Article on Fant

kidhawk

Reaction score
[urltargetblank]http://www.seahawks.com/news/2017/06/06/bigger-and-more-experienced-george-fant-excited-second-season-seahawks[/urltargetblank]

There's a short video with the article, but the article itself talks about what he's done to improve this offseason, including film studies, weight gain, and even getting tips from Walter Jones....

Fant has also spent time talking about the game and his position with Hall of Fame tackle Walter Jones.
“Just having conversations with him, just sitting down with him since halfway through the season last year, just sitting with him talking,” Fant said of his interactions with Jones, one of the best players to ever wear a Seahawks uniform. “Just taking what he says, taking it in, soaking it in, then applying it to my game at some point.
“He’s around every now and then, and one day I was just like, ‘Hey, let me talk to you, because I know you’re watching. I know you’re watching the left tackle position, because I know when I turn the TV on to watch a game, that’s the first thing I’m looking at.’ And I just asked him what he thought, what he’d seen, and he told me. I respected it, I thought he was right, and from there we moved on.”

Seymour

Reaction score
I like Fant, and hope he can take a big step up this season. I do not like how he was thrown to the fire due to other poor choices brought in last season, as that is a very tough way to learn. And yes, it was tough to watch much of the time, but that was then and this is now. Walt helping and working with him makes his dedication to his new position all the better.

That said, I still think another year out of the fire would be best for him, but he may well just win the job again regardless.

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
Seymour":2xm3m77i said:
I like Fant, and hope he can take a big step up this season. I do not like how he was thrown to the fire due to other poor choices brought in last season, as that is a very tough way to learn. And yes, it was tough to watch much of the time, but that was then and this is now. Walt helping and working with him makes his dedication to his new position all the better.

That said, I still think another year out of the fire would be best for him, but he may well just win the job again regardless.

That is probably the one battle that has me the most interested. Fant showed resilience last season, but he got ran over way too much to play tackle. I truly believed he'd be a better guard, but he's starting to give me hope that his off season may turn things around. I like his new weight and the fact that it's not just a bunch of fat. He's definitely put in the work and if he's working equally as hard on learning from tape and from those with experience like Big Walt, I think he may be able to solidify that position for us sooner than I expected.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
He has the physical tools and the work ethic and desire to be great.
If he continues to develop and can anchor down that part of the line, that'd be great, and another underdog story for this team to hang its hat on

Hyak

Reaction score
I do sure like that the Seahawks have setup enough competition and depth that it forces him to win the LT spot. We can argue about ceilings on the OL guys but I think they dramatically have improved the floor based on internal development and the adds via FA and the draft.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
There are no more Big Walt's.
If Walt can help Fant be half the player he was.I will be happy with that.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Yeah, if Fant can hold down his holding calls to 18 over his career, that would be acceptable.

Jville

Reaction score
The comment by George that caught my ear is that everything he has been taught about line play has been learned with Seattle. In other words, he brought no bad habits with him. This echos what Tom Cable is so very open to when John Schenider and associates go looking for developmental candidates.

George Fant is the inspirational story of this offensive line. Excited to see Fant's journey continue to unfold in 2017. :2thumbs:

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
All of the examples above, and the fact that Britt not only became a pro bowl center last year, he developed into one hell of a leader. I have read that he had them boys working every day. It will bring these guys closer together, and gives Fant the mentor he needs on the team. This, coupled with his being thrown into the fire last year, and the fact that good players make a giant leap in year two, I think he has breakout potential.

It would be great if he was the starter next year. Then Joekel can play lg, and open the right side up for an awesome competition. This line will be totally different from last year.

12HawkFan

Reaction score
If Sir Walter Jones becomes his mentor and rubs off on him even a little bit, that will be an incredible thing to see.

Can't wait for the 2017 season to start.

GO HAWKS!!!

toffee

Reaction score
Fant was only 250+ lbs before signing with the Hawk, then he gained 40 lbs to became our 290 lbs LT. This off season, he gained another 30+ lbs to reach 320+lbs. That is 70+ lbs in like 18 months time, a lot of weight over a very period of time.

Fant said that he can still dunk at 320+ lbs, that's something. Almost unbelievable.

TwilightError

Reaction score
I believe in Fant. He will be the difference maker and long time solution at Left Tackle. He will also be the one project o-line player that finally worked out. (OK, Sweezy was decent as well) Dude is a freak athlete, has the natural talent and has the willingness to put in the effort.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Jville":1ga9zemy said:
George Fant is the inspirational story of this offensive line. Excited to see Fant's journey continue to unfold in 2017. :2thumbs:

Completely concur. Still very bullish on Fant's prospects to improve drastically this offseason. To me, his progress is likely the first domino to fall in terms of how the OL for this year shakes out. He's a key piece to this puzzle and will help to determine how the line shapes up even early in the preseason.