We're Saved !!! O-Line "Nailed"

Seymour

Reaction score
Is that actually up or down from last years "best group of guys I've even had to work with"?? :idea:

sdog1981

Reaction score
I thought we were already talking about this?

Josea16

Reaction score
sdog1981":23cn4atc said:
We are but some people are a bit slow on the uptake and obviously don't look at current threads. It's too hard when there are 10 separate threads about the OL at all times because of .Net's negative fetish about the OL.

Case in point, all the Negative Nellies don't account for experience, continuity, or people playing in their correct and/or natural positions unlike last year. They will be average this year and that's all the Seahawks need. They admitted last year was a mistake. It's not going to happen again because there are too many "at least average" veterans in the mix to make it possible.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Josea16":rga0ou4s said:
sdog1981":rga0ou4s said:
We are but some people are a bit slow on the uptake and obviously don't look at current threads. It's too hard when there are 10 separate threads about the OL at all times because of .Net's negative fetish about the OL.

Case in point, all the Negative Nellies don't account for experience, continuity, or people playing in their correct and/or natural positions unlike last year. They will be average this year and that's all the Seahawks need. They admitted last year was a mistake. It's not going to happen again because there are too many "at least average" veterans in the mix to make it possible.

Hummmm...seems like we've heard this before. Too bad we gotta wait three more months for the opening game.

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
Fant was put "in an impossible situation" last year. No s**t. As fans, there's nothing we can do except hope. I'll get "excited" when I see it on the field.

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
sdog1981":111v6vqs said:

They haven't stopped talking about this for years. I wonder what people want. Do you him to come out and say, "you know what, these guys suck. We are doomed"? If he did, they would bitch about that too. It's borderline delusional, the expectations of this fanbase, that is.

Seafan

Reaction score
Jimjones0384":14ecgnc9 said:
sdog1981":14ecgnc9 said:

They haven't stopped talking about this for years. I wonder what people want. Do you him to come out and say, "you know what, these guys suck. We are doomed"? If he did, they would bitch about that too. It's borderline delusional, the expectations of this fanbase, that is.

It's not the entire fan base.

Atradees

Reaction score
I don't know about all the hysterics...
If we have 2 to 3 games decided by the liquored
Up kicker ...when we have Russell Wilson
One of the greatest quarterbacks in the league..
Then let's fire the inept and delusional coach already.

I like the greatest Seahawks teams of our time to play offense and defense. To watch when we can't complete a pass or a run is frustrating because we have world championship ability. I hope it doesn't take half a season to get the line settled. Then Peter out when we hit stiffer competition in the playoffs.

Tom Cable. Elephant in the room.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Won't all the 'negative Nellies' be disappointed if in fact the OLine is average or better. Let's remember the Hawks OLine is still the cheapest and certainly one of youngest in the league. I remain curious as to the additions and genuinely expect some real development of the 4 starters left from last season and from the other players the team has drafted. Of course they won't all prove out but you have to think they will be better.

Several aren't happy around here if there isn't a coach or player to pick fault with.

Lately if not Bevell, it's Cable, and of course Kearse, Britt went from being a .net pariah by finally playing a position where his physicality could work and he demonstrated he was able to master the mental part of the game. He's clearly not a RT and the experiment with at G didn't work. He was a Pro Bowl C though. Who knew? Coach Cable did. All in all if we assess the scrap pile players the team has recycled they have certainly found the odd one that proved out not to be horrible.

Pittsburgh won the SB last time they won with a horribly bad OLine. Throwing money at the problem is clearly not the answer and finding quality players for the NFL especially on the OLine is not easy. BTW I listened to Coach Cable and he never said the OLine was nailed, only that he was excited with what he was seeing from his young charges. That sounded like coach speak, but then again aren't coaches expected to encourage?

Let's wait and see.

FidelisHawk

Reaction score
I don’t know, despite playing behind the worst (or at least one of the worst, depending on whose stats you use) pass blocking lines in the NFL and being hobbled for most of the season, Russell was still sacked the least number of times (41) since his rookie year (33). Even though he had over 150 more pass attempts.

