rules for "excessive offseason contact "

Rocket

Reaction score
Does anyone have a pointer to a writeup of excessive practicing, the actual rule, what we did wrong and what pansy-fart wrote this rule... and why?

Thanks.

sutz

Reaction score
Pretty sure that is all covered in the CBA.

StoneCold

Reaction score
Did we get dinged again this year? I thought I heard that OTA's closed and we were compliant.

sutz

Reaction score
StoneCold":1ufrs5ap said:
Did we get dinged again this year? I thought I heard that OTA's closed and we were compliant.
Haven't heard of any infractions yet this season.

Seymour

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":9bz5nm5n said:
Oh the horror, contact in FOOTBALL :roll:

Haven't you heard? Physical contact is above the pay grade of $10M per year. That is why it was negotiated out of practice through the CBA. Someone could get hurt. :twisted:

HawkGA

Reaction score
naholmes":2rfannhg said:
The league has also placed limits on the number of full-contact padded practices during the regular season. Teams are permitted a total of 14 for the year with 11 of those practices conducted during the first 11 weeks of the season (a maximum of one per week).

http://www.nfl.com/trainingcamp/story/0 ... -nfl-games

Holy cow! 14 full pad practices for the entire season?

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
HawkGA":1jqy020o said:
naholmes":1jqy020o said:
The league has also placed limits on the number of full-contact padded practices during the regular season. Teams are permitted a total of 14 for the year with 11 of those practices conducted during the first 11 weeks of the season (a maximum of one per week).

http://www.nfl.com/trainingcamp/story/0 ... -nfl-games

Holy cow! 14 full pad practices for the entire season?

...for a 16 game season.......ya...whatever. And they wonder why there are more injuries.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
It's in the CBA. Article 21. Section 2. Full text can be referenced here

Quoting pertinent info:

During Phase Three, all coaches shall be allowed on the field. No live contact is permitted. No one-on-one offense vs. defense drills are permitted (i.e., no offensive linemen vs. defensive linemen pass rush or pass protection drills, no wide receivers vs. defensive backs bump-and-run drills, and no one-on-one special teams drills involving both offense and defense are permitted). Special teams drills (e.g., kicking team vs. return team) are permitted, provided no live contact occurs. Team offense vs. team defense drills, including all drills listed in Appendix G to this Agreement, are permitted, provided no live contact occurs. Clubs may require players to wear helmets; no shells are permitted during Phase Three of the Club’s offseason workout program or any minicamp.

Phase three is what we commonly know as "OTAs". It's the 2nd and 3rd practice sessions. There is also one 3 day OTA during phase two which has similar contact restrictions.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Rocket":uo9e2x5y said:
Does anyone have a pointer to a writeup of excessive practicing, the actual rule, what we did wrong and what pansy-fart wrote this rule... and why?

Thanks.

It's in the new CBA, so the pansy farts are both sides, players and owners.

btw, I'm fine with Pete trying to push the envelope of these new rules to gain an edge, but from what I read when the penalty came down was that it was because two DB's accidentally ran into each other during OTA's and banged heads or something.

Seems kinda harsh to me, I mean every team tapes practices so the league can review film if there's an incident. So it's not like Pete was intentionally exposing his players to contact when he wasn't suppose to. It was a accident.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3e16wjwu said:
Rocket":3e16wjwu said:

Thanks.

btw, I'm fine with Pete trying to push the envelope of these new rules to gain an edge, but from what I read when the penalty came down was that it was because two DB's accidentally ran into each other during OTA's and banged heads or something.

Seems kinda harsh to me, I mean every team tapes practices so the league can review film if there's an incident. So it's not like Pete was intentionally exposing his players to contact when he wasn't suppose to. It was a accident.

The 2nd time that was the case. The first time (2 years prior) it was an actual fight between Sherman and Bates.

Sounds like an ESPN article doesn't it?

"Later in the practice, Sherman picked off Russell Wilson deep down the sideline. He ran the ball back down the field and flipped it underhand to Wilson while yelling at him. An offensive player then tossed the ball at Sherman’s head as the two sides kept yelling."

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seahawks/punches-thrown-at-seahawks-minicamp/

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":3kwh8ero said:
Sgt. Largent":3kwh8ero said:
Rocket":3kwh8ero said:

Thanks.

The 2nd time that was the case. The first time (2 years prior) it was an actual fight between Sherman and Bates.

"Later in the practice, Sherman picked off Russell Wilson deep down the sideline. He ran the ball back down the field and flipped it underhand to Wilson while yelling at him. An offensive player then tossed the ball at Sherman’s head as the two sides kept yelling."

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seahawks/punches-thrown-at-seahawks-minicamp/

Right, that's why this penalty was harsher, cause of the first one.

But neither was intentional, so idk. It all seems silly to me, this is football. But I guess if the NFLPA agreed to it, then that's that.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
I can understand the limit on contact. These guys are so big and so fast that nobody would make it through the season if there was always full contact.

Josea16

Reaction score
WmHBonney":3ucmxbv7 said:
I can understand the limit on contact. These guys are so big and so fast that nobody would make it through the season if there was always full contact.
Wow, you actually get the intent. It went way too far to the wrong side obviously but hopefully that gets fixed in the next negotiations. If the NFL expects to be the primary professional sports league in the USA. Injuries are happening directly because nobody is actually practicing full out enough. The NFL has several choices.

1. More active players
2. Bigger rosters or practice squads instantly transferable to the big club like baseball and soccer.
3. A bigger hard salary cap
4. A soft salary cap like everyone else, pay luxury tax if you have the balls and now we will see who has sack, or rich or just smart.

5. Something else I have no idea how to work out but would be the best option, a developmental league like baseball and basketball. You seeing a theme here yet? (These billionaire owners need to start spending money especially since they chose to be independent entities).

HawkGA

Reaction score
Seymour":3m1jhvgt said:
Sgt. Largent":3m1jhvgt said:
Rocket":3m1jhvgt said:

Thanks.

They got fined for players yelling at each other? Seriously? That's right up there with "What are you going to do, arrest me for smoking?"

Seymour

Reaction score
HawkGA":3lbej38a said:
Seymour":3lbej38a said:
Sgt. Largent":3lbej38a said:
Rocket":3lbej38a said:

Thanks.

They got fined for players yelling at each other? Seriously? That's right up there with "What are you going to do, arrest me for smoking?"

No. That quote was for context of when this happened. As I said, it was for fighting.

IBleedBlueAndGreen

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":31040whp said:
Rocket":31040whp said:

Thanks.

This is accurate. The dumb thing is that Pete and the coaching staff had talked with the team about being too physical for those practices and even had them PURPOSELY remove their helmets and pads with the intention of limiting contact to stay in compliance with the rule. The two that collided were fringe players that didn't make the roster, so it's really stupid that even though they were trying to comply they still got dinged because of two people that essentially had no other impact on the organization.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
My understanding is that the violations resulted from what were essentially two freak occurrences: first, it was the Sherman-Bates dust up that ended with players taking swings at each other before the fight was broken up; and the second violation was because two tryout players accidentally bumped heads while going for a fumbled ball.