Who will be the seahawks starting RB by week 8?

Who will be the starter by week 8?

• Lacy

Votes: 51 50.0%
  • Rawls

Votes: 37 36.3%
  • Procise

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • Collins

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • The rookie..forget his name

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • A free agent signing

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Pope...cuz you know he will be back

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Davis

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Cyrus12

Reaction score
With all the uncertainty at the position you gotta think by week 8 they will have it figured out. Who will be the starter? Poll players added but add one if not on there...

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
If healthy, I expect Lacy.

I don't think it'll truly matter. We've built up a better committee at the position. Most teams see attrition at RB. So if someone goes down to injury for us, it's not like we'd be an outlier in that respect.

RB is a tough position. among defensive fronts, you're getting pounded by guys that have at best a 15-20 lb. advantage. At worst, almost 100 lb. advantage over you.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Because of the wear & tear that ONE RB has to endure, durability is an issue; I believe that Pete wants to implement a RB tandem to pound our opponents, and if that indeed is his plan, Lacey & Rawls would seem to be the obvious pairing.
I think Prosise has too much value and talent as a gadget player to be featured in that way.
Collins, Carson & Brown might be our insurance backups.

chris98251

Reaction score
Depends on who we play I think if they go by committee, starter one week could be relief the next and then the 3rd down guy.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Lacy has to get paid incentives just to stay in football shape. Rawls is hungry. I can't help but think that barring a true attitude shift from Lacy, it'll be Rawls nabbing the bulk of the carries by October. Assuming he's healthy.

pmedic920

Reaction score
Starter?

Does that mean who is in the game on the first offensive play?

I think we will end up going with a "committee".

Very "situational" if you will.

To be honest, I'm good with that and HOPE that our "stable" is as well.

Seymour

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":uhx5tztx said:
Lacy has to get paid incentives just to stay in football shape. Rawls is hungry. I can't help but think that barring a true attitude shift from Lacy, it'll be Rawls nabbing the bulk of the carries by October. Assuming he's healthy.

Agree, but need to add that I'm quite sure that Lacy is pretty hungry as well. :mrgreen:

ACFan

Reaction score
Hawkfish":2r18qbrn said:
Whoever is not hurt, unfortunately.

yep, Collins.

My serious answer is either Lacy or Collins, they are the only two workhorses I see who can hold up to the grind.

With either one, I think our run game will be more solid and consistent than last year.

The others can provide some flash in the pan moments that can be helpful no doubt, but you are not going to get 20+ carries a game, week in and week out from anyone else on the roster except Lacy or Collins. my opinion of course.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
chris98251":235qcrjx said:
Depends on who we play I think if they go by committee, starter one week could be relief the next and then the 3rd down guy.

Heck, could be a 3 week rotation depending on the opponent and their characteristics. I would like to see 3 on the roster for all games that gives us an advantage in resting a player. I do understand that players have attitudes and want to show off their attributes, but PC is the coach. Prefer starting with Feastmode, then Rawls, then AC. AC showed spurts of success and I want to see if he got it all. Alex Collins that is.

nanomoz

Reaction score
"Starter" will be a null term. RBBC all the way, ride the hot hand like Belichek in-game.

chris98251

Reaction score
I think Carson, Davis and Brown also are in the mix, there is going to be a physical back cut or three.

Josea16

Reaction score
ACFan":1vl8tkqo said:
Hawkfish":1vl8tkqo said:
Whoever is not hurt, unfortunately.

yep, Collins.

My serious answer is either Lacy or Collins, they are the only two workhorses I see who can hold up to the grind.

With either one, I think our run game will be more solid and consistent than last year.

The others can provide some flash in the pan moments that can be helpful no doubt, but you are not going to get 20+ carries a game, week in and week out from anyone else on the roster except Lacy or Collins. my opinion of course.
It's a good opinion though and it's the right way to use Procise and Rawls. I hope they can get away with 10-12 carries for Rawls and 5-6 for Procise with other touches in the passing game for him.

SpokaneHawks

Reaction score
I voted Lacy. Although I've got to say that I watched some highlights from the playoff game versus the Lions and Rawls was fire in that game! If he can somehow manage to stay on the field, he could still be special!

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
SpokaneHawks":3bv8xlai said:
Has running back by committee ever actually worked?

You mean like James White, Dion Lewis and Legarette Blount?

Or Tevin Coleman and Devante Freeman?

It happens all the time. Every year. There are very few feature backs anymore.

Edit. Here's a good source for RB usage: https://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stat ... mpts/2016/

As you can see, only 17 RBs in the league accounted for more than 50% of their teams rush attempts. That's about half the teams.

However I'm not convinced of the conventional wisdom that dictates that a committee approach leads to fresher legs and more efficient running. If you look at the top 10 rush averages per attempt among the rushing leaders, 7 of the top 10 were feature backs. Of the three that didn't carry 50%+, all three were injury replacements with around the same attempts as Rawls for the season. Their averages would be suspect due to low sample size.

It's difficult to nail down causes here. Averages per rush can fluctuate wildly with a small handful of explosive runs. And it's possible that teams lean on guys capable of that more -- leading to a larger percentage of carries for the team. What seems relatively clear is that guys that can hit the home run on the ground end up getting a bigger share of the work as far as rush attempts go. What would be more revealing would be mean rush yards. What is also missing is situational substitutions. Legarette Blount dominated the rush attempts for New England. But his total touches and snap count did not.

Also, you have to quantify "worked". Of the top 10 rush Y/A, only two of their respective teams made the playoffs. Of the top 10 rushers by carries percentage (typical indicator of feature back), only four of those teams reached the playoffs. There doesn't seem any real correlation at all between team success and workhorse loads (or efficient rushing yards per attempt).

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":d7t21s36 said:
SpokaneHawks":d7t21s36 said:
Has running back by committee ever actually worked?

You mean like James White, Dion Lewis and Legarette Blount?

Or Tevin Coleman and Devante Freeman?

It happens all the time. Every year. There are very few feature backs anymore.

EXACTLY....Why wouldn't you throw a fresh RB at your opponent?
It's not a new concept. :2thumbs: