Sherman/Guarantees/CBA **long**

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
On Richard Sherman, Guaranteed Contracts and the next CBA

The current CBA was put in place in 2011 and given the fact that time moves inexorably forward we are approaching the next labor cliff in just 4 short years. It is fortunate that the sabre rattling is starting early because hopefully that means either or both sides are interesting in having real talks before we enter the brinksmanship that inevitably happens at the end of a sports labor deal.

The other hot button topic these days are the huge guaranteed contracts being announced in the NBA, along with the long standing stupid deals MLB continues to churn out. NFL players, including superstars like Richard Sherman are taking notice and speaking up, so what should fans think?

First off, let me start with Richard Sherman the player and NFLPA mouthpiece. Sherman is an all-time great Seahawk, future hall of famer, and personal favorite. I think it’s totally off base to criticize him personally for standing up for issues important to the union. Fundamentally, he’s completely right that for the players to enact real change, they need to keep together and miss games if necessary. Now, do I think that will happen? Probably not, but remember we’re in sabre rattling season. Don’t blame Sherman for doing his part. Who else is speaking for the union?

The one issue I disagree with Richard Sherman on is the concept of contracts being fully guaranteed. In theory, it makes sense from his perspective but the big problem is the NFL salary cap is much more rigid than the NBA. MLB has no real cap. If an NFL team guarantees a contract, it would inevitably lead to more dead money, which would lead to less money for current players. Guaranteed contracts just allocate dollars from current younger players to older injured players. Teams get this, so contracts would be shorter and smaller.

As a fan, what would you want to see your team do with limited resources? Sonics fans saw their team give a huge long-term deal to an alcoholic. Guaranteed dollars are a huge risk. MLB doesn’t have a cap so the silly deals they dole out aren’t a huge problem.

The issue of guaranteed contracts is huge red herring. It just addresses splitting a fixed pie differently but doesn’t addresses the size of the pie. If NFL players want real financial improvements in their next CBA there are three things they should be focused on.

1) Get rid of the salary cap. Look, NFL owners will shut down the league for two straight years before they let this happen but players have a great argument that it’s the way to go. MLB seems to be doing OK. Let the marketplace truly determine contracts not some arbitrary percentage of revenue. Eliminate the cap and guaranteed dollars would skyrocket. The Holy Grail for the NFLPA but almost no chance the owners will let this happen.

2) Reform the concept of “minimum spend”. The current CBA has a mechanism in place for minimum spending but it clearly isn’t working. As we enter the 2017 season there is $615,000,000 in unused cap room that owners are saving and players are losing. San Francisco alone has over $66M in available space. And yet, every team has met the obligation for “minimum” spending. This is a complete shaft for the players. One option could be to allow a mechanism for teams with extra cap space to trade those dollars to teams that need cap. This happened somewhat with the trade of Brock Osweiler from Houston to Cleveland but even with that trade Houston still has nearly $31M in cap space, so that trade had more to do with saving face than truly re-allocating cap dollars.

3) Get a bigger piece of the pie. In the end the players should be working primarily on increasing the pie, which means increasing not only the percentage of “defined gross revenues” but making sure gross revenue encompass all the new revenue streams the NFL can capitalize on. Sitting across the table from the Commissioner this is really the only thing the matters, because unless they make their pie bigger, they’re just fighting amongst themselves over the scraps.

One last comment on the great Richard Sherman. I totally understand that he sees a huge injustice in the control his contract gives to the team in the non-guaranteed years. My only council to him should he ask it would be: “How do we truly shake as much dollars out of the billionaires to trickle down to the millionaires to continue to provide outstanding entertainment to the hundredaires who actually buy the tickets?”

My answer? Work on making the pie bigger and stop worrying about how the pie is divided among your members.

sdog1981

Reaction score
One thing that very few people are talking about is the NBA is a double salary cap league. They cap how much a team can spend 99 million on a maximum of 15 players 6.6 million per player and they cap the maximum amount a team can pay one player at 35 million and 10 seasons.

Compared to the NFL cap system.

167 million/ 51 players are around 3.2 million per player but the NFL has no cap on how much one player can get paid.

NFL players are not mad that LeBron gets 35 million per-season they are mad that Timofey Mozgov gets 15 million per season and that Tim Hardaway Jr gets 71 million over 4 seasons. because NBA teams have to meet the salary cap floor.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":2e255zko said:
Great points.

Just piggy backing on your awesome work. Always love to see you post around here.

Josea16

Reaction score
sdog1981":28h6agjn said:
One thing that very few people are talking about is the NBA is a double salary cap league. They cap how much a team can spend 99 million on a maximum of 15 players 6.6 million per player and they cap the maximum amount a team can pay one player at 35 million and 10 seasons.

