3 starting RB's?

SpokaneHawks

Reaction score
I'm thinking we'll start the season with Lacy getting the most carries, Rawls in kind of a back up/rest role, and probably Procise for relief? IMO, this could work and I really do believe Lacy has nothing but upside. I think he's going to be the powerback that this offense needs to get rolling! A few seasons ago, we kind of did the running back by committee thing but it just never really worked out because our backs couldn't stay healthy. So, IMO, the real question is if Rawls is in more of a backup role, not the sole back, can he maintain his health throughout the season?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
If they somehow stay healthy, very few teams, if any will be able to have fresh guys coming in during the 4th quarter of games. Wear em down, eat up that clock and play solid D. Championship

Mojambo

Reaction score
The three guys just complement each other perfectly.

It almost makes too much sense to work.

northseahawk

Reaction score
I think they should just preserve Rawls for the 4th qrtr.

Imagine his energy against a tired defense thats been bruised up by lacy and gases up by RW and Procise.

nrayorr

Reaction score
Another thing to consider is that Procise can catch out of the backfield, could be used in the slot also. He's a great catcher.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Lacy used to only be good for about 3 drives before he was on the bench coughing up Chinese food. Hope that changes...

Josea16

Reaction score
nrayorr":1kjg5xke said:
Another thing to consider is that Procise can catch out of the backfield, could be used in the slot also. He's a great catcher.
That's to be expected given he was a wide receiver. A big advantage with him is that the offense doesn't tip their hand when he's in.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Cyrus12":27odfaiw said:
Lacy used to only be good for about 3 drives before he was on the bench coughing up Chinese food. Hope that changes...

It will...he's in Seattle now. It'll be seafood.

Mojambo

Reaction score
Josea16":1i32sbpu said:
nrayorr":1i32sbpu said:
That's to be expected given he was a wide receiver. A big advantage with him is that the offense doesn't tip their hand when he's in.

Hot Take: A healthy CJ Procise will completely rehabilitate Darrell Bevell's image as a playcaller with Seahawks fans (those who still have a reasonably open mind, anyway.)

chris98251

Reaction score
Mojambo":1c3t689y said:
Josea16":1c3t689y said:
nrayorr":1c3t689y said:

Hot Take: A healthy CJ Procise will completely rehabilitate Darrell Bevell's image as a playcaller with Seahawks fans (those who still have a reasonably open mind, anyway.)

Yeah I am sure instead of a flare pass he will run him at the 1 yard line and fool everyone.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
When I saw the thread title, I had odd visions of Russell running the wishbone or the old Triple I Nebraska used to run. That would be simultaneously zany and captivating.

I just think due to health concerns, they no longer envision Rawls as a workhorse back anymore and Prosise fits the bill as an all-purpose back, used more than in a 3rd down role but less than 10 carries.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
If Lacy proves motivated (and I still have my doubts), Lacy-Rawls will be what Lacy-Starks was supposed to be in Green Bay. With Prosise.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I can't see any scenario where we have three starting RB's.

The signing of Lacy put Rawls on notice, and the notice says "you're gonna ride the pine because we can't trust you to stay on the field or hit the hole properly (which he had a problem with last year even when healthy)."

IMO Lacy will be given every opportunity in camp and preseason to be the 20-25 carry back Pete wants in this offense, and Prosise will be the 3rd down long yardage back.

I think we'll keep Rawls, because he's still cheap. But make no mistake, his carries will be few and far between if Lacy and Prosise stay healthy. He'll get 2-3 series a game when Pete wants to spell Lacy.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2lp60fce said:
I can't see any scenario where we have three starting RB's.

The signing of Lacy put Rawls on notice, and the notice says "you're gonna ride the pine because we can't trust you to stay on the field or hit the hole properly (which he had a problem with last year even when healthy)."

IMO Lacy will be given every opportunity in camp and preseason to be the 20-25 carry back Pete wants in this offense, and Prosise will be the 3rd down long yardage back.

