A couple of observations - O Line

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Was looking at some OTA highlights and there might be a clue as to the FO mindset of positions for o-line competition.

The o-line I saw was (left to right) Fant - Joeckel - Britt - Myers - ??

Now I'm not saying this is likely to be the starters come September but i thought it was interesting as Joeckel is higher priced talent and Britt is the only obvious starter imho. I wonder if we can read anything into it at all. If you put Ifedi at RT I wonder if this might not be a million miles away from our starting o-line.

Also does anyone think that Pocic will ultimately be Britt's replacement as Britt will likely be Okunged into a comp pick? The more I think about this the more it makes sense. How long has it been since we drafted a centre and they started at centre (cant include Hunt here)?

Lastly did anyone see Gregg Rosenthal on NFL.com talking about remaining weak spots on NFC teams? I thought he got the Seahawks pretty spot on and it highlights what many think of Tom Cable here. It's mildly amusing also.

Writing about the struggles of the Seahawks' offensive line in the offseason is almost as tiresome as daily non-updates of the team's flirtation with Colin Kaepernick. Seattle has added pieces like second-round pick Ethan Pocic and free agent Luke Joeckel, but Seahawks fans should be past expecting the changes to work.

Cut to November and offensive line coach Tom Cable will be getting praised in a national broadcast for his ability to convert a recent MMA fighter into the team's starting right guard, ranked No. 79 out of 80 PFF qualifiers.

Full article.http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000812320/article/biggest-remaining-weak-spot-of-each-nfc-team

Seymour

Reaction score
I don't understand what you are asking here??
" If you put Ifedi at RG I wonder if this might not be a million miles away from our starting o-line. "

Anyway, Pocic for Britt would be a really dumb move (letting Britt go) given what we've experienced the last couple of seasons, especially last year.
Beyond that, it is way too early to attempt to even predict what the final 5 will be IMO. Hell, Cable himself takes 4 games minimum to figure out his best players. It would be really cool if he could do that in pre-season, but that hasn't happened yet, and I don't suspect it will happen this season either.

StoneCold

Reaction score
Seymour":1815szgc said:
" If you put Ifedi at RG I wonder if this might not be a million miles away from our starting o-line. "

Anyway, Pocic for Britt would be a really dumb move (letting Britt go) given what we've experienced the last couple of seasons, especially last year.
Beyond that, it is way too early to attempt to even predict what the final 5 will be IMO. Hell, Cable himself takes 4 games minimum to figure out his best players. It would be really cool if he could do that in pre-season, but that hasn't happened yet, and I don't suspect it will happen this season either.

Even with his UK's correction to RT, I don't understand what he means. Please clarify.

I think with your two on the left and Britt at center, then with Ifedi at RT and Glowinski at RG you have the most likely starting lineup for 2017.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Glow was supposed to slide to RG per Cable, but it's interesting that Myers was playing some RG. In theory, he could put thosr trunks to good use as a drive blocker.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":2eiiqluz said:
Was looking at some OTA highlights and there might be a clue as to the FO mindset of positions for o-line competition.

The o-line I saw was (left to right) Fant - Joeckel - Britt - Myers - ??

Wouldn't count on it. Seattle tinkers with players at this time. Every year. No sense trying to read anything really until the third preseason game. Seems that's where the experimentation ends and the cream (curdles?) has risen.

Also does anyone think that Pocic will ultimately be Britt's replacement as Britt will likely be Okunged into a comp pick?

I believe this to be so. Although at the very least, he's a smart hedge. Doesn't preclude us from resigning Britt. But he'll get the Okung/Tate treatment where we offer a less than market value contract and he goes elsewhere.

There is however a muddied picture here that distinguishes this situation with the Okung/Carpenter/Sweezy departures. Seattle can get out from under the Lane and Kearse deals ahead of time. A move that I think we *should* enact. And it's also a move that Seattle has also hedged (Darboh, 4 DBs and McDougald). And it's also worth exploring the fact that Joeckel's deal is a one year deal. So allocating his contract to Britt would be simple. Replacing an OG is fairly cheap and easy to do via the draft or in UFA. Joeckel gets 8m because he can play LT if required. Aboushi by himself would have been sufficient to address LG.

Basically at this point, Seattle is in position to reward a fringe pro bowl talent, having hedged both the OC position as well as two grossly underperforming players relative to their deals. If Britt doesn't end up dwarfing Alex Mack's salary -- we should be capable of absorbing and competing on the open market with him. We have unique flexibility heading into 2018.

Seattle is in a better position to retain Britt. And has taken steps in 2017 to make that happen. I still think Pocic ends up replacing Britt. But I'm far less certain about that than I was before this draft. We've predrafted for either possibility. Something we did not do with other OL players we've let go.

Writing about the struggles of the Seahawks' offensive line in the offseason is almost as tiresome as daily non-updates of the team's flirtation with Colin Kaepernick. Seattle has added pieces like second-round pick Ethan Pocic and free agent Luke Joeckel, but Seahawks fans should be past expecting the changes to work.

Maybe not work as far as the O line is concerned. But certainly worked as far as keeping defensive stars on the team. The two are not isolated. Beyond that though, I can't go case by case and endorse resigning or outbidding any of the players we've let go. Nor can I really identify any UFA talents that we should have outbid for in this past offseason.

Perhaps it's tiresome. But it's also a tough problem. It definitely isn't just a case of 'get it done', because that ignores cost (cap space or trading players at other positions). What's tiresome to me, is the endless 'analysis' of the end result without any actual analysis. Instead of stating the patently obvious, which any hack intern could pen -- why not dig into which deals we missed on.

