Hawkblogger: Seahawks Offensive Identify Crisis

ivotuk

Reaction score
He wants to be the toughest team at all times, and his philosophy emphasizes the aspect of the game that define toughness in his eyes.

That starts with a physical running game that will pound the rock against any defense on any down and at any time. He wants opponents to dread the battering ram coming their way before the game, and wilt under its relentlessness when the fourth quarter rolls around

[It’s] the way we want to play. We want to be physical, we want to be tough, we want to attack you, we want to get after you, we want to make sure you know you’ve played a very hard football game; when you play our team, we’re going to beat the hell out of you if we can.

All that ties together with defense and special teams and a running game. You don’t get that feeling when you’re a throwing team. You can’t get that.

So, that’s why Marshawn is(was) so important. When you put all these elements together, there is some thought here, I want to put together a football team that does a number of things really well, that there’s a number of ways we can beat you…

http://www.hawkblogger.com/2017/06/seah ... sophy.html

jammerhawk

Reaction score
All of what you say is true ivotuk.

The advantage of the run physicality is it then allows Wilson to take advantage of a play action deeper quick strike just as soon as the opposing team sells out to stop the run. This dis concerts an opposing D. Provided of course the OLine can passpro to a minimal degree. There have been problems there that have been discussed elsewhere here ad nauseum.

Last season plus has been marred by a weaker than expected running game, with injuries to Lynch and Rawls, and the clear lack of players who stepped forward to pound the rock. This player weakness issue has now been addressed and reliance on health of a player or two who can't stay healthy has hopefully ended. Besides the team has added a big physical back on a prove it basis. Let's hope the fat jokes end with his success and 'TheHulk' narrative starts here. I miss the 'the beastmode'. Unfortunately as well the youth on the OLine have not initially at least been dominant in that area of their game, something that is expected to improve from them. Hopefully the experience of actual game time playing will allow some significant performance improvement there. I expect better from them this season and hope the story is different this year. There are a few reasons for some encouragement, unless you remain mired in negativity.

The lack of a dominant running game leads to our OC and HC getting cute when circumstances would dictate being tough 'that horrible XLIX play' being evidence. A further downside is it puts more pressure on the D who don't stay as fresh b/c they have more minutes playing when the the run game fails to produce important yardage or utilizes more positive clock.

I love watching the Hawks simply punch the other team in the face by being dominant running. I don't think the team wants to to have 'an identity crisis' it has been mostly a poor combination of inability to get the job done contributed to by health, lack of ability, and sometimes situational scheme. Even a a slight improvement in their ability to pound it will make a big improvement in the team's overall performance because even with the poorer than hoped for results from last year and the year prior the team is an annual playoff level participant. I'm optimistic the changes and acquired experience and some health will show more than just a slight improvement.

Seymour

Reaction score
jammerhawk":1pfchg2g said:
All of what you say is true ivotuk.

Much of what "he said" was direct quoted from the article without any indication who's words are who's???

jammerhawk

Reaction score
OK , but ivotuk posted it and I suspect he agrees.

I suspect you knew that though.

Are you normally always oppositional or do you just do it for fun? You are a smart guy but always seek out an argument, why is that?

Is there something other than an incomplete attribution about ivotuk''s post you disagree with?

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
It's not so much of an identity Crisis, per se, but more like:

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth."

Usually, WE were the ones doing the punching. Lately we've had
some key pieces leave or go down that put less power behind our blows.
We shall see if this incarnation of an offensive line and RB situation
brings back the KO's...along with better coaching/clock management/situational awareness, etc.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
In a way, I'm kind of glad we went through a season like the last as I believe it will make Russ a more complete QB. Because of his lack of mobility, he had to become more disciplined in the pocket and I think that developed his awareness. And he certainly tested his arm. Put the entire package together and he becomes even more a of a threat!

Overseasfan

Reaction score
A lot has to go wrong if we don't manage to do exactly that this year. A motivated Lacy combined with a healthy Rawls and Prosise is the most versatile backfield in the league. Our O-line should also be improved (hard not to do compared to last year).

That should be enough reason for confidence.

Seymour

Reaction score
jammerhawk":37f82399 said:
OK , but ivotuk posted it and I suspect he agrees.

I suspect you knew that though.

Are you normally always oppositional or do you just do it for fun? You are a smart guy but always seek out an argument, why is that?

Is there something other than an incomplete attribution about ivotuk''s post you disagree with?

I'm not seeking an argument. I have no idea what is direct quote and what is his opinion. This is common courtesy to quote the article so we know who to guide the comments to and I thought it was strange.

Most of that info has been gone over many times, but I agree not enough credit goes to Wilson's mobility in the run game which it did point out.

Now if I was looking for arguement I'd point out with your comment is incorrect.
"Last season plus has been marred by a weaker than expected running game, with injuries to Lynch and Rawls"

Lynch was retired last season.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
The year prior to last Lynch was hurt and it affected the run game, Rawls played well the year 'before' until he too was hurt, then since for a season 'plus' hasn't played that well seemingly b/c of injury, but perhps partilly due to the OLine. When Lynch returned after his injury and surgery he was not as effective as we had come to expect from him. We all know he was 'retired' last season, sadly he isn't now.

You just can't help yourself, and are seemingly perpetually unfriendly and argumentative towards other posters. Why you have a pathological need to be like that is a mystery because you are as I said, a seemingly intelligent poster and have many interesting thoughts albeit frequently negative.

Maybe it's just my perspective but your style is usually evocative of argument. We are all Seahawks fans here and everyone is entitled to their opinion. We can disagree without argument.