Compared to the NFL cap system.

167 million/ 51 players are around 3.2 million per player but the NFL has no cap on how much one player can get paid.

NFL players are not mad that LeBron gets 35 million per-season they are mad that Timofey Mozgov gets 15 million per season and that Tim Hardaway Jr gets 71 million over 4 seasons. because NBA teams have to meet the salary cap floor.
Good explanation of the actual issue. Non elite veterans are being screwed because of the rookie wage scale. My opinion? Screw them harder. The NBA and especially MLB screwed everything ovee. Time to balance the scales already. I don't care and anything that stops the monopoly money bullshit I'm in.

mikeak

Reaction score
If you make $10 million / year and go on strike that means you would need to get an additional $2.5M per year for four years longer.

This is why the last round of negotiations led to a signed contract. Ask the NHL players how it worked out for hem. In the end they fought over pennies while they missed out on millions.

c_hawkbob

Reaction score
Guaranteed contracts are on the way regardless of the upcoming labor situation. The top half of the draft's first round all the contracts are winding up fully guaranteed already.

And current contracts for star players carry heavy guarantee that are getting heavier all the time. All that'll happen is that they will stop tacking on the imaginary (non guaranteed) portion of contracts going forward and we'll have Ndamukong Suh signing a 3 year $60M contract (the guaranteed portion) instead of the pretend 6 year $114M contract they advertised.

One important difference may remain in that the player will likely have to be available to play each year of the contract to qualify for that year's guarantee.

SeahawkPQ

Reaction score
The difference between the nfl and the nba/mlb is the frequency of career ending injuries. It would be bad for teams and fans and teammates to be saddled with mega contracts for a player that can no longer perform due to these unpredictable but not so rare accidents. Guarenteed contracts would mainly benefit the already well off superstars at the expense of everyone else.

The previous poster was correct, the players should be negotiating for a bigger piece of the pie in terms of salary caps and floors.

drcool

Reaction score
I am sure there are problems with this that I am not thinking about but what if they all agreed to guaranteed contracts but if a player was cut the remaining portion of his salary didn't count against the cap. The players would get their money and the owners could get rid of a player they didn't want any more and still be able to bring another quality player in.

Again, this would lead to more "real" contracts without the stupid worthless years thrown on the end that everyone knows will never be paid.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
drcool":3pk71p43 said:
I am sure there are problems with this that I am not thinking about but what if they all agreed to guaranteed contracts but if a player was cut the remaining portion of his salary didn't count against the cap. The players would get their money and the owners could get rid of a player they didn't want any more and still be able to bring another quality player in.

Again, this would lead to more "real" contracts without the stupid worthless years thrown on the end that everyone knows will never be paid.

Yeah, I absolutely agree with you and think you're on to something.

The PROBLEM with it is that if dead guaranteed money doesn't count against the salary cap the rich teams would essentially use it to skirt the salary cap.

Here's the way around that:

1) You entirely get rid of the comp pick formula, which no longer serves its original intention and these days is almost exclusively just strategically misused to accumulate free draft picks (i.e. it REWARDS teams for not trying to keep their team together).

2) In replace of the current comp pick formula, you have a comp formula that each year rewards additional draft picks to the teams with the LOWEST amount of non-salary cap counted dead money on their books that year in descending order.

With that you get (1) guaranteed contracts, that (2) if the team cuts the players they still have to pay for it financially but the team doesn't get totally screwed for a big bad bet/devastating injury on their salary cap, with (3) a system that punishes teams that misuse the leniency of having dead money not count against the cap by (4) REWARDING the teams who don't treat it as funny money with additional draft picks.

The best part is in the process you get rid of the ridiculous monstrosity that has become the comp pick formula.

I'm coming up with this as I go so I could VERY WELL be missing something, but that's my pitch. :2thumbs:

AgentDib

Reaction score
The primary goal should be parity and the current NFL salary structure is excellent in this regard. Players should negotiate for whatever they think they can get, but anything they do end up with that reduces parity will ultimately make the product less compelling.

Firm salary caps increase parity while allowing teams to exceed them by paying luxury tax decreases parity.

Guaranteed contracts reduce parity (MLB). They increase the inertia of spending decisions and bad moves cripple franchises for half a decade rather than just that season.

Individual contract limits reduce parity (NBA) via price ceilings. Superstars are underpaid and therefore teams with superstars outperform those who do not have them.

