Russell Wilson story could easily apply to Tom Brady

kobebryant

Reaction score
When Brady blows up on the sideline, which is a couple times per season, it is considered passion and leadership - and I agree with that. Sherman does it and he's considered by some as a malcontent and a distraction - which I vehemently disagree with. Sherm wants to win as bad as anyone and his passion often comes out in unconventional ways. I see no problem with either man's approach.

It would be nice if Sherm was afforded the same leeway as a guy like Brady, as I think from 2011-2015 he built up more than enough equity to be given the benefit of the doubt.

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
I have yet to see Brady go off on their defensive coordinator and head coach (his own offensive coordinator, yes). Possibly I missed something.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I used to make excuses for Sherm, can't anymore. He brought it on himself by acting like a jack wagon on the sidelines. He CHOSE to act that way, instead of keeping it behind closed doors. Sherm thinks he's a coach I guess, but he's a player, not above anyone else on the team.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
There's nothing new about coaches getting an earful from star players and QBs in particular.

If a player like Brady does it, however, it's the OC who would need to worry about employment. It's not apples to apples, but there's no revelation here.

c_hawkbob

Reaction score
Seymour":2m1mk2gr said:
I think Sherman may be forgetting something here. This story does not exist (The ESPN version that started this eruption), if he doesn't have sideline blowups with 2 different coaches last season.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/r...wilson-story-could-easily-apply-to-tom-brady/

What makes you think he's forgetting that? The fact that the speculation was fueled by his own actions doesn't effect the veracity of what he says in that article at all.

Sure the speculation exists because he is boisterous and demonstrative on the sidelines and does't shy away from the camera even when he's in the middle of a blowup, and yes, his obvious disgust with the play call in real time at XLIX in that now famous gif adds to the fuel for the sort of chatter, as does the fact that someone connected it with a years old blow up at Russell in a training camp ... all those things things may well be why there is this "story" (not really a story at IMO, just click bait), but what he says in that article is still true, regardless of the motivating factors behind the speculation.

All QB's ARE treated differently! All super stars at any position, on any team, in any sport (or movie set, or board room or whatever) ARE treated differently, and whether it gets written about or discussed on sport talk radio or not there is a level of resentment by players that ARE NOT treated the same.

So what? It's a fact of life; the Jordan Rules are real, deal with it. (everyone deal with it, not just you, no offense intended)

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Exactly, why is it news that a QB might be treated differently? It has always been that way. Probably since they were in Jr. High.
It does seem that when this team wins, they are very good at pumping their chests. But when things go wrong, or after a loss, get your popcorn ready :snack:

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3lk1ynjn said:
Exactly, why is it news that a QB might be treated differently? It has always been that way. Probably since they were in Jr. High.
It does seem that when this team wins, they are very good at pumping their chests. But when things go wrong, or after a loss, get your popcorn ready :snack:

That is what I find most odd and unpredictable with Sherman. His biggest blowup to date was after a win about Crabtree. And something totally unrelated that started it that had to do with a comment Crabtree made in a pre-season camp about Sherman. He clearly holds a grudge for a long time, and seems to have little control when it comes out.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Seymour":15ms5itc said:
SoulfishHawk":15ms5itc said:

That is what I find most odd and unpredictable with Sherman. His biggest blowup to date was after a win about Crabtree. And something totally unrelated that started it that had to do with a comment Crabtree made in a pre-season camp about Sherman. He clearly holds a grudge for a long time, and seems to have little control when it comes out.
We get it. You hate Sherm. Duly noted.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Of course QB's are treated differently.

This entire episode is confirmation of earlier warnings that the Seahawks' sideline and locker room were far more tense/contentious than most people knew about. Well, they know now. And to those who doubted...

The article is also a testament to Bill B's great coaching. He rips on Brady in front of everyone. Message sent that on that team nobody is safe and all are expected to perform.

Pete doesn't carry that same level of gravitas and with the modern-era player, that can be a problem.