Seymour

Reaction score
If we all agreed and posted just that like good Stepford fans, it would be pretty dead, redundant, and little learned about someone else's "real" view.

On the plus side, it looks like much of the disagreement has stopped around here. Listen hard and hear the echo.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":16fsuhtp said:
In a way, I'm kind of glad we went through a season like the last as I believe it will make Russ a more complete QB. Because of his lack of mobility, he had to become more disciplined in the pocket and I think that developed his awareness. And he certainly tested his arm. Put the entire package together and he becomes even more a of a threat!
Yep, I think Pete was reluctant to going heavy with the passing game in 2015, but because the O-Line was getting pushed around, and Russell Wilson was getting sacked and or hit far to often, and without an accompanying Smash Mouth Run Game, Pete had to back away from his "Pound The Rock" formula, luckily, he had Russell Wilson & Doug Baldwin to pull off the change-up.
Not every Quarterback has that kind of mental flexibility, and physical durability.
The Rams and Cards too full advantage of the Seahawks faltering Run Game, because their Defenses were free to put full focus on our single faceted Offense --> stopping, or at the very least, hampering/molesting Russell Wilson, and even at that?, Wilson still threw for a ton of yards against some of the Leagues best Pass Rushers. :stirthepot:

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":1pviotmq said:

I completely agree with your assessment on Wilson's development.

And I know you're one of the few Bevell supporters on here (sorry to bring him up), but some of last season's games shouldve been a wake up call to everyone associated with the offense. Scoring 5 in Tampa, 3 in Los Angeles, etc.

Hopefully they can get it figured out next season and stay healthy. We've got the talent on offense to put up points, they just need to execute better, especially in the red zone (obviously).

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Seymour":2armzjm6 said:
Now if I was looking for arguement I'd point out with your comment is incorrect.
"Last season plus has been marred by a weaker than expected running game, with injuries to Lynch and Rawls"

Lynch was retired last season.

Which is why he said "last season plus".

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
Best part of that good Hawkblogger article:

Even during the record-setting second half of the 2015 season, the running game was terrific. What everyone forgets is the Seahawks ran the ball more in the second half of that season, not less. Wilson simply added ninja-like efficiency in situational passing on 3rd down and in the red zone to an already productive running game. That’s where this offense can shine. Efficient passing must be added to, not a replacement for, productive running.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Jerhawk":2k7pcf1l said:
Siouxhawk":2k7pcf1l said:

And I know you're one of the few Bevell supporters on here (sorry to bring him up), but some of last season's games shouldve been a wake up call to everyone associated with the offense. Scoring 5 in Tampa, 3 in Los Angeles, etc.

Hopefully they can get it figured out next season and stay healthy. We've got the talent on offense to put up points, they just need to execute better, especially in the red zone (obviously).

Perhaps but he hasn't shown consistent ability to pass from the pocket. Granted, he wasn't given much of a chance with that horrendous O-line.

This season is a big one for RW. He will either improve, or he won't.

If he doesn't, the franchise QB tag starts to crumble fast.

chris98251

Reaction score
semiahmoo":1h2ypt65 said:
Jerhawk":1h2ypt65 said:
Siouxhawk":1h2ypt65 said:

Perhaps but he hasn't shown consistent ability to pass from the pocket. Granted, he wasn't given much of a chance with that horrendous O-line.

Archie Manning, Joe Namath, Bert Jones, I can go on but they all had great moments and were franchise guys, no line and no real run game destroyed them, Why Archie is so involved with his sons and how they ended up and where, putting them in position to be places where ownership would build around and protect them.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
chris98251":1r45rr6v said:
semiahmoo":1r45rr6v said:
Jerhawk":1r45rr6v said:
Siouxhawk":1r45rr6v said:

Archie Manning, Joe Namath, Bert Jones, I can go on but they all had great moments and were franchise guys, no line and no real run game destroyed them, Why Archie is so involved with his sons and how they ended up and where, putting them in position to be places where ownership would build around and protect them.

Agreed. If we don't protect RW his career will be shortened considerably. Last season was a big warning. Those injuries might never fully go away, either. They accumulate until a player just can't do what he used to and another season like the last one for RW might be enough to do just that.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
While I know the OL has to do a better job than it did last year, the injury events were in situations that Wilson creates as part of his nature. His instinct is to extend the play and look for the home run ball.

Whether the OL holds blocks for 0.5 seconds or 3.5 seconds, Wilson is going to try to extend plays looking for opportunity which puts him into the circumstances in which he was injured last season.

Keep in mind the initial injury was one of the very few true accidents in Suh's career, and the subsequent one came on an illegal horsecollar tackle.

I agree that we need to protect him for the sake of his career longevity, but by the same token we can't wrap him up in cotton balls without ruining the very thing that makes him a special QB.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":cw99tkfj said:
While I know the OL has to do a better job than it did last year, the injury events were in situations that Wilson creates as part of his nature. His instinct is to extend the play and look for the home run ball.

Whether the OL holds blocks for 0.5 seconds or 3.5 seconds, Wilson is going to try to extend plays looking for opportunity which puts him into the circumstances in which he was injured last season.

Keep in mind the initial injury was one of the very few true accidents in Suh's career, and the subsequent one came on an illegal horsecollar tackle.

I agree that we need to protect him for the sake of his career longevity, but by the same token we can't wrap him up in cotton balls without ruining the very thing that makes him a special QB.

Which also makes it even more likely he won't have a particularly long NFL career.

3-4 more seasons?

A slower RW is a far less capable one and time and weight are already working against him.

3-4 more healthy seasons and another Super Bowl, though?

I'll take it.