Disconnecting the salary cap from actual dollars spent may sound attractive but realize that the CBA negotiations around salary caps are based on a specific revenue split going to players. If teams would be paying for cut players separately that would need to come out of that pool and thus the players on active rosters would be getting paid less in exchange. Whether that makes sense for the players themselves would be up to them but it isn't just magically increasing the amount of money everybody gets.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Having dead money not come out of the formal revenue split which sets the salary cap (which is the only way to do it in my proposal) further incentivizes teams to not treat it as funny money.

Heck, toss a dead money tax on top of that which which gets distributed to other teams and goes on top of the revenue split and adjusts the salary cap and now we're REALLY talking something.

The only problem with the NBA luxury tax is it can be used to go over the cap. This can't. It's a luxury tax on dead money from guaranteed contracts, meaning your both paying and getting taxed for cheating the system.

The owners would never agree to it because it means tyat like everyone else in the world they'd actually be held accountable for the contracts they signed, but if they truly want parity they'd jump all over it.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
One of the main reasons the NFL is the greatest sports league in the US is because of one thing.............parity. You could certainly make an argument that THE main reason is the explosion of fantasy football and gambling.

But for the sake of this argument, it's parity. Each and every year EVERY team has the chance to go from 4-12 to 12-4 if they build their team properly, draft well and stay away from contract guaranteeing franchise killers.

The combo of a hard cap and non guaranteed contracts allows parity.

So I'm perfectly fine with the current structure of the CBA. It allows for the elite stars that drive ratings and thus revenue to have the leverage to get the best guaranteed contracts. It also allows for long snappers to make 600k a year.

You blow up the cap and allow guaranteed contracts, that'd create an MLB and NBA scenario, where you have 75% of the stars going to the same 5-6 teams, and everyone else is out of contention before the season even starts.

mikeak

Reaction score
drcool":2779tt24 said:

That would get rid of the cap. All you do is sign players with large amounts at the end of the contract to pay for prior years, then you cut them at the end of the career - they collect the money and you just avoided the cap hit.

So what if you got some other draft compensation etc - you could have ten mega stars on your team, signed to minimum salary for four years with huge amounts in the fifth year - cut them in year five and you banked two superbowls

Would work great for a few teams, bad for others and horrible for the league

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
sdog1981":3qst0wlt said:
Hawkstorian":3qst0wlt said:
Great points.

Just piggy backing on your awesome work. Always love to see you post around here.

Agreed. A throwback to the Golden Years of NET.

Attachments

• Blank-black-T-shirt.jpg
    Blank-black-T-shirt.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 3,654

ChiefHawk

Reaction score
I think we will see a modification, not a fundamental change.

A higher dedicated line item going to player healthcare collectively as a league is probably a significant statement, but would have its own issues (who administers this? how are players compensated? etc)

A reduction in the Rookie contract length will probably happen, and an increase in veteran minimums should happen.

In my opinion, teams should be on the hook for vet minimums for a player they signed to an absurd vapor contract and later cut. Thus, when those shell-game contracts came to the cliff they intentionally designed into them to make them look big, and the team cuts the player, the team is at least on the hook for the vet minimum for the length of the original contract.

It is not much, but at least it would begin to de-incetivise the faux contracts.

How much SHOULD contracts be? Maybe a percentage of the take is appropriate after vet minimums.

mikeak

Reaction score
^ The issue with that is that it is yet another reason why teams will sign UDFA guys over veterans. It would work against veterans so it will never be put in place. I understand the reason behind it but it would backfire.

I guess I don't care about "vapor contracts". Like I am trying to understand what is negative about it.....it doesn't impact me as a fan. When I look at contracts I do look at the reasonable years which often goes above the guaranteed amounts but frequently ignores the final year.

The final year does help the player as well. If you are going to make them play the final year then make it hurt - if not there is incentive to both player and team to redo the contract before the final year.

What I would really like to see is a 5% of the salary goes to a retirement account setup. I don't think it exists but I think some money the players can't touch would help everyone out. This would be different than just the pension they get so something like a 401k but would have to be structured differently as the 401k maxes out really quickly

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Sherman's tweet about hoping fans take a stand was naive IMO.

Fans are fans of their team first, players 2nd. So following that logic, we PREFER the owners and teams have the advantage when it comes to player contracts.

OP
OP
Hawkstorian

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2echdsvi said:
Sherman's tweet about hoping fans take a stand was naive IMO.

Fans are fans of their team first, players 2nd. So following that logic, we PREFER the owners and teams have the advantage when it comes to player contracts.

100% agreed. It's like when some TV station gets kicked off the air by a cable company. The station wants viewers to take their side. Uh, wait a second that cable company is the one trying to keep costs down.

Latest posts