatever they wanted to call it he ran at UCF was terrible. I hope (and from what it sounds like already has started) Sherm takes him under his wing and maximizes his potential.

Jville

Reaction score
That was a good write up. Thanks for posting link.

Here is a coat tail assessment article from Tony Pauline - Draft Analyst Writer >>> [urltargetblank]http://draftanalyst.com/grading-draft-seattle-seahawks[/urltargetblank]

TwilightError

Reaction score
I expect them to miss most of the season on the injury list. It just often seems to go that way. Vannett, Procise, Ifedi etc. I expect a lot from those guys this year.

Jville

Reaction score
I see Malik McDowell is a replacement for the Quinton Jefferson disappointment (injury). An early down 5 technique sliding inside as a passing down 3 technique. He has traits that could dominate if he wants it bad enough. Pete and John have been looking for someone to fill this role for some time.

Ethan Pocic follows up and reinforces the emphasis on smart versatility. C/G/T ..... I sense a trend. Position theory says an offensive line is only as good as it's weakest member. I expect significant upgrades to their # 4, #5 and 6th linemen ...... regardless of who starts where.

Shaquill Griffin has already been declared a soon to be starter by many. So expectations are already high. Lets hope something reasonable in the way of fan patience follows.

Nazair Jones is potentially a young replacement for the inside length and enveloping wing span of an aging Tony McDaniel. Fan expectations need to be tempered with fan patience.

Delano Hill, Tedric Thompson & Mike Tyson......3 safeties with a mix of of attributes. All the better to experiment with different mixes of 4 - 2 - 5 looks. Gives them fresh material to facilitate a peak at cover 2 (enemy practice team) as a match up compliment to their highly successful press/bail cover 3 scheme. I also have strong expectations for a big boast to special teams.

Amara Darboh refocuses attention on blocking and contested catches. The team has already collected it's requisite deep speed and quickness for down field stretch and explosion. So, attention returns to big physical receivers that can block and fight for the football. I'm expecting a particularly lively exchange of wide receiver opinions to descend upon this forum. And, although special teams contributions are sometime overlooked at wide receiver, it should be the deciding factor with this years final wide receiver spot.

Chris Carson brings competition for a running back roster spot. I'm free of expectations for him. Instead, he brings curiosity and intrigue to the competition.

Justin Senior and David Moore seem like 2 or 3 year development projects.

P.S. There are also a number of rookie free agents that bring intrigue and curiosity to this years competition. But, they fall outside the focus of this thread's subject.

OP
OP
MontanaHawk05

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Jville":1w0srrtc said:
That was a good write up. Thanks for posting link.

Here is a coat tail assessment article from Tony Pauline - Draft Analyst Writer >>> [urltargetblank]http://draftanalyst.com/grading-draft-seattle-seahawks[/urltargetblank]

That's a great write-up.

Seymour

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2bye9gyb said:

Good article.

I've said that this draft was our best since 2012 and I'm sticking to that. McDowell and Pocic should be day-one starters (though I don't think this author has been paying attention - if Pocic competes at tackle, it'll be left tackle). Shaquill Griffin could very well start. Thompson, Hill, and Darboh won't, and that's fine - they'll make a dent on special teams, and that is HUUUGE in regards to getting this team back to the Super Bowl. Huge.

I'm hearing Pocic has been playing R guard and R tackle at OTA's.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3msjez0a said:

Good article.

I disagree Posic will compete at RT RG and Center he will play one of these positions if he starts this year .

Jville

Reaction score
I think it intriguing that Malik McDowell, Ethan Pocic and Shaquill Griffin were all draft projections to be looked at in new positions and roles with the Seahawks. Once again, Pete and John had their own unique methodology again this year. I expect the coaching staff to bring them along deliberately and carefully.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
Jville":16d416p9 said:
Amara Darboh refocuses attention on blocking and contested catches. The team has already collected it's requisite deep speed and quickness for down field stretch and explosion. So, attention returns to big physical receivers that can block and fight for the football. I'm expecting a particularly lively exchange of wide receiver opinions to descend upon this forum. And, although special teams contributions are sometime overlooked at wide receiver, it should be the deciding factor with this years final wide receiver spot.
Another intriguing prospect is Darreus Rogers. He was awarded PFF's "best blocker" among college receivers in August of last year. He also has a large catch radius and strong hands for winning contested passes. His highlight reel has some plays where he turned a sure interception into a reception by basically stealing the ball from the DB.

Jville

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":1ak1p89i said:
Jville":1ak1p89i said:
Another intriguing prospect is Darreus Rogers. He was awarded PFF's "best blocker" among college receivers in August of last year. He also has a large catch radius and strong hands for winning contested passes. His highlight reel has some plays where he turned a sure interception into a reception by basically stealing the ball from the DB.

Noteable oversight on my part ...................................
cst1_ek2v2526.jpg

...................... undrafted rookie free agent Darreus Rogers

chris98251

Reaction score
A pre season fan favorite cut, 2 drafted players cut, 2 UDFA to make team.