OP
OP
UK_Seahawk

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
StoneCold":5c96a3xr said:
Seymour":5c96a3xr said:

Even with his UK's correction to RT, I don't understand what he means. Please clarify.

I think with your two on the left and Britt at center, then with Ifedi at RT and Glowinski at RG you have the most likely starting lineup for 2017.
From the ota film I could only see 4 players and I couldn't see the RT. So if you put Ifedi at RT plus the others already mentioned would this be close to our starting O-line? That's basically what I was asking.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Here's what I think.

Britt is obviously a lock for this year.

Loyalty and money will factor into the coaches' decisions, and that will mean Joeckel and Ifedi get starting spots. Joeckel will most likely be at LG, given Pete's remarks about his superior performance there, something the stats and tape back up.

So the pivot is at RG and LT. RG is going to come down to Glowinski, Aboushi, Pocic, and (apparently, judging from this thread) Myers. Glow probably has the best chance to pick it up, considering continuity and given that most of his college experience was on the right side, and the fact that he was only the third worst lineman on the team last year. I was hoping Aboushi would come in and dominate, but there's been nary a whisper about his practice work so far, so I'm guessing he's not in the mix.

I'm hoping it's either Glow or Aboushi at RG, because that allows Pocic to kick over and start at left tackle, where he is badly needed.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Pocic, Wonder if he is being groomed for multi positions too. Long snapper maybe as well as tackle/guard? I have no idea if we have a long snapper plan at the moment too. Remember we love multitaskers too.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Seymour":1iedasiq said:

. Really dumb move ? When it comes to the offensive line moves this staff makes, " really dumb" is a hallmark.

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
Seymour":rwaz9pcu said:

Exactly, all signs point to Pocic being drafted as a guard or tackle, not center. He is too tall to be an NFL center. They probably aren't going to get rid of Britt. The center position still is pretty cheap, comparatively.

There is something for fans to be excited about. It's early, I know. But from what I have gathered, in shorts and coming off injury, it's already apparent that this zbs will fit Joeckel's skill set a lot better than Jax system. Fant has packed on 20 lbs of muscle and is working with the GOAT, big Walt. If they can lock down the left side, it leaves a lot of dudes with a lot of potential to battle for the right side. We have O'Day, Pocic, Glow, Ifedi, Roos and a couple of other guys all going for two spots. The best line will be on the field, and the backups will even be a lot better than a year ago. If this line comes together and is even a little below average (I think they will be above average), then the rest of the league should be worried.

OP
OP
UK_Seahawk

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
For all we know Pocic could be better than Britt. Bit harsh to say it's dumb.

Seymour

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":3ulzqaey said:

Britt is our best offensive lineman (and by far is best at center). If Pocic is good enough to beat him out, move Pocic to another position that makes the line group stronger. After what we've gone through with the crap fest, yes I stand by really dumb to let him go. You are only as strong as your weakest link, so drafting to replace your best player makes zero sense.

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":38fdyws7 said:

His length makes him more suited to be a guard or tackle in the NFL.

StoneCold

Reaction score
Jimjones0384":2w8o3zlg said:
Seymour":2w8o3zlg said:

Exactly, all signs point to Pocic being drafted as a guard or tackle, not center. He is too tall to be an NFL center. They probably aren't going to get rid of Britt. The center position still is pretty cheap, comparatively.

There is something for fans to be excited about. It's early, I know. But from what I have gathered, in shorts and coming off injury, it's already apparent that this zbs will fit Joeckel's skill set a lot better than Jax system. Fant has packed on 20 lbs of muscle and is working with the GOAT, big Walt. If they can lock down the left side, it leaves a lot of dudes with a lot of potential to battle for the right side. We have O'Day, Pocic, Glow, Ifedi, Roos and a couple of other guys all going for two spots. The best line will be on the field, and the backups will even be a lot better than a year ago. If this line comes together and is even a little below average (I think they will be above average), then the rest of the league should be worried.

Pocic is one inch taller than Britt.

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
StoneCold":2yh4cq1h said:
Jimjones0384":2yh4cq1h said:
Seymour":2yh4cq1h said:

Pocic is one inch taller than Britt.

Justin Britt is a pro bowl center. His skills are obviously the exception, not the rule. The stuff I heard on Pocic was that his length would hurt him at center in the NFL. The shorter, stronger interior linemen can get under him, take away his strengths, and bull rush him back into the back field. It's a large portion of the limited negative film on him, guys taking his length away.

I don't know why anyone would want someone other than Britt at center for years to come, anyway.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Britt has gone from zero to hero around here.

Let's wait and see what he wants to renew with the team, if the price is close to being right it will get done, but if not I can see Britt moving along, capable or not.

Meanwhile he's here for this year.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Seymour":29gfafgb said:

Agreed. We finally have a guy that actually succeeds on the line and we want to get rid of him? We've tried this before and found out it doesnt work.

StoneCold

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":3319s621 said:
Seymour":3319s621 said:

Agreed. We finally have a guy that actually succeeds on the line and we want to get rid of him? We've tried this before and found out it doesnt work.

I don't think "Want to get rid of him" is quite the correct characterization. The equation will come down to how good is Pocic, which we won't have any idea of until next year, and how much will it cost to keep Britt? I'm sure there is a price that is too high to keep Britt. The better that Pocic proves to be will make that number go down and vice a versa.