Bennett on Kam Chancellor

Gio

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/mosesbread72/status/871907620088446977[/tweet]

I think Kam right now gets around 7mil per season and he wants around 10-11mil(?!?) per season.
Do you guys agree with Michael ?

Jerhawk

Reaction score
No. I love Kam and everything he's done for this franchise, but he's on the decline imo. We couldn't expect his body to hold up to his physical style of play.

But it's time to start grooming his replacement. It would be counter intuitive to give an aging player an increased salary when they've already invested heavy in the draft to replace him

sdog1981

Reaction score
I don't think Kam has a future with the Seahawks. He and Bennett will be the first cogs of the fire Superbowl team to leave the team. The future players will be Wilson, Wagner, Clark, Thomas.

massari

Reaction score
He's going to be 30 after this season. What age do Safeties usually decline?

Hopefully Hill can step up.

OP
OP
Gio

Gio

Reaction score
That's what i was thinking as well. I can't wait to see our rookies. As much as i respect Kam as a player i wouldn't want them to pay him 10-12mil/year.

iigakusei

Reaction score
Reshad Jones of the Dolphins got 5 Years 60 million - 35 guaranteed.
If you were Kam would you take less than that? Not a chance.
And therefore unfortunately I think you have to say no and let him hit free agency.

OP
OP
Gio

Gio

Reaction score
iigakusei":2esbo0s6 said:
Reshad Jones of the Dolphins got 5 Years 60 million - 35 guaranteed.
If you were Kam would you take less than that? Not a chance.
And therefore unfortunately I think you have to say no and let him hit free agency.

For sure he will find a team to pay him that much. But i dont feel like Seahawks should do it.

Seymour

Reaction score
Love Kam...but no, his price will need to drop. If he does get a bump up, then it would have to be something they can get out of in year 2 and beyond without a huge cap $$ hit.

This is going to be a really tough contract to extend IMO.

HawkGA

Reaction score
[youtube]LhI88tg1Gqg[/youtube]

That said, I think the stone cold assassin thing to do would be to not pay him. He'll command a lot more than he will actually produce after this contract is up.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Funny how when Bennett is "just being Michael" it's no big deal. I love the guy but he needs to shut his trap and let the front office do their work.

Seymour

Reaction score
massari":2rddexo0 said:
He's going to be 30 after this season. What age do Safeties usually decline?

Hopefully Hill can step up.

Lawyer Milloy played until he was 36 and was still a good strong safety to the end. But, you could tell the drop was there also. That is where the team value comes into play. You cannot just keep giving everyone more $$, there comes a time that no longer makes sense. For Kam, that is getting near IMO.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
1. Yet another example of our players wanting the media to get it right and get off their jocks, yet they can't just shut up, gotta keep on chirping. Can't have it both ways.

2. I love Kam, he's my favorite player. BUT, at this point in his career I wouldn't give him anything more than a two year deal that the 2nd year is team optional.

Kinda like what we ended up doing with Lynch during the past couple years he was here. Good base salary with some bonus, but no long term deal that'll cripple our cap if he gets hurt.

Seymour

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3w1wkqwc said:
Funny how when Bennett is "just being Michael" it's no big deal. I love the guy but he needs to shut his trap and let the front office do their work.

Agree. Why does he pretend like he plays for another team with crap like "pay him now Seahawks" type BS on twitter? If he wants to help him, call Pete or Uncle Paul and put in the word. Don't act like some outsider agent type trying to jack up everyone's wage. :roll:

chris98251

Reaction score
Well Michael looks to be setting himself up as a Agent post Football Career the way he is in everyone's business when it comes to this stuff.

getnasty

Reaction score
Id try to get a new 3 year deal done, or a 5 year deal with nothing guaranteed the last couple. Sure gonna miss him when that day comes. Sure wish Bennett would shut up, it doesn't help anyone for him to bring it up.

Hyak

Reaction score
The challenge is to agree to terms on a deal that protects both sides, especially when Kam is starting to miss 4 or 5 games a season.

It will be an interesting test case of whether the team is ready to break up the defense.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
And this coming from guy who DID GET PAID. You're welcome for the big contract and the loyalty shown by the SEAHAWKS Michael

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
I dont see Kam on the team next season. He's on the decline and he'll want to much. Also, Bennett needs to zip it. He's worse than Sherman.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
JTB":3rfyua53 said:
The challenge is to agree to terms on a deal that protects both sides, especially when Kam is starting to miss 4 or 5 games a season.

It will be an interesting test case of whether the team is ready to break up the defense.

I think in the end it'll be up to Kam as to whether he wants to accept a more team friendly 1-2 year deal that pays him a high base, but for only a 1-2 years...........or wait and see if he can get a long term deal in free agency.

You know Pete and John love Kam and everything he brings to the team, but I don't see them giving him a fat 4-5 year deal. If they were unwilling to do it two years ago, they're certainly not going to do it now.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
Let him ride it out, and use transition tag next year if desired (health/quality of play). If someone else signs him, ok.

This is one of those sad realities, because I really like Kam. Just doesn't make financial sense for the team to give him another big contract.

Although, I also wouldn't have drained 8m on Joeckel. Could have done something (two year extension as mentioned by others) easily without that garbage on the books. We have made some bad FA choices that have really tightened the cap and forced us to lose our guys.