The Trend in Offensive Personnel Groups (Analysis)

Jville

Reaction score
It's the 6 week calm before the storm. Now is the time to become oriented and get up to speed with recent NFL trends. In the spirit of finding and offering quality articles and presentations with meaningful detail, I volunteer this linked presentation >>> [urltargetblank]http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2017/2016-offensive-personnel-analysis[/urltargetblank]

201620Personnel

Three thoughts .......

1st ..... is that the above provides visual motivation in moving from base to nickle defense as the increasingly prevalent personnel grouping on the defensive side of the line of scrimmage.

2nd .... teams are trending toward using less power 21 personnel. Some teams might consider exploiting that trend. Anyone think that contributed to the 49er decision to boldly ante up for a targeted fullback? As I recall, the Seahawks have, at times, carried two fullbacks.

3rd ..... Seahawks continue to carry versatile offensive players that can line up at multiple positions. It makes the offensive less predictable IMHO. I'd like to see the Seahawks employ more of the personnel groupings for which opponents are less prepared and practiced. Given enough tight ends on the roster, thirteen personnel looks intriguing.

P.S. Here is another link to a useful visual (with detail) on the subject from Sharps Football Stats >>> [urltargetblank]https://www.sharpfootballstats.com/personnel-grouping-frequency.html[/urltargetblank]

Enjoy ........ times running out to prepare for the coming storm.

Go Hawks!

sdog1981

Reaction score
The Seahawks were league average running that grouping 63% of the time. They were also below average in production out of that grouping.

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
^^^
Seattle's offensive success rate out of 11 personnel was indeed below league average. Despite, Seahawk reliance on 11 personnel being 4% higher than league average at 64% compared to a 60% league average.

On the defensive side of the ball ........ could it be that Seahawk statistical trends took a definitive turn as league usage of 11 personnel climbed to over 50% ?

201620Personnel
RunPassDefenseExplosivePlays
Screen Shot 2017 06 21 at 73523 AM
Interesting trio of articles with visual graphics >>>> [urltargetblank]http://www.hawkblogger.com/2017/07/seahawks-identity-crisis-part-iii-explosive-plays.html[/urltargetblank]

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
Sometimes, it is the absence of discussion that speaks more loudly than lively discourse. The silence in this thread is loud. I thought a couple of (eye candy) graphics on a NFL trend might have precipitated some reflections on this years draft criterion. Such as ...... did the trend encourage an off season interest in adding more interior rush and more in the way of big versatile defensive backs to further outfit Seattle's transition to a 42-nickle era? ............ Silence .... lots of it. :?

The lack of response is instructive. Surely blaming others will populate the forum again this season. Lots of no brainier "so and so sucks" posts again in 2017. That just seems so lazy and disconnected. I don't understand why peeling back the layers of an onion scare off so many. Surely the wages of ignorance has made far more people cry than any onion.

I guess we all have our own preferences and style :229031_shrug:

Go Hawks!

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Is this the most subtle blame Bevell post ever?

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":l7a55l3f said:
No blame in Jville's thought-provoking provided info. Just a thorough assessment of how the league is changing in personnel groupings through the past six seasons.

Seymour

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":1ztvwn9z said:
UK_Seahawk":1ztvwn9z said:
No blame in Jville's thought-provoking provided info. Just a thorough assessment of how the league is changing in personnel groupings through the past six seasons.

Should we turn this into a Bevell thread to pick it up then? :twisted: :snack:

sdog1981

Reaction score
Jville":3iq4zpbz said:
Sometimes, it is the absence of discussion that speaks more loudly than lively discourse. The silence in this thread is loud. I thought a couple of (eye candy) graphics on a NFL trend might have precipitated some reflections on this years draft criterion. Such as ...... did the trend encourage an off season interest in adding more interior rush and more in the way of big versatile defensive backs to further outfit Seattle's transition to a 42-nickle era?

This board had two very full discussions on the 425 defense even with articles and links to the Seahawks coaching staff going down to TCU to learn from one of the pioneers of the defense. One was almost a year ago during the second week of training camp and a second one was had this past January. People have written 2000 word posts on the topic.

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
sdog1981":7iwozr90 said:
Jville":7iwozr90 said:
Sometimes, it is the absence of discussion that speaks more loudly than lively discourse. The silence in this thread is loud. I thought a couple of (eye candy) graphics on a NFL trend might have precipitated some reflections on this years draft criterion. Such as ...... did the trend encourage an off season interest in adding more interior rush and more in the way of big versatile defensive backs to further outfit Seattle's transition to a 42-nickle era?

This board had two very full discussions on the 425 defense even with articles and links to the Seahawks coaching staff going down to TCU to learn from one of the pioneers of the defense. One was almost a year ago during the second week of training camp and a second one was had this past January. People have written 2000 word posts on the topic.

Interest in the 42 nickle is but one example of a number of possible trend driven subjects. What happen last year and this January is pre-draft history. Trends do impact draft criteria and personnel changes. With team building a never ending endeavor and on going process, a lot has happen and changed since January.

Any fan who left their buggy stuck in the mud last January, might enjoy freeing it up and rolling again.

Go Hawks!

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Jville the answer to your concern regarding lack of response can be found on the list of number of people actually present on the site. The echo is loud recently, b/c many are taking time off for the summer.

Interesting post and as ever you bring a lot of excellent information to the site. I appreciate your contribtions.

Lots to think about.

I find the give away take away stats the most interesting and the downward trending variation is a clear area for discussion.