I think we'll keep Rawls, because he's still cheap. But make no mistake, his carries will be few and far between if Lacy and Prosise stay healthy. He'll get 2-3 series a game when Pete wants to spell Lacy.

This is a good point as well as the rest of the statement. I think Prosise is a better RB than Rawls even if CJP didn't catch and run routes as well as he does. Things could always change though.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":1eog20km said:
Things could always change though.

I think we found out last year that this is probably the new norm until we find that young stud durable RB.

Lynch spoiled us, now we know how the rest of the the league deals with the RB position..........you stockpile as many quality backs as you can, then hope for the best health and production wise.

Seafan

Reaction score
SpokaneHawks":2zbionw4 said:
I'm thinking we'll start the season with Lacy getting the most carries, Rawls in kind of a back up/rest role, and probably Procise for relief? IMO, this could work and I really do believe Lacy has nothing but upside. I think he's going to be the powerback that this offense needs to get rolling! A few seasons ago, we kind of did the running back by committee thing but it just never really worked out because our backs couldn't stay healthy. So, IMO, the real question is if Rawls is in more of a backup role, not the sole back, can he maintain his health throughout the season?

Prosise will be the 3rd down back if he stays healthy.

ACFan

Reaction score
SpokaneHawks":38fnchij said:
I'm thinking we'll start the season with Lacy getting the most carries, Rawls in kind of a back up/rest role, and probably Procise for relief? IMO, this could work and I really do believe Lacy has nothing but upside.

I agree that is the best conventional logic heading into the season, the right answer on paper.

If the question expands into which backs are most likely to be steady contributors for 16+ games, I'd have a different answer though.

Rawls and Prosise bring a lot of excitement, can make big plays and have big games in spurts, but I think the jury is still out on them doing continually throughout a season.

The offense needs a steady, reliable, powerful force in the backfield, a foundation Wilson can build and thrive on, continuity is so key, and hard to achieve when a RB by committee is done with a variety of styles.

Lacy certainly fits the bill as a steady reliable, powerful force in the backfield, and I believe Collins will grow into that as well if given the opportunity. (was looking steady and comfortable at the end of last season)

They don't just look similar, their pedigree is also similar and their styles seem pretty compatiable. And by far the two most battle tested RBs on the roster, a whole lot of carries between the two with few injuries.

Few carries and a lot of injuries for everyone else on the roster.

So if the question becomes who will produce the best over 16+ games, my answer would be Lacy and Collins have the best chance to, with the 3rd spot going to whoever can go the longest without getting hurt between Rawls and Prosise. Also interested to see Carson.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
A good RB can wear a defense down and take over a game in the 4th quarter. Lynch was just that type of back. I don't think you can get that same kind of production with a running back by committee.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":12zd06js said:
A good RB can wear a defense down and take over a game in the 4th quarter. Lynch was just that type of back. I don't think you can get that same kind of production with a running back by committee.

I think that's why we signed Lacy, he has the potential to be that type of back if he can stay healthy and be the work horse everyone thought he would coming out of college.

IMO he went to the wrong style of team, Rodgers throws the ball 40 times a game. Lacy needs to be in a run heavy pound the rock type of offense, so that he like Lynch can wear a defense down by the 4th quarter.

So I have high hopes for Lacy here. He's motivated, in shape and fighting for his NFL career life............that's the perfect storm.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":313dxt8s said:
I kind of see it a little differently; When Lynch first came to Seattle, he was in his prime, and had no durability issues, That is a rarity for the RB position because of the pounding they take.
Now, imagine being all winded and sore from having tried to tackle someone like Lynch, and then, having to face a fresh set of legs from someone like Lacey coming at you in the 4th quarter....THAT would be a RB's by committee that would be a son-of-a-B to game plan for, and I think that this is what we just might be seeing pretty soon.
Also, I'm eager to see what Algernon Brown & Chris Carson have to offer up, as highlights of both these guys have shown some real promise.
I think that because of durability issues the past couple Years, is probably the reason the RB by committee is what Pete Carroll would like to give a try.....Wave after Wave.