Seahawks and kam working on extension

hawksincebirth

Reaction score
after the Seahawks’ minicamp practice on Tuesday, Kam Chancellor’s contract negotiations went on the table.

“Well, we would very much like to work something out,” Seahawks coach Pete Carroll said. “We’re working at it. That’s really all we we’ll say, but we are working at it with every intention of taking care of business. It takes a while. These things take a while. His frame of mind and our frame of mind is in a really good place and we’re going to work hard to get something done as soon as we can.”

Didn't see this posted yet, imo I sign kam now to front heavy deal with team options in year 3-4.
Thoughts??

http://sports.mynorthwest.com/29649...ellor-face-hurdles-in-getting-extension-done/

Seymour

Reaction score
I see no way they give him 4 years with his injury history myself. This is a dang tough call to be honest, but my thought is a 2 year well compensated extension that has some performance based incentives. Also he just had bone spurs removed from both ankles, and they may need to see how those are doing to finalize anything.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Seymour":1jir2qf2 said:
I see no way they give him 4 years with his injury history myself. This is a dang tough call to be honest, but my thought is a 2 year well compensated extension that has some performance based incentives. Also he just had bone spurs removed from both ankles, and they may need to see how those are doing to finalize anything.

They may lengthen the deal if they want to spread out any signing bonus. A lot will depend on the structure. You can be sure that there won't be guaranteed money for the back half of any deal that's 4 years long though.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
These are the type of moves that lead to a team's decline imo.

Kam has been great, but it's time to start grooming his replacement, not putting extra cap stress on a franchise that needs to be building depth.

The Patriots, for example, probably would've cut ties with him after his holdout season, or traded him

kidhawk

Reaction score
Jerhawk":yqxgisis said:

Kam has been great, but it's time to start grooming his replacement, not putting extra cap stress on a franchise that needs to be building depth.

The Patriots, for example, probably would've cut ties with him after his holdout season, or traded him

You may be right, but until we know exactly what the terms of any extension may be, we really can't say this is true.

As for what the Patriots may or may not do, I really don't care. I respect the fact that they are a perennial winner, but I'm currently enjoying what Pete/John are doing here in Seattle. It may not be perfect but it sure is fun to watch.

FidelisHawk

Reaction score
The highest paid strong safety at this time is Reshad Jones, he signed a 5 year, $60,000,000 contract with the Miami Dolphins, including a $9,200,000 signing bonus, $35,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $12,000,000.

He is also 29 years old.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
kidhawk":3rb1hler said:
Jerhawk":3rb1hler said:

You may be right, but until we know exactly what the terms of any extension may be, we really can't say this is true.

As for what the Patriots may or may not do, I really don't care. I respect the fact that they are a perennial winner, but I'm currently enjoying what Pete/John are doing here in Seattle. It may not be perfect but it sure is fun to watch.

It definitely is fun to watch. It's been an incredible seven year ride now, something I never imagined this team would do growing up.

But that's my point. I don't want the ride to stop, I want the Hawks to be contenders for several more years, not just looking back five years from now thinking "man, that Pete Carroll era was a lot of fun" as we're going 6-10.

But, I'll stop there. Pete and Schneider know what they're doing.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Jerhawk":40mh0olf said:
kidhawk":40mh0olf said:
Jerhawk":40mh0olf said:

It definitely is fun to watch. It's been an incredible seven year ride now, something I never imagined this team would do growing up.

But that's my point. I don't want the ride to stop, I want the Hawks to be contenders for several more years, not just looking back five years from now thinking "man, that Pete Carroll era was a lot of fun" as we're going 6-10.

But, I'll stop there. Pete and Schneider know what they're doing.

I understand completely what you are saying. I often wondered if the day would ever come that we'd be the perennial contender and one of the annual super bowl favorites. We got there and it's a great ride so I'm trying to just enjoy it for what it is and not worry too much about it ever ending. I will admit though, this is the first off season where I've thought that time is running out for our core defensive players to stay together. I think we are being smart in drafting young talent now to replace them over the next several years, but it will eventually come down to it. Our window is close to closing on this particular group, and like everyone else, I hope that we can extend the franchise window even when the window closes for some of our current stars.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
This has been known for what...almost 2 months now?

At any rate, Kam likely plays longer than both Earl and Sherm and likely stays here longer than the others with Sherm leaving and having maybe 1-2 years left and Earl potentially retiring two years from now. Earl might not retire, but I'd be really, really surprised if Sherm is still here after his contract expires in two years and I wouldn't be surprised if he's gone after this year unless he learns to chill out a bit. I know a lot of people still hold a grudge against Kam, but it's painfully obvious that the coaching staff and Pete in particular count on Kam to lead. Two years from now, we're likely looking at Kam being the only LOB member still here or playing football in general. That's a lot of shoes to fill and it's likely that we only get 1 long term starter from this year's crop of DBs. Again, all 3 members of the LOB are special and we can't expect that some rooks are going to come in and be held to that same level...at least not with any sanity. You probably get fired on your day off if you're that stupid.

chris98251

Reaction score
Pete used Lawyer Milloy to Coach up our secondary and then cut him, I say cut but Pete's release of Milloy was done with respect, I expect a similar situation to happen with Kam, big contracts many times never are paid out, he may get extra bonus money somewhere or get to keep a chunk as he rides into the sunset.

Seafan

Reaction score
IMO they give Kam $15-20m guaranteed on a 3-4 year extension but it doesn't happen until during the season. The Hawks need to see where his body and head are.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
With his injury status, I would let him walk and open up cap space. I'm probably wrong though.

HawkGA

Reaction score
From a team perspective, I could see a 1-2 year extension, which would have Kam here another 2-3 years (since he still has 1 year left). Don't know if that would be good enough for him or not.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
FidelisHawk":21liyzeo said:
The highest paid strong safety at this time is Reshad Jones, he signed a 5 year, $60,000,000 contract with the Miami Dolphins, including a $9,200,000 signing bonus, $35,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $12,000,000.

He is also 29 years old.

No offense to anyone else, but this is the post that matters so far.

Like it or not this is the market rate, and Jones isn't the player Kam is either, IMO.

Sterling Archer

Reaction score
I think it's a good idea to extend Kam, he is still a great player and a leader on the team. A 3-4 year deal with no guarantee after year 2 around Jones' numbers would be fair and likely a good deal for the Seahawks.

I know there's an injury history, but you don't let a top 5 SS walk when he is still playing well. If he was already declining then I'd be hesitant but I do believe Kam has at least another 2 years of elite play left. That is worth keeping around while they try to find the future (hopefully someone from this draft). It would also do a lot to help team morale.

Seymour

Reaction score
Jerhawk":1r3m4buq said:

Exactly why I say really tough call. I could see this going either way myself. If they think he keeps the current window open by having Kam who is the soul of the team here, they just may go above and beyond with him. I'd be good either way personally as it is that close.