It should be interesting to see how a healthy Wilson bounces back from his worst statistical season (TDs down, QB ratings career lows, INTs up) after throwing for a career high 4219 yds last year.

I think the future's still bright despite all the hand wringing over the Offensive Line and various coaching positions.

adeltaY

Reaction score
jammerhawk":4w95s8an said:
He's clearly not a RT and the experiment with at G didn't work. He was a Pro Bowl C though. Who knew? Coach Cable did. All in all if we assess the scrap pile players the team has recycled they have certainly found the odd one that proved out not to be horrible.

Pittsburgh won the SB last time they won with a horribly bad OLine. Throwing money at the problem is clearly not the answer and finding quality players for the NFL especially on the OLine is not easy. BTW I listened to Coach Cable and he never said the OLine was nailed, only that he was excited with what he was seeing from his young charges. That sounded like coach speak, but then again aren't coaches expected to encourage?

Let's wait and see.

Agree with the wait and see approach and I'm pretty optimistic about the line.... but tbf it did take Cable 2 years of horrific Britt play to switch him to center. I'd be all on board with that view if he immediately had Britt move to center after Unger left.

At this point we fans parody the Tom Cable show to the point that whatever he says is basically meaningless. Just gonna have to see how the OL boys do on the field.

Josea16

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":1178rrwv said:
Josea16":1178rrwv said:
sdog1981":1178rrwv said:

Hummmm...seems like we've heard this before. Too bad we gotta wait three more months for the opening game.
Yes, we have heard it before but the difference is this year it's actually true. Fant will be better as will Ifredi (by playing his actual and natural position) just by being 2nd year players and nothing else. Joekel is definitely a better then average LG and whoever wins the RG spot will be league average. And Britt is the real deal.

toffee

Reaction score
Josea16":1frzojfq said:
Bigpumpkin":1frzojfq said:
Josea16":1frzojfq said:
sdog1981":1frzojfq said:

Yes, we have heard it before but the difference is this year it's actually true. Fant will be better as will Ifredi (by playing his actual and natural position) just by being 2nd year players and nothing else. Joekel is definitely a better then average LG and whoever wins the RG spot will be league average. And Britt is the real deal.

ummm, with some luck, our OL may achieve league average.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
jammerhawk":3pouq0mc said:
Won't all the 'negative Nellies' be disappointed if in fact the OLine is average or better. Let's remember the Hawks OLine is still the cheapest and certainly one of youngest in the league. I remain curious as to the additions and genuinely expect some real development of the 4 starters left from last season and from the other players the team has drafted. Of course they won't all prove out but you have to think they will be better.

Several aren't happy around here if there isn't a coach or player to pick fault with.

Lately if not Bevell, it's Cable, and of course Kearse, Britt went from being a .net pariah by finally playing a position where his physicality could work and he demonstrated he was able to master the mental part of the game. He's clearly not a RT and the experiment with at G didn't work. He was a Pro Bowl C though. Who knew? Coach Cable did. All in all if we assess the scrap pile players the team has recycled they have certainly found the odd one that proved out not to be horrible.

Let's wait and see.
Very well put Jammer. :2thumbs:

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
My take:

1. I can't bring myself to believe the coach who cried, "Our best group yet" for the past several seasons. This is a refrain that should fall on deaf ears to all but the most intractable homers. It's easily been the biggest whitewash BS line from this FO and it's repeated like clockwork every single OTA season.

2. I think this will be our best OL group since we let Hutch walk. Not for any propagandist reasons that Cable is repeating. Namely, I think we've added pieces that fit in a very Tobeck/Gray kind of way. I do think Fant is going to excel quickly. And we have better hedge quality players in the pipeline should our 1a options from May/June not prove effective.

3. Better experience. I fully expect our homegrown talent to be better this year. But that's not a given. I like the fact that we've added Joeckel and Aboushi into the mix. Not as savior types. But as capable options to insert into the mix. There isn't a lot of Fant/Odhiambo/Ifedi players on this roster who basically have to start as rookies or are the primary backups -- providing little real competition to underperforming starters. We don't have any rookies right now that we're counting on. If the starters suck, we have players to elevate without reservation.

