2017 Defensive Line

Hyak

Reaction score
I am really stoked about the potential of this DL to be the best we have seen since 2013. That in turn gets me really pumped for their chances this year.

12 guys as of now battling for 9/10 spots

DE - Avril, Bass, Bennett, Clark, Jordan, Marsh
DT - Jefferson, Jones, McDowell, Reed, Rubin, Smith

Their nickel front 4 would look to be Avril and Clark outside with Bennett and McDowell inside but the depth of it sure seems to rival 2013.

As a reminder, our 2013 DL roster was made up as follows:
DE - Avril, Bennett, Bryant, Clemons, Mayowa
DT - Hill, McDaniel, McDonald, Mebane

Hawks46

Reaction score
In terms of talent and experience, it could be the best DL we've had.

McDowell is an elite talent and Jones is a good talent. Add in Reed, Bennett, Avril, Clark....yeesh.

bighawk

Reaction score
This group can and I believe will be dynamic but It depends on how many they keep. My wild card is Dion Jordan if he gets totally healthy he has elite athleticism like McDowell but he's more of an end that bulked up. He may start the year on the PUP list. The potential is high for Jefferson, McDowell, Clark. I am most excited for this group. Jordan and McDowell can be special.

OP
OP
Hyak

Hyak

Reaction score
The DL depth, along with the contributions of Wilson, are the most overlooked aspects of the 2013 SB team. I know this - the defense has not been near as dominant against top tier passing games as it was in 2013.

RW92

Reaction score
I'm right with you on this. I think they could be something special if they continue to work and build to their potential.

Hawks46

Reaction score
JTB":3hdvcawh said:
The DL depth, along with the contributions of Wilson, are the most overlooked aspects of the 2013 SB team. I know this - the defense has not been near as dominant against top tier passing games as it was in 2013.

I'd agree with the depth comment. Avril and Bennett played about 60% of the snaps and it kept them more fresh.

I think another factor is that there was a lot less film on Pete's defense back then. Teams have had a lot of time to scheme against us, and the advent of a Joker TE that is athletic and can attack the seams deep also plays a factor.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
D line depth is what makes the LOB.
I think we will see a marked improvement this year in the ability of the D to get off the field.

Polk738

Reaction score
I think we have sorely missed Mebane-he could really push that middle like no other

bighawk

Reaction score
I think this rotation can and will be better because Malik and Nazair. If Jordan can come back and reach his potential then lookout. I am excited for this year.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Pete has already stated that McDowell is going to play the 5 tech DE like Red Bryant and will move inside on passing downs. I think he is going to give Bennett a breather on 1st and 2nd downs.

Josea16

Reaction score
bighawk":3u1ykoar said:
I think this rotation can and will be better because Malik and Nazair. If Jordan can come back and reach his potential then lookout. I am excited for this year.
That is the plan if those two work out, we're going to the Superbowl unless things go off the rails like last year. After that look for the Seahawks to draft defense heavy again because of all the supposedly elite quarterbacks coming out in 2018. They might even pickup another OL guy that wasn't a basketball player, stranger things have happened. Because some good players are going to be dropping right to them next year.

Josea16

Reaction score
sdog1981":1pf28m2x said:
Pete has already stated that McDowell is going to play the 5 tech DE like Red Bryant and will move inside on passing downs. I think he is going to give Bennett a breather on 1st and 2nd downs.
This and they plan to move him around like Bennett.

Jville

Reaction score
rm5_0081.jpg

..... from seahawks.com

Mojambo

Reaction score
They've got the depth to survive the injuries that typically hit the trenches hard.

If they somehow get lucky and stay healthy, the LOB will have the best season it's had since 2013.

jeremiah

Reaction score
I totally agree with the assessment of the D line. Add in the LB's and 3 of 4 DB's, this Defense is primed to be Elite once more. All we need is on CB to flash brilliance, another to work his way into the line-up and BAM.

Seymour

Reaction score
IMO the biggest difference in Dline "depth" 2016 and years prior is the Oline depth. What I mean by that is the lack of offense (especially running game that rests the D) flat out took it's toll on the Dline and made them less effective as they were just on the field too long. Yes, increase in depth on the Dline will help this year also, but the offense can help even more.

Schadie001

Reaction score
Hawks46":2hzxenj1 said:
JTB":2hzxenj1 said:

I'd agree with the depth comment. Avril and Bennett played about 60% of the snaps and it kept them more fresh.

I think another factor is that there was a lot less film on Pete's defense back then. Teams have had a lot of time to scheme against us, and the advent of a Joker TE that is athletic and can attack the seams deep also plays a factor.

You both hit the nail on the head. I've argued this before about Avril and Bennett. During our SB winning year, we had constant rotation. Like you said our two big pass rushers played about 60% of the time. This is directly related to how we dominated teams in the second half of games and allowed our back end to stop everything. This has changed a bunch in the last 3 or so years. Avril and Bennett played dam near the entire game. I believe this is directly related to why we have a tendency to give up leads at the end of games (pass rush just isn't as good as it was early in the game).

classicaaron

Reaction score
Jville":338yovx5 said:
rm5_0081.jpg

..... from seahawks.com

maybe marsh could motivate himself to get sacks or TFL by limiting himself to a tattoo per occurrence or else he cant get one. because if that was the case he might only have one bicep full at this point so might give him that extra drive to make a play.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
classicaaron":2hgeksvl said:
Jville":2hgeksvl said:
rm5_0081.jpg

..... from seahawks.com

maybe marsh could motivate himself to get sacks or TFL by limiting himself to a tattoo per occurrence or else he cant get one. because if that was the case he might only have one bicep full at this point so might give him that extra drive to make a play.

He can just get tattoos over tattoos for each play he makes. That's what that sweet "Boss" tattoo is for on his right arm. That's for that one TFL he had in 2015.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Seanhawk":1ceee9uj said:
classicaaron":1ceee9uj said:
Jville":1ceee9uj said:
rm5_0081.jpg

..... from seahawks.com

He can just get tattoos over tattoos for each play he makes. That's what that sweet "Boss" tattoo is for on his right arm. That's for that one TFL he had in 2015.

Marsh needs to pick up his game or he'll be outside looking in come September. With the depth that's been added so far this offseason, I don't see him making the team after preseason unless he shows massive improvement.