Russell Wilson's Diet (article)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
http://www.espn.com/blog/seattle-se...y-4800-calorie-diet-to-cut-weight?sf94056997=

Russell Wilson apparently eats nine meals per day, totalling 4,800 calories.

This article is a good read. The biggest quote I took away, which has been brought up on this forum:

"He came in feeling as though he was too heavy and not mobile enough," Goglia said. "And he wanted to get his weight down. He was over 225. He felt as though he needed to be leaner and stronger and more agile. And that's my wheelhouse." This is a quote from Phillip Goglia, his nutritionist, whom Ciara begged Wilson to go visit this offseason.

This diet is intended to help Wilson slim down. Here is his daily diet:

Russell Wilson's Daily Meal Plan
Pre-breakfast: Tablespoon of almond butter and a tablespoon of jam
Breakfast: Two cups of cooked oatmeal, six whole eggs, fruit, chicken breast
Snack 1: Fruit and 12 almonds
Lunch: Eight ounces of protein with a yam or a cup of rice or a potato and a vegetable
Second lunch: Eight ounces of protein with a yam or a cup of rice or a potato and a vegetable
Snack 2: Fruit and 12 almonds
Snack 3: Fruit, 12 almonds and whey protein
Dinner: Fish or steak and vegetables or salad
Snack 4: Fruit and a tablespoon of molasses or shredded wheat, applesauce, almond butter and jam

The redundancy of "12 almonds" must be fate. He eats 12 almonds in honor of his fans. Woo hoo! :irishdrinkers:

Thoughts? :snack:

mikeak

Reaction score
Thoughts?

1) Glad he agreed
2) Glad he is fixing it
3) dropped 6% body fat and about 15 lbs is great news for Seahawks especially if eating more. Eating more and losing weight should mean stronger overall
4) Lacy - get on this and maybe the next contract is for 5 years......

pmedic920

Reaction score
Personally, to be honest, I can't even keep up with my own weight.

I'm 5'10", and I veri between 175 and 185.
I'm 55 years old and have bounced between those weights for 25 years or so.

I love football, i especially love Seahawks football.

I've enjoyed the the Seahawks since RW, more than any previous time frame.

Is RW the key, is his weight the key?
Idk.

I'm a "cheerleader" type of fan. I have a hard time concerning myself with 10 lbs. one way or the other, when it comes to RW.

YMMV, but "come on man", how critical are we gunna be?

pmedic920

Reaction score
I guess what I really mean is, I can't ever seeing myself saying, " if Russell was just 10lbs lighter, we would have".

If he thinks he can be better sans a couple of kilograms, so be it. Go for it Russ.

I just can't get all caught up in a players weight, especially when we are taking about a +/- of 10/15 lbs.

We should be worried about how many 10 AM starts we have.

Like we can change/ effect that too.

:{)

GoHawks

Rat

Reaction score
That's a lot of fruit for a diet intended to drop weight. Not sure how backed by science his opinions on dairy and gluten are either.

I guess that'd be the great part about working with high-end athletes on their diets, they work so much and work so hard, that pretty much anything you put them on will see results.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Rat":3l3wme9u said:
That's a lot of fruit for a diet intended to drop weight. Not sure how backed by science his opinions on dairy and gluten are either.

I guess that'd be the great part about working with high-end athletes on their diets, they work so much and work so hard, that pretty much anything you put them on will see results.

I think you answered your own question.

Yes if you were advising a normal person who's trying to lean down, no sugars, fruits or too many carbs is the way t go............but this is a high performance athlete. Obviously, 4800 calories a day.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Rat":1ppzqdxs said:

They have to drop weight but maintain energy to continue to work out

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1d3kdf8r said:
Rat":1d3kdf8r said:

You can go full ketogenic, but that takes weeks to condition your body to use fat as energy instead of carbs.

But then as a high performance athlete your fighting to keep the weight on if you're purely burning fat. Hawks have some of the best trainers and nutritionists in the league, I'm sure they know what they're doing.

How come we didn't blame them when people thought Russell was fat? They should have been the Bevell of Fat Russell!!!!

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":ntte04gk said:
Uncle Si":ntte04gk said:
Rat":ntte04gk said:

You can go full ketogenic, but that takes weeks to condition your body to use fat as energy instead of carbs.

But then as a high performance athlete your fighting to keep the weight on if you're purely burning fat. Hawks have some of the best trainers and nutritionists in the league, I'm sure they know what they're doing.

How come we didn't blame them when people thought Russell was fat? They should have been the Bevell of Fat Russell!!!!

No...that would still be Bevell himself. Bevell's play calling drove Russell to compulsive mac-n-cheese consumption. :twisted:

mikeak

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3s07j2hy said:
Uncle Si":3s07j2hy said:
Rat":3s07j2hy said:

Because at the end of the day the player eats what he wants.

The player does not change play-calls as they wish

On the part about "anything will show result". That would be assuming that they are also changing their workout regime. If RW only changed his diet then the change is due to the diet and as noted above he needs enough energy to continue working out.

Was it Santana that changed offseason to a low-carb diet a few years ago? Might have been a different pitcher but didn't work out great as I recall. It is great for the common person but hard to do for a professional athlete

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
mikeak":20avwmlq said:
Sgt. Largent":20avwmlq said:
Uncle Si":20avwmlq said:
Rat":20avwmlq said:

Because at the end of the day the player eats what he wants.

The player does not change play-calls as they wish

On the part about "anything will show result". That would be assuming that they are also changing their workout regime. If RW only changed his diet then the change is due to the diet and as noted above he needs enough energy to continue working out.

Was it Santana that changed offseason to a low-carb diet a few years ago? Might have been a different pitcher but didn't work out great as I recall. It is great for the common person but hard to do for a professional athlete

Jokes, they're just jokes.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
As for bow important this is....it's big, IMO. When you go through an offseason to add weight or muscle there is normally a loss of flexibility and/or explosion.

RW was visibly slower last year pre-injury. Likely enough that he may not have been caught from behind and gone down like a sack of potatoes to get injured in the first place.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
vin.couve12":3es3c0td said:
As for bow important this is....it's big, IMO. When you go through an offseason to add weight or muscle there is normally a loss of flexibility and/or explosion.

RW was visibly slower last year pre-injury. Likely enough that he may not have been caught from behind and gone down like a sack of potatoes to get injured in the first place.

I take all this stuff with a grain of salt.

It's the off season, everyone looks amazing, everyone's in great shape, everyone's ahead of schedule, everyone's coming into camp in the best shape of their careers!!!

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":6g9t34wj said:
vin.couve12":6g9t34wj said:

I take all this stuff with a grain of salt.

It's the off season, everyone looks amazing, everyone's in great shape, everyone's ahead of schedule, everyone's coming into camp in the best shape of their careers!!!

Yep, and then poof we manage 15 points in two games to start the season like last year.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Rat":331wvzvv said:

Fruit has a lot of natural sugar that the body can break down with a high metabolism. Most athletes have a high metabolism. Starches dont break down as easily. Oatmeal sticks to the body like glue holding him together so to speak.

Almost like eggs bacon and toast. Eggs are the slop, bacon is the energy, and toast is what combines them to allow the body to digest it all. Oatmeal is his combiner.

After a hard night, I used to do a lot of biscuits and gravy because it stuck to my stomach and I was able to run the extra calories out of my body by lunch time. Then a bit of lunch and work, then a workout for hour and a half and then back home for the next round. Sounds like he has a great regimen.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
vin.couve12":3tdi8nwv said:

What are you talking about? Pre Injury? He was injured on the first drive of the third quarter of game one.!

Status
Not open for further replies.