I met Jon Kitna today

Seafan

Reaction score
Rsz 1kitna  greysonI spent Friday and Saturday at College Station, Texas "enjoying" the Texas 7 Vs 7 football tournament with my son. I saw Jon Kitna and went up to speak with him. Really cool guy. He's the head coach at Waxahachie High School and players from his team formed one of the 64 teams in the tournament. High school coaches aren't allowed to coach their teams outside of the school year but he was there to watch his players. His whole family was there, I recognized his wife from seeing video of her during the Erickson days. Tough tournament, my son played 8 games in two days in 100 degree heat and high humidity. We finished 4th out of 64.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
That's awesome! Kitna has always been a personal favorite of mine too. Enjoyed visiting with him back in the Cheney training camp days.

Congratulations to your son and his team for doing so well

minormillikin

Reaction score
Kitna is one of my favorite Seahawks of all time. He seems like a good guy and extra points for a local guy who went to Central with no expectation of doing anything after college other than teaching math. He had some success as a journeyman qb, starting by going 8-0 on the Seahawks (ended up 9-7, back when that was a really good record for the Seahawks).

I liked how he came back to his own high school in Tacoma to teach and coach. I wasn't crazy about him leaving for the high school football mecca in Texas, but it's probably a great opportunity for a second career.

Cool that you met him and also I bet that's some good football going on at that tournament, huh?

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
I got to meet him a few times in pretty much the same situation when he was coaching at Lincoln. My kid was playing in 7 on 7 for Bethel and the Lincoln team was there- but Kitna was in the stands. Nice guy, really friendly. Probably helped that I'm a Lincoln grad as well.

pmedic920

Reaction score
Way cool.

Wish I had known y'all were coming ahead of time.
You weren't far from me (relatively speaking) I would have tried to head over and meet you.

Ozzy

Reaction score
That's awesome, Kitna has always been a personal favorite.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
I always wanted to know the real story what he did to piss Holmgren off so much that we wound up starting Glass Huard.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":2fun0ojh said:
I always wanted to know the real story what he did to piss Holmgren off so much that we wound up starting Glass Huard.

Good question. Perhaps he was getting a bit too reckless for Holmgren's taste.

Then again, he did coach Favre who was one of the more reckless QBS in history so who knows..

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Jerhawk":3sjyjdar said:
Hawkstorian":3sjyjdar said:

Good question. Perhaps he was getting a bit too reckless for Holmgren's taste.

Then again, he did coach Favre who was one of the more reckless QBS in history so who knows..
Didn't he have a pretty acrimonious relationship with Favre too? I suppose in that case, though, the talent of Favre outweighed the benefit of getting into a power struggle.

Good to see Kitna putting his knowledge to good use in the prep ranks.

chris98251

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":1ugtl11h said:

He was hand picked by Dennis Erickson I think was enough, purging the roster of the last regime and Kitna being a Undrafted guy made it easy for him to make way for Dilfer then Hass.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Also one of my all-time favorite Seahawks as well. I've told the story 10 times on .NET and I will say it an 11th time...

Never forget standing in the rain after a home game win to have players sign a poster for a disabled fan (this was when NET was born, known as Seahawks98.com) and so many players would shuffle past us without bothering to sign anything, meanwhile Kitna, who, by the way, was the star of the game, signed for EVERY FAN in the rain.

Never forgot that and never will.

CLASS.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":11y85nis said:

He wasn't any good and read a blitz like Floyd Mayweather reads a book?

That'd be my first guess.

He seemed like a stand-up dude but as a quarterback he just wasn't very good once the league figured him out.