4. Ifedi at RT -- not thrilled. I get why we drafted him. And I conceded we'd probably draft him. That said, I still stand by my pre draft opinion that Ifedi is not a good player. Good athlete. Not a good player. And I'm not thrilled that he's going to be slotted at RT -- a move I predicted before last season that we'd make in 2017. Because he was a pretty unremarkable RT in college. So every time I see the staff remark that he's returning to his natural position, I read it as he's returning to his poorly played natural position. His issues at RG were basically the same that he exhibited at RT. I hold out hope that Ifedi blossoms in his second year as most NFL players do. But at this point I'll have to see something that he didn't preface in his rookie season. Immediately I'll be looking to see if he's found a good punch and has rid himself of his severe predilection of bear hugging rushers that he displayed in college. He'll be good for 2-3 holding calls a game if he hasn't.

I find it very interesting that we've invoked competition with the following:

5. Ethan Pocic. The 'new' prototype Seahawk OL prospect. Pocic was a player that very few of us really considered for Seattle. He really appeared to be a player that didn't fit our profile. Seattle has consistently sought athletic but raw players. Players that played OT in college almost exclusively. With the intent to salvage draft value if required by transforming them into interior OL players if necessary.

Enter Pocic. A player who rarely played OT in college. A player who, while not unathletic -- certainly not remarkable compared to the profile of OT prospects we've culled in the past with an eye toward converting to the interior. A player who is assuredly not raw at all. But very technically proficient. A player deeply steeped in the zone blocking scheme. A player who really played interior OL almost his entire career. A player whose ability to keep his hands inside are remarkably dissimilar with Ifedi's 'give me a hug' grappling style.

He really is a departure from the kinds of prospects we've added in the past. And to take him in R2. I have to think this is what Pete and John were referring to when they talked in March about re-evaluating their previous drafts and trying to learn from their mistakes. Because Pocic is most definitely the most obvious departure we made in this draft relative to what we've done previously. We sacrificed some high end athletic upside for proven talent and skill and familiarity with our concepts. And it really seemed like Pocic was the "guy we couldn't leave the draft without", given how secretive we were about our interest in him.

Overall, this group should make a very significant leap in terms of improvement. It's fairly typical for fans to see rookies as failures in their first year and to cast aside the expectation that the same players who sucked in year one can become competent and even quality guys in years two and three. That 'improvement' has to be made by adding totally new guys. As opposed to guys just getting better. Seattle invested in youth last year. And took our lumps in turn. This year we should start reaping the benefits of that investment. But if we somehow manage to not get much in the way of returns, we have better options to turn to than the Sowells and Webbs of the NFL.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Josea16":31k5ateh said:

Continuity? What continuity?

Other than Britt, you're looking at four guys all playing new positions potentially.

I do think the line will be improved over last year, because we've added some depth. But it's still going to be a subpar line filled with subpar lineman in at least 3 of the 5 spots, if not 4 of 5 spots.

Jville

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":12f6kxnq said:
My take:

1. I can't bring myself to believe the coach who cried, "Our best group yet" for the past several seasons. This is a refrain that should fall on deaf ears to all but the most intractable homers. It's easily been the biggest whitewash BS line from this FO and it's repeated like clockwork every single OTA season.

2. I think this will be our best OL group since we let Hutch walk. Not for any propagandist reasons that Cable is repeating. Namely, I think we've added pieces that fit in a very Tobeck/Gray kind of way. I do think Fant is going to excel quickly. And we have better hedge quality players in the pipeline should our 1a options from May/June not prove effective.

3. Better experience. I fully expect our homegrown talent to be better this year. But that's not a given. I like the fact that we've added Joeckel and Aboushi into the mix. Not as savior types. But as capable options to insert into the mix. There isn't a lot of Fant/Odhiambo/Ifedi players on this roster who basically have to start as rookies or are the primary backups -- providing little real competition to underperforming starters. We don't have any rookies right now that we're counting on. If the starters suck, we have players to elevate without reservation.