See: Sherman

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
The two players aren't remotely similar in how they approach these blow ups. And it has nothing to do with the position they play.

They both are highly competitive, even combative at times. But where the two diverge is in how they deal with the aftermath. Once cooler heads have a chance to avail.

Brady is adept at the art of contrition. Whether it's genuine or not doesn't really matter. He has a manner and ability to diffuse these instances after the fact. In a way that essentially kills the story before it gets out of hand.

Sherman is frankly awful in this manner. Given multiple opportunities, he either defiantly (I'm guessing he sees it as righteously) persists, or he hamhandedly offers a disingenuous attempt to cast the issue aside. Whether by condescending manner or by diction laced with ridicule. It's a poorly crafted 'Sorry, not sorry' message. And in the end, the story intensifies as a direct result of what one *should* conclude is discontent simmering beneath a very thin veneer of decorum or team harmony.

They are treated differently because Sherman's inability to kill the issue. I can't be sure if it's just he's not skilled at that. Or that he's simply not very inclined to exercise contrition if he feels he is in the right. I mean we've seen him on occasion squash these kinds of issues before. But that hasn't been consistent and certainly has not been the norm the last couple of seasons now. Regardless, the end result is the same. He is the root cause of these cases lingering for weeks on end.

I would add, that I'm not trying to claim one way is necessarily better than another. And I'm sure there are behind the scenes consequences that Brady inflicts on his organization out of view of the public eye. This is really a PR kind of headache. And Sherman's ire and angst is probably similar to Tom's except for the fact that it's bad optics in the public domain and it's less protective of the organization. It's also likely more open and honest. For this organization who prides itself on transparency and honesty -- even devoting a day of preparation as Tell the Truth Monday -- I tend to think it's part and parcel to the environment Pete has built here. Almost as if he'd have it no other way.

Personally, I could care less what other fans think of this team. Or what is sure to be future salacious stories brought up by national beat writers. I like having this kind of access to this team. And understand how it fits in this team's culture. It's unique and I don't expect outsiders to understand how it works here. If people that can't understand that want to write exposes on what they think all this means based on their preconceptions of other generic NFL organizations -- that's fine by me. Doesn't affect how I feel about this team. I don't need the rest of the country's estimation to validate why I love this team.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Don't hate Sherm at all. One of my all time favorite Hawks players. Just get sick of his blowups/blatant refusal to ever admit he's wrong.... that's all. Hoping he puts it behind him and plays with that chip and gets another ring this year.
As far as how others see this team, I WANT people to hate the Hawks, fans and media. Makes it more satisfying knowing how much they hate the success.

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3qkbbhds said:
Don't hate Sherm at all. One of my all time favorite Hawks players. Just get sick of his blowups/blatant refusal to ever admit he's wrong.... that's all. Hoping he puts it behind him and plays with that chip and gets another ring this year.
As far as how others see this team, I WANT people to hate the Hawks, fans and media. Makes it more satisfying knowing how much they hate the success.

You are wasting your time IMO. Some people cannot differentiate between criticism and hate. Besides, the attack was on me not you.

chris98251

Reaction score
Richard Sherman tries to hold someone accountable it's destructive, if Troy Polamalu, Dione Sanders, John Lynch, does it it's being a leader.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
You could say MANY things about how much criticism Russ gets compared to lesser QB's. No matter WHAT he does, people refuse to give him the credit. Good, hopefully people continue to doubt every Seahawk.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Sherman is indeed a great player no doubt.

He likely only has a couple strong seasons left in the tank, though. He knows that as well as anyone.

The guy wants to win.

Unfortunately, his desire to win sometimes overrides common sense or what is best for the team.

Hopefully there will be less of that this season. If we can WIN that will take care of most of this behind the scenes stuff.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
If any other player besides Brady had pulled the stunt they would be gone. BB wouldn't tolerate it and he is in charge not the players.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
brimsalabim":1mtqhsl9 said:
If any other player besides Brady had pulled the stunt they would be gone. BB wouldn't tolerate it and he is in charge not the players.

TRUTH.