Autographs by Players.

pmedic920

Reaction score
I saw some autographed memorabilia recently and it got me to wondering.
Obviously we can all get similar prices online but what about a walk in shop?

Do prices vary by region?

I've never purchased an autograph before but I have been given autographed merchandise as gifts

Here's an example of what I saw here in Houston.
8359809f0b74278f8665a72625e7e46f.jpg

ee5817ffdecbd8a6b4dd97e117d0536d.jpg

What are these going for in Seattle?
Do you buy autographed merchandise?

This shop did have an autographed (old school) jersey by #80 for $149., it almost became my first purchased autograph.

BTW, I think that's way too much for #3

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I think everyone's seems pretty much in line with average but I agree, that's too much for Russ...I would say maybe $150-$175 would be more reasonable as an average.

2_0_6

Reaction score
Those prices are about what you would see here, but Russ is pricey good lord. These days most of the stuff the shops have in stock are also either on their website or on Ebay.

From the ages of 8-17 I spent the majority of my summer days, and fall/winter weekends down at the stadiums/hotels/facilities getting autographs from not only local guys but from visiting teams as well. Over the years I amassed numerous boxes of cards, helmets, balls, and other memorabilia. The sad thing is there are so many fakes these days there is no resale value in much of it due to all the fakes out there now. Since I was doing this for a hobby and not a source of income I never bothered to get photo proof of a player actually signing my item(s).

My two experiences that stick out are these:

My buddy used to draw portraits and did one of Iverson doing a crossover in a Sixers uniform, right before their first visit to Seattle his rookie year. Before I took them, he told me that if for some reason he wants one, to give him the original. I had the 11"x14" with me along with 25 prints. As he got off the bus at the 4 Seasons, I walked up to him with it in my hands and in a loud voice asked me "where the F***K I got that". I stuttered and before I could answer he said "that's DOPE", then asked where I got it. I explained that my buddy drew it, and that if he liked it he could have it. He then told security that I was coming inside with him.

We sat and talked for about 10 minutes, and he told me to meet him in the lobby later that day at 4pm, and whatever I bring in he would sign. So I went and spent several hundreds on jerseys, rookie cards, posters, balls, etc and got it all signed along with the 25 prints. For several years after that I would go down to the hotel and he got to know me by name, and gave me courtside seats to each of the games. A cool follow up was one of the last times I went down there he asked me to bring my buddy, and he commissioned him for a family type portrait.

Second is I was outside the Crown Plaza the season after Omar Vizquel went to the Indians and somehow ended up giving him a ride home all the way up to Issaquah in my cousins '93 Toyota Paseo. Apparently he was too cheap to get a cab, and had enough trust in two kids to drive him home. I got three team balls signed, and had box seats behind the Indians dugout that entire series.

After I got married in '05, most of my stuff has been taken off the walls and now resides either on the walls of my garage, work office, or is sitting in my loft in numerous boxes. I might go and dig out a few items and post pics later tonight.

12thbrah

Reaction score
Wow that is an awesome story. Iverson was my favorite nba player growing up. So jelly

ZorntoLargent

Reaction score
I just stick with cards as they are authentic straight from the pack, and are limited #
They are also easier to display.
8v9297g0
60911eid

6efvog33

ZagHawk

Reaction score
I've managed to get a lot of signings free/cheap (cheap being if you spent $100-$200 to attend the event and walk away with 5-18 autographs that's not a bad deal) attending charity events or the pro shop autographs, as well as going to bing training camp. Trufant's bowling event is usually a really good one.

That being said for big names like RW that tend not to sign for anyone else but kids at training camp. Mill Creek Sports occasionally has private signings (and sell pre-signed stuff). I think last Christmas they had a sale and some of the items were very reasonable. Something like a Marshawn Lynch Signed Elite Jersey for like $350 or something. Which may sound like a lot, but at the time the Elite jersey cost $300 retail and his autograph for his session was $99 . So that actually was a decent deal.

Hope this helps.

Side note I've been spotting a lot of Hawk players (Wagner, Sherman, Kearse and today Doug) at my gym recently. I may need to start carrying a football and sharpie in my gym bag.

