The Blair Walsh Project??

Seymour

Reaction score
Just curious if anyone has heard if we've brought any UDFA in to compete with Walsh? With our red zone issues last season, combined with the Walsh yips he got before getting released, this could bite us in the ass if things go as they did in 2016.
Somewhere I remember reading in minicamp that he was missing many attempts. Hopefully he figures it out and is solid, but also I hope Pete doesn't bank too heavily on him, and brings in someone legit.

This article says he has no competition at the moment....

http://sports.mynorthwest.com/299727/henderson-kicker-is-the-seahawks-biggest-roster-concern/

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Seymour":33jyighy said:
Just curious if anyone has heard if we've brought any UDFA in to compete with Walsh? With our red zone issues last season, combined with the Walsh yips he got before getting released, this could bite us in the ass if things go as they did in 2016.
Somewhere I remember reading in minicamp that he was missing many attempts. Hopefully he figures it out and is solid, but also I hope Pete doesn't bank too heavily on him, and brings in someone legit.

This article says he has no competition at the moment....

http://sports.mynorthwest.com/299727/henderson-kicker-is-the-seahawks-biggest-roster-concern/
The kicker is one of my biggest concerns going into the season . Can understand letting Housch go because of the $$$ and an off year last year, was hoping they'd find a better option than Walsh though.

chris98251

Reaction score
Well it will make for interesting conversation this season, was it the Long Snapper, The Holder or the Kicker who screwed the pooch.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
I don't mean to sound like I've been chugging the kool aid, but c'mon guys - we're talking about the most successful coaching and recruiting staff in Seahawks history here - they are not going to have an glaring omissions. If they are not bringing in competition, it's because none is required.

seabowl

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":27k65820 said:
I don't mean to sound like I've been chugging the kool aid, but c'mon guys - we're talking about the most successful coaching and recruiting staff in Seahawks history here - they are not going to have an glaring omissions. If they are not bringing in competition, it's because none is required.

Wow, Tom Cable reads .Net. Welcome Tom!!!

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":29an9zjr said:

They just did last year with oline and cost cutting, so no kool aid for me on Walsh thanks. Yes they are good, no they are no perfect.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":iynmi5wm said:
In the history of the Seahawks, Pete DELIVERS A Super Bowl trophy, and a challenge for the second in the following Year, yet some folks just have to SNIVEL......Pretty pathetic eh?

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
scutterhawk":3rpadp4s said:
KiwiHawk":3rpadp4s said:
In the history of the Seahawks, Pete DELIVERS A Super Bowl trophy, and a challenge for the second in the following Year, yet some folks just have to SNIVEL......Pretty pathetic eh?

Who is sniveling? It is a simple question and SOP to have competition to push each other. This team was built on competition last I checked. Remain calm....

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Seymour":qceta6k8 said:
Somewhere I remember reading in minicamp that he was missing many attempts.

Makes an accusation but doesn't back it up with evidence. A career at ESPN awaits you sir.

massari

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":1xniqonr said:
Seymour":1xniqonr said:

Makes an accusation but doesn't back it up with evidence. A career at ESPN awaits you sir.
Or CNN/NBC/Mainstream media

Blair Walsh has made 84% of FG's while Haush has made 87% for his career in the regular season. Is it really that big of a difference?

After Haush's first season with the Hawks, his career FG% was only at 78%.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":2t06c7s9 said:
Seymour":2t06c7s9 said:

Brock & Salk were talking about it the day after one of their visits during OTAs. Salk went on about how he didn't know how to judge anyone without pads on, but specifically asked if the purpose was to actually make the kicks during camp or if they were doing something else as a training exercise. Brock responded that, yeah, they were trying to make them. Walsh was at least having issues that day.

SkyHawks16

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":14n69nf1 said:
Seymour":14n69nf1 said:

He didnt lie..here.

The Seahawks’ media guidelines prohibit reporters from detailing what happened on the field during organized team activities and minicamp. Generally speaking, Walsh’s performance was inconsistent. Accuracy, not leg strength, was usually the issue. Granted, the handful of kicks he attempted in team periods during each practice that was open to the media represented only a fraction of what he’s shown the team this offseason. And some of those kicks were from from distances well beyond chip-shot range. Most were outdoors.

https://sports.mynorthwest.com/299727/h ... r-concern/

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":1ekevzhr said:
Seymour":1ekevzhr said:

Then pay attention yourself and you don't have to rely on others for your information is my suggestion. :roll:

Also, indications happen to be right in the article I linked....read much??

"Generally speaking, Walsh’s performance was inconsistent. Accuracy, not leg strength, was usually the issue."

ivotuk

Reaction score
Some of you need to really get back to commenting on the subject at hand, football and football players, and avoid commenting on the posting abilities or inabilities of others. It serves no purpose except to derail the thread.

Saying that others are "sniveling" is a round about way of calling another poster names, and has no business in any thread outside of the shack. :141847_bnono:

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
seabowl":3h6g72f0 said:
KiwiHawk":3h6g72f0 said:

Wow, Tom Cable reads .Net. Welcome Tom!!!

Seymour":3h6g72f0 said:
They just did last year with oline and cost cutting, so no kool aid for me on Walsh thanks. Yes they are good, no they are no perfect.

I've already been over this but I will summarize for new players:

Team took a risk on inexperienced OL to start the season betting on RW mobility to offset line deficiencies (please note the recognition of the deficiencies on the line).
RW initial injury caused by freak accident (freakish because Suh usually does this sort of thing on purpose). RW was well outside pocket at the time, extending the play.
RW secondary (and more serious) injury caused by illegal horsecollar tackle, which is the very injury that caused horsecollar tackles to be made illegal. RW was well outside pocket at the time, extending the play, slowed by previous injury.
RW was not adequately compensating for inexperienced OL and continued to attempt to extend plays instead of getting rid of the ball quickly to slow pass rush.
OL was designed for run blocking which was rendered moot by multiple injuries at the RB position forcing a change of offensive game plan to one the OL was ill-suited for, which was exacerbated by RW injury and unwillingness/inability to change style to protect himself more.

TL:DR version - Front office took a calculated risk at OL and for a variety of reasons not all directly related to the OL the risk failed.

Here's the thing: I agreed with the risk at the time, and even after last season I still agree it was an acceptable risk that simply failed to pay off, with many thanks to Murphy's Law.

As for Walsh, he had a marginally better starting field position than Hauschka which is also a consideration when assessing a kicker and perhaps we are also forgetting the very low trajectory of Hauschka's kicks that resulted in 5(!) blocked extra points and one blocked field goal.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":1q94a7j8 said:
TL:DR version - Front office took a calculated risk at OL and for a variety of reasons not all directly related to the OL the risk failed.

Excellent analysis

KiwiHawk":1q94a7j8 said:
RW initial injury caused by freak accident (freakish because Suh usually does this sort of thing on purpose).

This made me laugh because it's so true, and I felt the same way at the time. Huh, an injury that was actually unintentional for once.