4. Ifedi at RT -- not thrilled. I get why we drafted him. And I conceded we'd probably draft him. That said, I still stand by my pre draft opinion that Ifedi is not a good player. Good athlete. Not a good player. And I'm not thrilled that he's going to be slotted at RT -- a move I predicted before last season that we'd make in 2017. Because he was a pretty unremarkable RT in college. So every time I see the staff remark that he's returning to his natural position, I read it as he's returning to his poorly played natural position. His issues at RG were basically the same that he exhibited at RT. I hold out hope that Ifedi blossoms in his second year as most NFL players do. But at this point I'll have to see something that he didn't preface in his rookie season. Immediately I'll be looking to see if he's found a good punch and has rid himself of his severe predilection of bear hugging rushers that he displayed in college. He'll be good for 2-3 holding calls a game if he hasn't.

I find it very interesting that we've invoked competition with the following:

5. Ethan Pocic. The 'new' prototype Seahawk OL prospect. Pocic was a player that very few of us really considered for Seattle. He really appeared to be a player that didn't fit our profile. Seattle has consistently sought athletic but raw players. Players that played OT in college almost exclusively. With the intent to salvage draft value if required by transforming them into interior OL players if necessary.

Enter Pocic. A player who rarely played OT in college. A player who, while not unathletic -- certainly not remarkable compared to the profile of OT prospects we've culled in the past with an eye toward converting to the interior. A player who is assuredly not raw at all. But very technically proficient. A player deeply steeped in the zone blocking scheme. A player who really played interior OL almost his entire career. A player whose ability to keep his hands inside are remarkably dissimilar with Ifedi's 'give me a hug' grappling style.

He really is a departure from the kinds of prospects we've added in the past. And to take him in R2. I have to think this is what Pete and John were referring to when they talked in March about re-evaluating their previous drafts and trying to learn from their mistakes. Because Pocic is most definitely the most obvious departure we made in this draft relative to what we've done previously. We sacrificed some high end athletic upside for proven talent and skill and familiarity with our concepts. And it really seemed like Pocic was the "guy we couldn't leave the draft without", given how secretive we were about our interest in him.

Overall, this group should make a very significant leap in terms of improvement. It's fairly typical for fans to see rookies as failures in their first year and to cast aside the expectation that the same players who sucked in year one can become competent and even quality guys in years two and three. That 'improvement' has to be made by adding totally new guys. As opposed to guys just getting better. Seattle invested in youth last year. And took our lumps in turn. This year we should start reaping the benefits of that investment. But if we somehow manage to not get much in the way of returns, we have better options to turn to than the Sowells and Webbs of the NFL.

Good points .... With regards to your 5th point, I also detect a pivot in scouting and selection criterion.

As the numbers of quality college linemen declined, they experimented extensively ...... identifying what works and doesn't work. Correlating what meshes with their cap philosophy and what doesn't. I think these perceived changes are reflections of lessons learned.

Versatility, in season continuity and up grading their 4th, 5th best linemen as well as primary backups has come more sharply into focus and moved to the front of their priority list. Chasing after the best left tackle or a 1st year rookie pro bowler has taken more of a back seat.

Seymour

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":163g24tc said:
My take:

.....4. Ifedi at RT -- not thrilled. I get why we drafted him. And I conceded we'd probably draft him. That said, I still stand by my pre draft opinion that Ifedi is not a good player. Good athlete. Not a good player. And I'm not thrilled that he's going to be slotted at RT -- a move I predicted before last season that we'd make in 2017. Because he was a pretty unremarkable RT in college.....

Excellent post. I agree this is the one area that I see as a huge leap in assumption that all the sudden Ifedi at R tackle will be considerably better than among the leagues worst guards he was last season. I just don't see it personally, and in fact think he may well be worse there.
That and assuming Joeckel can hold down the L guard spot after that totally re-constructed knee surgery, and what we have here is anything but a sure thing IMO.
I think Pocic could end up at R tackle, and hopefully Joeckel can hold his spot all season. Fant I do see making a jump this season, but that too is not a given.
This could easily go either way, and the season is riding on it. A repeat of last season will crush our chances of a 2nd Lombardi.