OP
OP
pmedic920

pmedic920

Reaction score
ZagHawk":efp9mqvl said:
I've managed to get a lot of signings free/cheap (cheap being if you spent $100-$200 to attend the event and walk away with 5-18 autographs that's not a bad deal) attending charity events or the pro shop autographs, as well as going to bing training camp. Trufant's bowling event is usually a really good one.

That being said for big names like RW that tend not to sign for anyone else but kids at training camp. Mill Creek Sports occasionally has private signings (and sell pre-signed stuff). I think last Christmas they had a sale and some of the items were very reasonable. Something like a Marshawn Lynch Signed Elite Jersey for like $350 or something. Which may sound like a lot, but at the time the Elite jersey cost $300 retail and his autograph for his session was $99 . So that actually was a decent deal.

Hope this helps.

Side note I've been spotting a lot of Hawk players (Wagner, Sherman, Kearse and today Doug) at my gym recently. I may need to start carrying a football and sharpie in my gym bag.

That's good info.

I'm not in the market, or looking to purchase any autographs.
I was really more curious if the prices were consistent, or if they vary by regional location.
I also find it curious that W.Jones & S.Largent can be had for $90 and Wilson is so high priced (on these mini helmets).

Couple years ago, I was given a M.Lynch signed mini, and I'm sure it was under $100 at the time.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
pmedic920":26uf7r1m said:
I also find it curious that W.Jones & S.Largent can be had for $90 and Wilson is so high priced (on these mini helmets).

To me it's people cashing in on his status as one of the big stars of the league. Largent, Jones, et al...Those are legendary players of the past that older folks would appreciate but our What Have You Done For Me Lately culture and the younger fans are going to be drawn to the current stars. That's my take at least.

2_0_6

Reaction score
I know of several guys who I used to get autographs with when I was a kid, who still do it today. Most of them are not doing it for hobby but for profit.

Bringing kids down, taking pictures of them signing, then right to Ebay, Craigslist, or Offer up.

Its pretty pathetic.

OP
OP
pmedic920

pmedic920

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":3hpag6wa said:
I know of several guys who I used to get autographs with when I was a kid, who still do it today. Most of them are not doing it for hobby but for profit.

Bringing kids down, taking pictures of them signing, then right to Ebay, Craigslist, or Offer up.

Its pretty pathetic.

Don't get me wrong, I'll get one if it's convenient.
I carry a black, and a silver sharpie with me every game or function that I attend.
I'd never be an "ass" about it, nor would I invade a guy's private time but if I could get 2/3 players to sign my 12 flag during warm ups, I'd be happy as could be.
Those things would be cherished and never up for sale.
One of my most precious souvenirs is a cap I got signed in Cheney.

Zorn, Largent, N. Johnson, C.Young, and Ron Essink.
It wasn't intentional, I was simply in the line, these are the guys that I ended up getting.

NOT FOR SALE
:{)

sc85sis

Reaction score
My favorite autograph is one I got from Pete. What's unusual about it is that it's inside a first print of "Unbroken"—the Laura Hillenbrand book about Louis Zamperini.

I attended a Win Forever event at which Pete and Louis were speaking. They had copies of the book for sale. Since I'd forgotten to bring Pete's book, I asked him to sign "Unbroken" instead. He asked, "You want me to sign Louis' book?" Then he proceeded to autograph it with, "Louis is awesome!"

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
Aros":3qwuf84h said:
pmedic920":3qwuf84h said:

To me it's people cashing in on his status as one of the big stars of the league. Largent, Jones, et al...Those are legendary players of the past that older folks would appreciate but our What Have You Done For Me Lately culture and the younger fans are going to be drawn to the current stars. That's my take at least.

"GET OFF MY LAWN!!!"..........Lmao.

andyh64000

Reaction score
My favorite is a Stanford Softball shirt I had signed by Baldwin and Sherman for my daughter.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
I have the richard sherman sports illustrated cover he signed at lucky strike, and another photo he autographed at the pro shop. no idea what they are worth.

Also have a ball autographed by hasselbeck, another SB48 limited edition ball signed by Kearse, and another signed by the whole 78 team (year I was born, bday gift).