Why You Should Root for The Seahawks

kidhawk

Reaction score
NFL.com has been doing a series on why you should root for each team in the league. This is Seattle's...

What's the deal with the 12s?
Everybody thinks of the 12s as these front-runners who just magically appeared in the Pete Carroll era. That's not accurate -- that sentiment stems mostly from the jealousy of opposing fan bases.

Now, to be fair, any team that experiences success will enjoy new-found interest from people who weren't fans of the team. I was at Disneyland the other day, and the amount of Golden State Warriors gear was staggering. But make no mistake about it: This is a legit fan base in Seattle. In fact, the 12s thing started when the team was formed back in 1976. The Seahawks played their first year in the NFC, before landing in the AFC (where they'd stay until 2002, when they returned to the NFC due to divisional realignment). They were competitive pretty quickly. Reached the 1983 AFC Championship Game. And all along, the fans created a pretty hostile home-field advantage in the old Kingdome.

In fact, the Seahawks retired the No. 12 in 1984 (that's right; 1984, fools) for the fans. So don't act like this is some fly-by-night fan base. They have been there for the long haul.

[urltargetblank]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000812926/article/why-you-should-root-for-the-seattle-seahawks[/urltargetblank]

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Good to see a national site saying what we've all been yelling at other fan bases for the past 6-7 years.

The "bandwagon" shot is about the laziest shot you can take at any fan base.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
This team was selling out games WAY before 2005, when many think that Hawks fans started being fans. :roll:

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
Love it!!! I have resented this sentiment for years. I know a lot of you, like myself, we're hardcore fans during the "down" years as well. I was harassed in school for being a Seahawks fan, and I live less than 8 hours outside of Seattle, lmao. It's cool the Hawks have picked up so many fans outside the PNW, but it is really awesome to see the media highlight how deeply commited we have all been from the start.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
I think this may fit here.....

[youtube]dF1PKs-3eQ0[/youtube]

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":342bu0ev said:
This team was selling out games WAY before 2005, when many think that Hawks fans started being fans. :roll:
According to the webzone, we didn't become fans until 2012-2013ish.
I'm a proud bandwagon fan of the Hawks since 1976! 8)

chris98251

Reaction score
Never on the BANDWAGON, I moved into the RV and been camping here ever since 1976,

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Nice. SO annoying to get comments when I wear my swag from other team fans like I just put on the flavor of the month jersey. I get it, with sudden success you're gonna get other fans assuming you are simply a band wagon jumper. I have to give the Chargers fans credit though. A couple years back at the tailgate when we played in that doomed heat fest some Chargers fans had a really creative Starbuck's-looking logo that said something like "Seahawks Fans Since 2013".

Cracked me up. :lol:

Proud member of the 38 Club baby.

Seymour

Reaction score
When I jumped on the bandwagon, the calculator had just started becoming available for around $150.00, and the cell phone was not even invented yet. Ohh, and people actually knew the person they were talking too. 8)

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Back when people had actual conversations? Were not spending 24/7 on their cell phones? Seems so long ago

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
With everyone staring into their smart phones all day long I feel like we are living a true life Twilight Zone episode.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Abso-freaking-lutely right on the money. Nice to see a writer who truly gets it. I'm 46 years old and proud to say that the Seahawks are the ONLY NFL team that I've ever rooted for. 'Been loud and proud here as well since 1977 when my family and I first moved to Washington State. They have been my one true NFL love my entire life -- 100% faithful through and through. Faithful since the beginning. Faithful through the dark Behring years. Faithful during all the long, hard years when people generally called us the "Sea-Chickens" and laughed my face when I proudly declared I was a Seahawks fan. Faithful, loud and proud even during that abysmal 1992 season.

These days of the internet when I'm now able to converse with fellow Hawks fans thousands of miles away -- still is amazing to me to this day. Heck, I remember the days when I could hardly FIND a fellow Seahawks fan to talk Hawks football with. I used to spend long hours at the supermarkets, reading Street and Smiths, Lindy's, the Sportingnews, USAToday, and ProFootball Weekly -- like an Easter Egg Hunt -- in order to find in depth info and news on the NFL and the Seahawks.

When I was a kid growing up -- every single year -- I used to write on a piece of lined paper the projected starting lineups (both offense and defense) ... and my projected depth chart at every position (the entire 53 man roster) -- and carry that piece of paper with me in my pocket everywhere I went.

And it warms my heart to no end to know that I am now surrounded by a community of guys whom I KNOW did the same thing -- literally hundreds and thousands of guys out there who are just as crazed and obsessed about the Hawks as I am.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Maulbert":34jmm25s said:
Hawkscanner":34jmm25s said:
Faithful, loud and proud even during that abysmal 1991 season.

Do you mean 1992? We were 7-9 in '91, Chuck Knox's final season. We were 2-14 under Tom Flores in '92.

LOL. Yep. You're right. That's what happens when I post stuff off the top of my head. Bang -- you got me sheriff. :D Fixed.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
So true! To this day, I still LOATHE the term "Sea Chickens". It was always sent with such arrogance and assholery. (Made up word, should be a real word, lol).

I haven't known any different other than the couple years I was a Vikings fan (loved their logo and colors) before the Seahawks were born. Once they were off and running in 1976, my hometown team no-less, I've never looked back.

The 1992 season (sans Kennedy's amazing performance), the Behring Fiasco, XL, etc...We are deserving of every single great game, moment and championship season we've born witness to in recent years.