Training Camp: Wilson looks good. Earl Thomas a little slow.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Wilson is def. leaner coming into this season. More bounce. Snapping those passes. Seems looser/more relaxed. Guys don't seem to be razzing him and/or ignoring him as much as previous camps. Bodes well for a strong season if he stays healthy.

Heard Pete said Earl came into camp the best he's been in the last 3-4 years.

NOPE.

Earl actually looks a little slow. His legs are much bigger. That one pic I posted here earlier wasn't a weird angle. His legs are huge and it seems to be slowing him down some. Maybe he is still holding back, taking it easy, feeling it out. Hope that's what it is because he wasn't the same Earl Thomas. Maybe 80% and those legs are screaming muscle pull/tear to me.

Back on the upside - Jimmy Graham might very well be the most remarkable presence on the field this Training Camp. He looks so fast, so strong - and is catching passes with such smooth power it is astonishing this team hasn't figured out how to more fully utilize him yet. Maybe this will be the season that finally happens.

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
With a teammate whose body seems to be made out of vibranium flying around and converging in your airspace, I almost can't blame Earl after the injury last year.

All jokes aside, I'm hoping he's just easing back in. Hoping this isn't Russ2.0. We'll have to see.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Oh no.

Body image consulting continues.

Doubt his legs are bigger after being in a cast for so long and not being able to lift much on it for much longer than that.

But the internet doesn't make me as smart as others for some reason.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Earl said the receivers kind of got the best of him today, but he's just getting back into it and has to learn to trust the leg regardless of whether or not he's anywhere between 90-100%.

It takes a while. It'll be all to the good.

Pie Romania

Reaction score
vin.couve12":2a7kre7r said:
Earl said the receivers kind of got the best of him today, but he's just getting back into it and has to learn to trust the leg regardless of whether or not he's anywhere between 90-100%.

It takes a while. It'll be all to the good.

Yep. Coming back from a significant injury, a lot of players don't give 100% effort as they prefer to limit potential for re-injury as much as they can during the recovery process. I'm fine with him holding back and protecting himself during this time since we know the guy will still give 100% when it matters for his brothers beside him. If he's showing similar signs though Week 1 of the Regular Season, then I'll be worried.

nategreat

Reaction score
No offense OP, but I have more faith in Pete and Earl's own comments than I do anyone here. Yes, any of you :lol:

That sounded harsh, I love you all. Most of you anyway.

OP
OP
S

semiahmoo

Reaction score
nategreat":10vrp5f1 said:
No offense OP, but I have more faith in Pete and Earl's own comments than I do anyone here. Yes, any of you :lol:

That sounded harsh, I love you all. Most of you anyway.

None taken.

I'm confident in my own ability to see what's there.

I hope the best for Earl, but so far he's looking shaky out there. Could be the "ease on back" thing, but he's moving different. Not just slower but different. That worries me.

And yes, his legs are huge. He def. did some kind of maga-weight training on them. Like he was squatting cars all summer.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Wow the body police joke really has legs here doesn't it. :177692:

Here's an article by Gregg Bell where he quotes Earl specifically talking about how he isn't going at it 100%.

http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/nf ... 56507.html

Kam's biceps are looking pretty big, wonder of they're going to slow him down so much he won't be able to reach out and break up passes?

sc85sis

Reaction score
Earl should be a bit slower right now. He was focused on rehabbing a major leg break, not training the way he normally would.

I'm glad to hear he's allowing himself to ease into it a bit.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I'm GLAD to hear he looks slow. He's incredibly fast, but at this point, he should be easing in to it. You can bet they are being very careful with him. I doubt he plays much at all in the pre-season.

Seymour

Reaction score
adeltaY":3knoklo4 said:
Wow the body police joke really has legs here doesn't it. :177692:

Here's an article by Gregg Bell where he quotes Earl specifically talking about how he isn't going at it 100%.

Kam's biceps are looking pretty big, wonder of they're going to slow him down so much he won't be able to reach out and break up passes?

LOL. Nice to see you catch on pretty quick here. :2thumbs:

sutz

Reaction score
Smellyman":vnvjt483 said:
Oh no.

Doubt his legs are bigger after being in a cast for so long and not being able to lift much on it for much longer than that.

Hmmm, based on photographic evidence, I'd say it's true, his legs are a bit bigger, especially in the calf area. As for "being in a cast for so long" I imagine he's been out of a cast for several months and has been working on his lower leg strength to reclaim his former athleticism and help build up for prevention of future problems. I know I would.

Having said that, I think the critiquing of Russ's body was a bit weird last season (and apparently continuing this year).

Seymour

Reaction score

Hawkfish

Reaction score
“I’m just easing into things right now,” Thomas said. “Today was the first day in pads; I haven’t been in pads in a very long time. It kind of felt different in a way, because we’ve been playing seven on seven (in helmets and shorts) basically the whole (time since last season).

“But I’m easing into it.”

Whoa! Earl Thomas “easing into”... anything?

OP
OP
S

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Hawkfish":3vf9nbzx said:
“I’m just easing into things right now,” Thomas said. “Today was the first day in pads; I haven’t been in pads in a very long time. It kind of felt different in a way, because we’ve been playing seven on seven (in helmets and shorts) basically the whole (time since last season).

“But I’m easing into it.”

Whoa! Earl Thomas “easing into”... anything?

Good work!

That said - he's not just running slower but running different.

Could be the added bulk in his legs or worry over the injured leg/ age,??

Have no problem with him taking it easy. Am a bit worried he overcompensated with the added bulk in his legs. As I said, they scream muscle tear/pull now...

jammerhawk

Reaction score
It's very early and peeps keep on trying to find reasons why the Hawks D will not regain it's #1 scoring D title.

Chancellor will be gone = wrong

Earl is not the same after his injury and is slow = we'll see, but I doubt it.

I predict the D will regain their #1 position this season.

OP
OP
S

semiahmoo

Reaction score
jammerhawk":2vid3acv said:
It's very early and peeps keep on trying to find reasons why the Hawks D will not regain it's #1 scoring D title.

Chancellor will be gone = wrong

Earl is not the same after his injury and is slow = we'll see, but I doubt it.

I predict the D will regain their #1 position this season.

Maybe. Hope so.

Fact is, Earl's different gait/movement is being noticed at camp.

Different might not be confirmation of "bad" - but it's something to keep an eye on.

Smellyman

Reaction score
sutz":p3byjdau said:
Smellyman":p3byjdau said:
Oh no.

Hmmm, based on photographic evidence, I'd say it's true, his legs are a bit bigger, especially in the calf area. As for "being in a cast for so long" I imagine he's been out of a cast for several months and has been working on his lower leg strength to reclaim his former athleticism and help build up for prevention of future problems. I know I would.

Having said that, I think the critiquing of Russ's body was a bit weird last season (and apparently continuing this year).

No, you'd need a pic of him last year in white spandex and a pic now of him in white spandex to compare. But to be sure you'd still need a tape measure.

I have some pictures of me where I look skinny and buff. Both aren't true.