Austin Davis

TalontedNoseRider

Reaction score
Subject: Kaepernick consolation prize.

Sorry if this has been discussed, but any news on Austin Davis?

Vast majority of feedback I've read, would indicate Boykin has been an absolute bag of trash in camp thus far.

Would be nice to hear something positive about the viable alternative at QB2.

Reality: Kaepernick + Seahawks now synonymous with Richard Sherman + Marina Fuentes

:shock:

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
I think somebody here posted something in the training camp section that Davis looks just as bad as Boykins. Don't take my word until I can find it.

Here it is-
http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seah ... ning-camp/

"Boykin hasn’t been very impressive through four days, but neither has the Seahawks’ other backup quarterback, Austin Davis."

Seymour

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":3pu8s9bn said:
Nobody is talking about it, but back-up QB is a major area of concern for this team.

Of course, if Wilson goes down...we are screwed anyways.

Pretty much my take on this too. Wilson goes down, our hopes pretty much go with him. That said, if he did go down for a 4 game or so stretch, someone that could keep us at 2-2 during that period could become a difference maker at seasons end.

Pretty sure Flynn is still looking for work, and would prob. be cheap.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":7qofm0e6 said:
Nobody is talking about it, but back-up QB is a major area of concern for this team.

If Dak goes down *allas is hosed, if Erin goes down GB is hosed. Same goes
With the rest of the NFL.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
If Davis was on this team last year, Wilson could have sat those 2-3 weeks after getting hurt. All we needed was a game manager who wasn't going to throw three picks a game and only be able to run 30% of the playbook cause he was a rookie.

That's why we signed Davis, Pete obviously didn't trust Boykin, and still doesn't. IMO Boykin will be cut, or at best on the practice squad where he should have been all along.

Steve2222

Reaction score
If we had a competent back up last year, I think Russell sits a few games last year. He needed to. Thus he could have had a few weeks off to get 100% instead of playing 70% the whole year. That's why back up is important. Like someone mentioned, if a starter goes down for the year yeah the teams screwed. However, like Pittsburgh last year, if you have a back up come in to ride the ship for a few weeks, that's where the back up is crucial and important.

We have no such luxury. If Russell is not playing, we will not win a game. I think it's irresponsible to just completely write off the position by the Seahawks front office and an unnecessary risk.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I still think ultimately we sign Kaep when we see what a total pile of crap Boykin and Davis are.

Hope and pray anyway

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":555yk6tf said:
If Davis was on this team last year, Wilson could have sat those 2-3 weeks after getting hurt. All we needed was a game manager who wasn't going to throw three picks a game and only be able to run 30% of the playbook cause he was a rookie.

That's why we signed Davis, Pete obviously didn't trust Boykin, and still doesn't. IMO Boykin will be cut, or at best on the practice squad where he should have been all along.

Judging by whats being written by Davis, find it hard pressed to believe he would have started 2-3 weeks. He's been so bad he's not even getting reps in practice right now. Maybe that's changed a little since the last report but, he's been dreadful and it's not like he's ever been all that great to begin with.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I find it interesting we seem to put so little into assuring we have a semi-competent backup.

One or two games can mean the difference between making the playoffs at all, or getting an important home field playoff game.

The logic escapes me.

What is our biggest weakness?

The OL

What is the job of the OL?

To protect the QB and open holes in the run game.

How good is our OL?

Worst in the league.

Well then at least we have a really big QB that can take hits repeatedly due to the substandard OL?

No our QB is actually below average size and spent last year mostly injured.

So we are hoping to keep the QB healthy by protecting him with one of the worst lines in the league?

Yep.

And then, after enduring an injured QB most of the year because we had one of the worst lines in the league - we are relying on the QB not getting injured this year because we have almost no backup to speak of?

Pretty much.

But at least we have a stellar run game to lean on so the QB does not take so much heat?

Well we hope someone steps up.

Sounds like a recipe for success to me.

Josea16

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":36m30b54 said:

Gee, news at 11 pm. Here are the facts.....90=95% of the time you're done if your starting quarterback is out for the season unless you're Miami currently because Tannahill sucks and Cutler actually gets Gase's offense.

Sealake80

Reaction score
If Wilson went out for a game I absolutely believe our team could still put up the W.

It doesn't matter who the QB is in my mind. Davis or Boykin or whoever.

We have a great defense. It's a team game. We could sneak a couple wins with a backup if we need it. Here is where most of you might laugh me outa the forum.... Even in the playoffs. haha.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
Boykin and it's not close at all, he's better than Davis and you don't have to change your Offense he's a dual threat.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Josea16":1k6dv3le said:
FlyingGreg":1k6dv3le said:

Gee, news at 11 pm. Here are the facts.....90=95% of the time you're done if your starting quarterback is out for the season unless you're Miami currently because Tannahill sucks and Cutler actually gets Gase's offense.

Which is why I said if Wilson goes down we are screwed anyways...

:2thumbs:

Gotta pay attention.

getnasty

Reaction score
If Wilson goes down for the year were screwed, but if Wison goes down for 4 games we need a guy that can get us 2 wins in those games. I think Austin Davis is a safer bet but Boykin has a higher ceiling.

capncrunch

Reaction score
I think just about anybody that watched the game last night would say Boykin > Davis. Boykin is an above average backup QB. Davis is not. Crappy little pass he threw to Collins that would have extended the drive. I will grant that Collins could've pulled it in. I remember thinking at the time that the kid who plays QB for my local high school makes a better pass there.

Latest posts