Gil Brandt's top LT's of All-TIme.......

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Gil Brandt's a dinosaur, so not surprising half his list is dudes who chain smoked, sold used cars in the off season and weighed 210 lbs in the 50's and 60's.

Walter Jones is a top 4-5 tackles of all time. End of story. I don't need some sports nursing home octogenarian to validate that.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
That has to be an oversight. A mistake. No way Walter Jones is left off this list on purpose.

nanomoz

Reaction score
He's now #4 on the list. They must have quietly fixed it.

Milehighhawk

Reaction score
He has Jones at #4 but for some odd reason has a picture of someone completely different slotted there.

Edit: Looks like they fixed the picture.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
So originally they had STAN Jones, not Walter Jones.... I had the page up and refreshed, the pic changed but not the description, refreshed again and the description changed to Walter's career highlights. Not some guy from 1954-1966.

It had to be a mix up. Everyone calling that out, they edited it pretty quickly. :lol: :lol:

chris98251

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":24jl6vui said:
Gil Brandt's a dinosaur, so not surprising half his list is dudes who chain smoked, sold used cars in the off season and weighed 210 lbs in the 50's and 60's.

Walter Jones is a top 4-5 tackles of all time. End of story. I don't need some sports nursing home octogenarian to validate that.
This is a statement of bias, each one of those guys were elite for their time, each one of them also have something in common, a toughness most people can only associate with 15 round Brawl, the smoke and drank and led their teams and protected their QB's, can't say that for about 90 percent of todays players, you messed with a RB or a QB as a defender you seen the LT in your face more often then not as well from when these guys played. Not I have a Boo Boo and have to sit out a few weeks.

I will add this, it was a game still for many of those guys who loved it, many now look at it as a business and have a different approach and mentality.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Now Brandt's RB list is up. Ezekiel Elliot is on it.

One great season and he's on the list of top 26 RBs of all time. Literally dozens of RBs have had similar seasons to what Elliot did last year. You know why they aren't on the list? Because they didn't do it for more than a couple seasons.

I guess Alfred Morris would have been on this list after his rookie year.

Brandt needs to retire.

Trrrroy

Reaction score
HawkFan72":2eg8zg6m said:
Now Brandt's RB list is up. Ezekiel Elliot in on it.

One great season and he's on the list of top 26 RBs of all time. Literally dozens of RBs have had similar seasons to what Elliot did last year. You know why they aren't on the list? Because they didn't do it for more than a couple seasons.

I guess Alfred Morris would have been on this list after his rookie year.

Brandt needs to retire.

That has to be the worst ever. How the hell is Elliot on a best RB of all time list? That and he has Curtis Martin over Adrian Peterson?

A-Dog

Reaction score
If they were drafting now, I bet 7 out of 10 GMs would take Big Walt #1. GOAT.

hawxfreak

Reaction score
Brandt's done , I think he still has a job because so many people click as his opinions are so outdated and make everyone shake their head .
Elliott , really.
I watched big Walt stonewall some of the best rushers of their day completely.
The guy was amazing even in his last season when he lost a step he was still excellent.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Can you really make a rock solid argument that Walt is so much more superior than Munoz and Ogden? Once you take into account the different eras, top 5 is all the same.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Really strange they only added Walt later. Brandt probably completely forgot him. So glad he had that Stidyar guy from the 30s on the list-sure can't forget about that perennial fan favorite.

Something you'll never see again though-Jackie Slater's career-20 seasons ('76-'95), played until he was 41 and all with 1 team.

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
chris98251":2dtta0fh said:
Sgt. Largent":2dtta0fh said:

This is a statement of bias, each one of those guys were elite for their time, each one of them also have something in common, a toughness most people can only associate with 15 round Brawl, the smoke and drank and led their teams and protected their QB's, can't say that for about 90 percent of todays players, you messed with a RB or a QB as a defender you seen the LT in your face more often then not as well from when these guys played. Not I have a Boo Boo and have to sit out a few weeks.

I will add this, it was a game still for many of those guys who loved it, many now look at it as a business and have a different approach and mentality.

People forget, rules have changed a lot. These guys get fined for breathing wrong. I dare you to question their toughness, therefore kinda question their manhood, to their faces.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
chris98251":2k2lbung said:
Sgt. Largent":2k2lbung said:

Yes I'm biased, biased that no way in hell some 260 lb lineman that played football part time in an era where there was barely a forward pass yet could dominate like these other modern day players.

And it's hard to compare players from different generations, I get it. But if we're making a list in a vacuum? No way I include HALF the list with these old dudes.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Brandt is up there with Prisco for being perpetual Seahawk haters due to some unknown self-perceived slight by the team. It's the only thing that truly explains their disdain for the Seahawks year after year and is why I will never, ever, ever give them a click to any of their garbage.

chris98251

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1akys6ue said:
chris98251":1akys6ue said:
Sgt. Largent":1akys6ue said:

Yes I'm biased, biased that no way in hell some 260 lb lineman that played football part time in an era where there was barely a forward pass yet could dominate like these other modern day players.

And it's hard to compare players from different generations, I get it. But if we're making a list in a vacuum? No way I include HALF the list with these old dudes.

You have to divide the eras, Saying todays Honda is a better car then a 1969 Chevelle is a great example or a F-15 vs a P52 Mustang or Corsair.

15 Yrs from now when they outlaw Humans playing Football and are using Cybernetic players are we going to trash all of today's players because they can't run 3.5 40's and throw the ball 200 yds or bench press 2000 pounds .

Yeah the above is a stretch but the analogy is valid.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Brandnt is an old Cowboys homer. He is only slightly better on his predictions about "the girls" than Michael "crackhead" Irvin who's been predicting *allas will win a super bowl every year for the past 21 years.

I think Gil is very biased but is harmless.

A-Dog

Reaction score
sdog1981":10s2lw1v said:
Can you really make a rock solid argument that Walt is so much more superior than Munoz and Ogden? Once you take into account the different eras, top 5 is all the same.
"Rock solid" and "so much more superior?" No. But Munoz played at 278, and didn't face the specialized pass rushers that Big Walt and Ogden did. Ogden is a monster but at his size he's simply not as athletic as Big Walt - Ogden ran a 5.05, Walt ran a 4.7. Walt is pretty much the physical ideal of the position, whereas Ogden's height is a bit more than ideal.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
chris98251":3m3oepcd said:
Sgt. Largent":3m3oepcd said:

:2thumbs: Lot of the young ones do not understand "Toughness"It has been replaced with a pair of panties.